Literature / Horrible Harry
is a book series by Suzy Kline for young kids about the adventures of a typical second-grader named Harry who likes gross things and causing trouble. The books also follow the antics of Harry's fellow second-graders, including his best friend,
Doug; his crush
, Song Lee; his arch-rival, Sidney, and their teacher, Miss Mackle.Needs a Better Description
If you were looking for the other Harry that has a scar and glasses, go here
. Not to be confused with Horrid Henry
Provides Examples Of:
- Arch Enemies: Sidney and Harry.
- Book Dumb: Harry.
Cool Teacher Cool Principal: Mr. Cardini. He let Doug spike his hair.
- Disappeared Dad: Sidney's father is absent without explanation. His mother remarries in one of the books.
- Expy: The Drop of Doom from "Horrible Harry and the Drop of Doom" is clearly a expy of "The Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror" from Disney Hollywood Studios, Disney California Adventure, and Disneyland Paris.
- Fanboy: Dexter's main shtick is being an Elvis fanboy.
- Feud Episode: Three times.
- Follow the Leader: This series takes several cues from Ramona Quimby and The Magic School Bus.
- Girlish Pigtails: Mary.
- Hair Color Dissonance: Is Harry's hair black or dark red?
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Harry gets one in Horrible Harry and the Holidaze after his great-grandfather has to be sent to a nursing home because of a stroke.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Doug and Harry; Mary and Ida.
- In-Series Nickname: Harry and Sidney constantly refer to each other as "Sid the Squid" and "Harry the Canary."
- Jerk Ass: Sidney, Harry and Mary all have their moments, but Sidney takes it a step too far in Horrible Harry and the Ant Invasion when he kills a fish in the class fish tank so he can frame Harry.
Evil Jerk Ass Redhead: Sidney.
- Limited Wardrobe
- New Year Same Class
- Nightmare Retardant: In-Universe. In the first book, Harry crafts stud people and calls them "the scariest creatures in the world". On the day before Halloween, he releases them into his classroom and expects doom. Unsurprisingly, none of his victims were scared. Song Lee plays with the stud people, Sydney, Ida, and Mary never notice them, and Miss Mackle calls them cute.
- Not Allowed to Grow Up: Averted. The class and their teacher carry on into third grade.
- Not So Different: Sidney and Harry.
- Only One Name: Mostly played straight but sometimes averted. Everyone's last name is mentioned at some point; Harry (Spooger), Doug (Hurtuk), Song Lee (Park), Sidney (La Fleur), Dexter (Sanchez), Mary (Berg), Ida (Burrell), and Yousef "ZuZu" (Hadad).
- Our Dragons Are Different: In Horrible Harry and the Dragon War, Harry and Song Lee get into an argument about Asian and European dragons.
- Sassy Black Woman: Ida is an aversion. (Well, she's only seven or eight years old, so yeah.)
- Shown Their Work: All of the depictions of winter holidays from around the world in Horrible Harry and the Holidaze are certified 100% accurate.
- Tear Jerker: In-universe - when Miss Mackle is reading the part of Charlotte's Web where Charlotte dies, Harry and Song Lee cry.
- Token Minority: There's Song Lee (who's Korean), Mary (who is Jewish), ZuZu (who's Lebanese), Ida (who's black and has an ancestor from India), Dexter (who is Hispanic or Latin-American) and possibly Sidney (who's probably French because his last name is La Fleur).
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Sidney and Harry at times.
- Why Did It have To Be Elevators: Harry is terrified of elevators because of an incident in a department store (IIRC) that happened when he was three.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Song Lee, although she's Korean, not Japanese.