Brave Exkaiser (Yuusha Exkaiser) is the first installment in the Brave Series. It was broadcast in 1990 through 1991, and mostly draws inspiration from Transformers.The story begins with Space Police officer Exkaiser and his men, the Kaisers, pursuing a band of Space Pirates known as the Geisters to Earth. As Energy Beings, both the Kaisers and Geisters are forced to possess mechanical bodies before they can get anything done, though. Exkaiser himself possesses a car belonging to the family of a young boy named Kouta Hoshikawa, who soon discovers his secret and befriends him. With Kouta now by their side, the Kaisers fight to prevent the Geisters from looting Earth's treasures!Exkaiser was so popular, it soon spawned seven Brave shows after it. Even today, long-time fans still remember it fondly.
This show provides the following tropes:
- Bizarre Alien Biology: The Geisters are alien robots...Alien robots who can smoke, drink sake and eat cuckoo-clocks.
- Better to Die Than Be Killed: Dino Geist hurls himself into the sun, to avoid being captured by Exkaiser.
- Big Bad: Dino Geist, the leader of the Geisters.
- Calling Your Attacks: "JET BOOMERANG!" "THUNDER FLASH!!" "THUNDER ARROW!!"
- Captain Ersatz: The Geisters are essentially the Dinobots gone bad.
- Combining Mecha: The Raker Brothers, Max Team, and Exkaiser's auxiliary mecha.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The final battle between Exkaiser and Dino Geist.
- The Faceless: Dragon, Dragon Kaiser's drone form.
- Lighter and Softer: Compared to the more grim Jushin Liger anime, the show which previously held its timeslot, this show is about as kid-friendly as it gets.
- Laughably Evil: Despite being the most dangerous space pirates in the Galaxy, the Geisters have a collective IQ of about 5.
- Theme Music Power-Up: In episode 35, Kotomi playing the show's ending theme on the piano causes the battered Kaisers to have a Heroic Second Wind.