Literature / Horrible Harry
is a book series by Suzy Kline for young kids about the adventures of a typical second-grader named Harry who likes gross things and causing trouble. The books also follow the antics of Harry's fellow second-graders, including his best friend,
Doug; his crush
, Song Lee; his arch-rival, Sidney, and their teacher, Miss Mackle.Needs a Better Description
If you were looking for the other Harry that has a scar and glasses, go here
. Not to be confused with Horrid Henry
Provides Examples Of:
- Arch Enemies: Sidney and Harry.
- Book Dumb: Harry.
Cool Teacher Cool Principal: Mr. Cardini. He let Doug spike his hair.
- Expy: The Drop of Doom from "Horrible Harry and the Drop of Doom" is clearly a expy of "The Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror" from Disney Hollywood Studios, Disney California Adventure, and Disneyland Paris.
- Fanboy: Dexter's main shtick is being an Elvis fanboy.
- Feud Episode: Three times.
- Follow the Leader: This series takes several cues from Ramona Quimby and The Magic School Bus.
- Girlish Pigtails: Mary.
- Hair Color Dissonance: Is Harry's hair black or dark red?
- Heroic BSOD: Harry gets one in Horrible Harry and the Holidaze after his great-grandfather has to be sent to a nursing home because of a stroke.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Doug and Harry; Mary and Ida.
- In-Series Nickname: Harry and Sidney constantly refer to each other as "Sid the Squid" and "Harry the Canary."
- Jerk Ass: Sidney, Harry and Mary all have their moments, but Sidney takes it a step too far in Horrible Harry and the Ant Invasion when he kills a fish in the class fish tank so he can frame Harry.
Evil Jerk Ass Redhead: Sidney.
- Limited Wardrobe
- New Year Same Class
- No (Full) Name Given: Averted. Everyone's last name is mentioned at some point; Harry (Spooger), Doug (Hurtuk), Song Lee (Park), Sidney (La Fleur), Dexter (Sanchez), Mary (Berg), Ida (Burrell), and Yousef "ZuZu" (Hadad).
- Not Allowed to Grow Up: Averted. The class and their teacher carry on into third grade.
- Not So Different: Sidney and Harry.
- Our Dragons Are Different: In Horrible Harry and the Dragon War, Harry and Song Lee get into an argument about Asian and European dragons.
- Sassy Black Woman: Ida is an aversion. (Well, she's only seven or eight years old, so yeah.)
- Shown Their Work: All of the depictions of winter holidays from around the world in Horrible Harry and the Holidaze are certified 100% accurate.
- Tear Jerker: In-universe - when Miss Mackle is reading the part of Charlotte's Web where Charlotte dies, Harry and Song Lee cry.
- Token Minority: Averted. There's Song Lee (who's Korean), Mary (who is Jewish), ZuZu (who's Lebanese), Ida (who's black and has an ancestor from India), Dexter (who is Hispanic or Latin-American) and possibly Sidney (who's probably French because his last name is La Fleur).
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Sidney and Harry at times.
- Why Did It have To Be Elevators: Harry is terrified of elevators because of an incident in a department store (IIRC) that happened when he was three.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Song Lee, although she's Korean, not Japanese.