In Japan, a gate to another dimension has opened, giving violent alien lifeforms known as Neighbors the opportunity to cross into our world and wreak havoc. To combat this new threat, the organization Border was founded. Their soldiers use highly advanced weapons known as Trigger to fight the Neighbors and preserve the peace. They're all also in either middle school or high school.
Enter New Transfer Student
Kuga Yuuma, who has only recently moved to Japan and is unfamiliar with the local customs.
Mikumo, one of Kuga's classmates and a bonafide overachiever, tries to keep the school's bullies off of Kuga's back and teach the transfer student how to blend in. Kuga and Mikumo are, as you'd expect, quickly caught up in a sudden Neighbor attack. While Mikumo reveals himself as one of Border's soldiers, he's quickly outmatched by this Neighbor, but Kuga also turns out to have connections to Border and a powerful Trigger. However, after the battle, Kuga explains that he is not a Border agent. He's a Neighbor who crossed over to earth illegally!
A shounen manga that began in 2013, written and drawn by Ashihara Daisuke.
This page definitely Needs More Love
World Trigger Includes examples of:
- The Ace: Jin has been referred to as the best in Border.
- Adaptive Armor: Kuga's Black Trigger powers.
- A House Divided: Border is split into 3 faction.
Kido's faction want the destruction of all neighbors.
Shinoda's faction wants to protect the town and people only.
Rindou' faction want's to work with the good neighbors.
- Alien Invasion: Though with a premise like this, it was inevitable.
- Ambiguously Human:Kuga definitely
- Blue and Orange Morality: Let's put it this way: Kuga has almost no idea how human society works, apart from the very, very basics.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Yoneya Yousuke seems akin to this.
- BFS: The "Ray-Gust" Attacker Trigger which Mikumo uses.
- BFG: The "Ibis" heavy Sniper Trigger.
- Broken Ace: Kitora has shades of this what with her need to constantly prove herself.
- Call Back: In the first Chap no less.
- Child Prodigy: Kitora joined Borders at a young age and now is in A-class.
- Child Soldier: Most Border agents are very young, to the point that Mikumo's classmates discuss applying and getting recruited. It hasn't been made clear why this is the case yet, but it's likely due to an age limit, similarly to Candidate for Goddess.
- Subverted Kuga Yuugo was an adult and still able to use a Trigger. The same applies to the faction leaders of Border.
- Combat Clairvoyance: Jin's "Side Effect" which is basically a limited foresight.
- Cool Sword: Attacker Triggers.
- Creature Hunter Organization: The Border Defense Agency against the aliens called Neighbors, who's members use the aliens' own Trion energy powered weapons called Trigger. their members are people who have high trion levels. The BDA was formed specifically to defend against the neighbors. although it was revealed in the first episode that what they were fighting were actually just their drones called Trion Soldiers and that the neighbors are actually Humanoid Aliens.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: See Trojan Horse.
- Death Seeker: Kuga has no reason left to live since his father's death.
- Dual Wielding: Border agents can carry up to 8 Triggers into battle (active and supports) and often use two of them at once. Can result in Guns Akimbo and Sword and Gun, depending on the Triggers used.
- Evil Is One Big Happy Family: Averted to hell and back with the Neighbors. First, they are not Always Chaotic Evil any more than the members of any other species. Second, the reason Neighbors harvest and abduct humans in the first place is because the Neighborhood is a wartorn mess of planetoids trying to blow each other sky high, and earth is (from their perspective) a massive stockpile of fuel (in the form of Muggle Trion glands) and potential recruits. Compared to the scale of the Neighbors' wars, their excursions to Earth are barely noteworthy.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Osamu, Kuga, and now Chika
- First Episode Spoiler: Mikumo's status as a Border agent is revealed in chapter one, Kuga's status as a Neighbor in chapter two.
- Kuga revealed his nature at the end of chapter 1.
- Forever War: The Neighborhood is a godawful mess of these on a Warhammer 40K scale. If that weren't bad enough, and as long as this/these wars last, Neighbors will keep on looking for humans to enslave.
- Friendly Sniper: Satori Ken.
- Genre Savvy: The induction device allows neighbors to only pop up near their base instead of randomly throughout the city.
- Guns Akimbo: Pretty common among gunners. Satori, the Arashiyama-team's sniper, prefers doing this with two Sniper Rifles!
- Jerk Ass: The bullies and the muggers. Admitedly, Kuga was asking for trouble when he waved that wad of cash around in public, not that he understood that, though.
- Knight Templar: Commander Kido and his faction want to kill all Neighbors to avenge their loved ones.
- Heroes Unlimited: The Border Defense Agency.
- Heroic Vow: Osamu's promise to To protect Chika for her big brother.
- Humble Hero: Osamu
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: With the exception of "The Invasion," every chapter title is the name of the character most relevant to that chapter (and can be one-shots, non-uniques, or groups). It's also not exempt from using the same character more than once.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Every bully and mugger introduced so far either winds up out cold, attacked by a Neighbor, or with at least two broken bones.
- Loophole Abuse: Jin uses this so he won't kill and take Kuga's Trigger.
- Meaningful Echo: This exchange seems stir Osamu's memory's .
- Morality Pet: Mikumo seems to be this to an extent for Kuga.
- Morph Weapon: The "Scorpion" is a light sword-like Attacker Trigger that can change length and shape which makes it very versatile and the expense of being fragile.
- New Transfer Student: Kuga starts off as this.
- Nice Guy: Mikumo goes out of his way to help and protect Kuga, the school bullies and everyone else.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Kuga has Replica, a little black mokuna-like critter.
- Prophet Eyes: Jin side effect allows him to see the future.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Jin's boss Rindou Takumi.
- also General-Manager Shinoda Masafumi.
- Revenge Before Reason: Miwa Shuuji and the rest of Commander Kido's faction hate all neighbors for causing the deaths of their loved ones and would never consider making distinction between good and bad Neighbors like Kuga.
- Stepford Smiler: Behind Kuga's usually antics belies a young boy who feels he has nothing to live for and is just waiting until his death happens How freaking depressing is that.
- Took a Level in Badass: Osamu becoming a B-Class agent could count. Subverted in that he doesn't really become more competent from the promotion itself.
- Trojan Horse: the bug neighbors were attached to the wormster neighbor in chapter 1 allowing them to interfere with the border induction device.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Mikumo is incredibly mature for his age, deciding to keep his working for Border a secret despite the fact that it would likely scare off the school bullies, and working hard to get good grades.
- World Building: Each chapter reveals about this world.
- The types and capabilities of Neighbors.
- Borders inner workings, machination, hierarchy, and history.
- The types of working of Trion and Triggers.
- The nature of the world on the other side.