All done? Good. Now...
Hayami (real name Yasushi Ōhama) is one of the better-known veteran seiyuu in the anime world. He is known for the grandiosity of his voice, which often lands him the role of a Large Ham
and goes well with charismatic leaders, whether a Big Good
or Big Bad
. On the other hand, he can also portray complete psychopathic madmen very
convincingly, probably best known for his role as Sousuke Aizen of Bleach
. He is married to fellow seiyuu Rei Igarashi
, who is best known as Evil Matriarch Precia Testarossa
and Alpha Bitch Mira Kagami
. Perfect match.
Beware if someone voiced by him seems both good and affable: chances are he will turn out to be a heroic sociopath... and that's assuming he remains a hero at all
. Some of the exceptions are the archangel Uriel in the Angel Sanctuary
drama CDs, a little emo, but undeniably heroic. Three others are the title character, Exkaiser from Brave Exkaiser
, the title character, Da Garn from The Brave Figher of Legend Da Garn
, and the main robot, Gaine from The Brave Express Might Gaine
He's got rather a lot of fangirls, mainly because of his rich, husky baritone, which they find very sexy. Masakazu Morita
called him out on this at one live event, where 90% of the audience practically fainted the moment he opened his mouth. Masakazu jokingly asked him to tone it down lest he steal all the attention, and Show apologized, which only made the girls scream louder.
He adores Toshihiko Seki
, his junior.
Since Show likes the "Dr. Hayami" that he was dressed as when he had a guest appearance in Omaera No Tame Darou
, he has organized and produced the series S.S.D.S. (Super Stylish Doctor's Story)
, where Dr. Hayami is a lead role.
Notable roles by Show Hayami:
- Adalbert von Fahrenheit in Legend of Galactic Heroes (a talented strategist who took the wrong bait)
- Adan (Juan) in Pokémon... another good guy!
- Adolf Rätsel, alias Taiki Raioh in Lightning Legend: Daigo no Daibouken
- Akechi Mitsuhide in Sengoku Basara (undeniably his craziest character yet)
- Ayanami in 07-Ghost
- Bain in Saint Seiya
- President Brian Midcrid in Super Robot Wars Original Generation 2: The Inspectors
- Cruhteo in Aldnoah.Zero
- Eiri Masami in Serial Experiments Lain
- Archbishop Enrico Maxwell in Hellsing Ultimate
- Fortinbras in Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
- Frank Archer in Fullmetal Alchemist (a Jerkass and minor antagonist).
- Gakuho Asano in Assassination Classroom
- Ginias Sakhalin in Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team (it says something when an Ax-Crazy Mad Scientist is probably one of his least monstrous villain roles)
- Gavlet Gablae in Heavy Metal L-Gaim
- Hajime Ichijou in Princess Army OVA and Drama CDs
- Ice Masho Toryuki in the Ronin Warriors CD drama Suikoden.
- Ichiya Vandalay Kotobuki in Fairy Tail (Playing Against Type in one of the strangest ways)
- Jaguar in Space Channel 5 (he may be a loner, but he's still a hero dedicated to finding the truth)
- Joze in Kaiketsu Zorro
- Kei Katsuragi in Super Dimension Century Orguss
- King Torture in Samurai Flamenco
- Meister Kirisaki in Yakitate!! Japan
- Kiriyama Eiji in Linebarrels of Iron
- Klein Sandman in Gravion
- Kouji Nanjou in Zetsuai 1989 and Bronze. One of the Yaoi Guys and a Yandere, who also comes from a Big Screwed-Up Family.
- Leviathan the Alchemist in Gosick
- Lord Gremory in High School Dx D
- Magic in Manga/Papuwa
- Makoto Yamamoto in Irresponsible Captain Tylor
- Marco Maldini in The Law of Ueki
- Maximillian "Max" Jenius in Super Dimension Fortress Macross and Macross 7
- Melvin in Odin Sphere
- Multiple characters in the Japanese dub of The Transformers and Transformers: The Movie, including Ironhide, Ultra Magnus, and Spike as a kid.
- Dr. Muraki Kazutaka in Descendants of Darkness
- Nicholas D. Wolfwood in Trigun (a good guy!)
- Nobutsuna Naoe/Yoshiaki Tachibana in Mirage of Blaze
- Orson The Berserker and Black Knight Ashram in Record of Lodoss War. Rather curious case, though: Hayami voices Orson in the OAV and is darrin'ed by Nobuyuki Hiyama in the TV series... and then he becomes The Other Darrin by succeeding Akira Kamiya as Ashram. Orson himself is more or less The Stoic... until he gets pissed off (generally by seeing his partner Shiris in danger) and then goes off his fucking gourd.
- Osamu Sugo/Knight Schumacher in Future GPX Cyber Formula
- Prince Zera in Cutey Honey Flash
- Raoul Am in Ai no Kusabi 1990s OVA and CD Dramas (succeeded by Takaya Kuroda).
- Baron Ricks in Red Photon Zillion (First collaboration with Toshihiko Seki)
- Father Remington in Chrono Crusade (yet another good guy!)
- Ryuu Hojun in Kikokugai: The Cyber Slayer (Drama CD and upcoming remake)
- Saoshyant in Emerald Dragon
- Shion Zaites in Please Save My Earth
- Shousei in Busou Renkin
- Shu in the Suikoden II Drama CD (a good strategist, though starts out as a Jerkass and sometimes enjoys some puppy-punting after being good)
- Shun in Ar Tonelico 2 (a Noble Wolf)
- Sixknight in Transformers Super God Masterforce
- Snake of the Festival aka the guy sharing Yuji's body in Shakugan no Shana. Surprisingly, he's the Big Good.
- Sousuke Aizen in Bleach
- Spider Guildy/Arachne Guildy in Gonna be the Twin-Tail!!
- Tokiomi Tohsaka in Fate/Zero He voices the narrator in the Drama CD adaptation of the light novel, as well.
- Umibozu in Gintama (another good guy! well, more like a good father and currently the Strongest character in-universe)
- Vanilla Ice/Iced/Cool Ice in Jojos Bizarre Adventure Heritage For The Future and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure The Animation
- Vector Prime and the narrator in Transformers: Galaxy Force
- Wisemon in Digimon Xros Wars and Digimon Xros Wars: The Young Hunters Leaping Through Time (not just a good guy, but something of a mentor!)
- Woodrow/Garr Kelvin in Tales of Destiny (definitely a good guy)
- Yakushiji Tenzen in Basilisk
- Yasha in RG Veda (another of the good guys!)
- Zarbon in Dragon Ball Z
- Zeami in Tengai Makyou
Tropes relating to his roles:
- Anti-Hero: On a good day
- Anti-Villain: If neither villain nor Anti-Hero
- Badass Baritone
- Big Bad
- Big Good
- Evil Sounds Deep
- Kansai Regional Accent: Being that he's from the Hyogo Prefecture, expect some of his roles to have his characters speak in this, such as Nicholas D. Wolfwood.
- Large Ham
- Mr. Fanservice
- Playing Against Type: Adan (Juan) in Pokémon, Ichiya Vandalay Kotobuki in Fairy Tail, Umibozu in Gintama, Father Remington in Chrono Crusade, Wisemon in Digimon Xros Wars and Digimon Xros Wars: The Young Hunters Leaping Through Time, Judeau in the first Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood OVA, Yasha in RG Veda, Nicholas D. Wolfwood in Trigun, and surprisingly Snake of the Festival aka the guy sharing Yuji's body in Shakugan no Shana.
- Villains: His usual role