In Japan, a gate to another dimension has opened, giving violent alien lifeforms known as Neighbors the opportunity to cross into our world and wreak havoc. To combat this new threat, the organization Border was founded. Their soldiers use highly advanced weapons known as Trigger to fight the Neighbors and preserve the peace. They're all also in either middle school or high school.
Enter New Transfer Student
Kuga Yuuma, who has only recently moved to Japan and is unfamiliar with the local customs.
Mikumo one of Kuga's classmates and a bonafide overachiever, tries to keep the school's bullies off of Kuga's back and teach the transfer student how to blend in. Kuga and Mikumo are, as you'd expect, quickly caught up in a sudden Neighbor attack. While Mikumo reveals himself as one of Border's soldiers, he's quickly outmatched by this Neighbor, but Kuga also turns out to have connections to Border and a powerful Trigger. However, after the battle, Kuga explains that he is not a Border agent. He's a Neighbor who crossed over to earth illegally!
A shounen manga that began in 2013, written and drawn by Ashihara Daisuke.
World Trigger Includes examples of:
- Blue and Orange Morality: Let's put it this way: Kuga has almost no idea how human society works, apart from the very, very basics.
- BFS: Mikumo's Trigger.
- Child Soldier: Most Border agents are very young, to the point that Mikumo's classmates discuss applying and getting recruited. It hasn't been made clear why this is the case yet, but it's likely due to an age limit, similarly to Candidate for Goddess.
- First Episode Spoiler: Mikumo's status as a Border agent is revealed in chapter one, Kuga's status as a Neighbor in chapter two.
- Jerk Ass: The bullies and the muggers. Admitedly, Kuga was asking for trouble when he waved that wad of cash around in public, not that he understood that, though.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Every bully and mugger introduced so far either winds up out cold, attacked by a Neighbor, or with at least two broken bones.
- New Transfer Student: Kuga starts off as this.
- Nice Guy: Mikumo goes out of his way to help and protect Kuga, the school bullies and everyone else.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Kuga has Replica, a little black mokuna-like critter.
- White-Haired Pretty Boy: Kuga.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Mikumo is incredibly mature for his age, deciding to keep his working for Border a secret despite the fact that it would likely scare off the school bullies, and working hard to get good grades.