Creator / Nitro+
Nitroplus Co., Ltd.
(nitro+/Nitro Plus before the 2008 rebranding) is a Japanese game company specializing in Eroge
and Visual Novels
. Its works are almost invariably dark in tone
, with an abundance of Eldritch Abominations
, horror, rape, gore
Their first release was 2000's Phantom of Inferno
, also was main writer Gen Urobuchi's first work with the company. Subsequent games such as 2003's Saya no Uta
and 2008's Chaos;Head
garnered enough acclaim for the studio's popularity to reach levels comparable to that of Key/Visual Arts
and 07th Expansion
One of Nitro's most prolific creators is Gen Urobuchi
, who has gone on to write Fate/Zero
, Puella Magi Madoka Magica
, and Psycho-Pass
independent of the company. Vocalist Kanako Itou
is another frequent collaborator, having performed the musical themes for many of their VNs and anime adaptations. On a sad (and perhaps ironic) note, their music producer Shingo Minamino was murdered tragically and brutally in the middle of a busy street.
For some bizarre reason, the company responsible for so many dark and disturbing stories has a mascot in the pink-haired, baby-faced, be-headphoned Moe
character Super Sonico
.No relation to N Plus
Releases of Nitro+ (in chronological order):
- Phantom of Inferno (2000)
- Phantom INTEGRATION (2004)
- Phantom -Phantom of Inferno- (2012) - All-ages remake of the original game for the Xbox 360, with updated art and voice actors from the anime adaptation. A PC port was released in 2013.
- Vampirdzhija Vjedogonia (2001)
- Kikokugai The Cyber Slayer (2002)
- Kikokugai -Reichin Rinrinshan- (2011) - Remake of the original game with voice acting and toned-down sexual content (Rated 15+)
- "Hello, World." (2002)
- Demonbane (2003)
- Saya no Uta (2003) - one of Urobuchi's most famous— or infamous— works
- Angelos Armas (2005)
- Jingai Makyou (2005)
- Hanachirasu (2005)
- Sabbat Nabe - Nitro+ Amusement Disc (2006), a compilation disc which includes Dra Koi, Nitrowars, and Kaigen Seito (a Role-Playing Game spin-off of Hanachirasu)
- Gekkou no Carnevale - Carnevale de la Luce de la Luna (2007)
- Zoku Satsuriku no Django (2007) - also known as Tre Donne Crudeli
- Nitro+Royale - Heroines Duel (Comiket 2007) - a fighting game
- Chaos;Head (2008) - First entry of the Science Adventure Series, their collaboration with 5pb.
- Sumaga -STAR MINE GIRL- (2008)
- Sumaga Special (2010) - a Sumaga fandisc
- Full Metal Daemon Muramasa (2009)
- Full Metal Daemon Muramasa Stories of Evil Thoughts (2010) - a fandisc
- Steins;Gate (2010) - Second entry of the Science Adventure Series, their collaboration with 5pb.
- Axanael (2010)
- SoniComi - Communication with Sonico (2011)
- Motto! SoniComi - More Communication with Sonico (2013) - PS3 port of SoniComi, featuring reworked graphics and more content.
- Guilty Crown Lost Christmas (2012) - prequel to Guilty Crown
- Phenomeno - Chapter 1 (2012) - adaptation of the novel of the same name
- Robotics;Notes (2013) - Third entry of the Science Adventure Series, their collaboration with 5pb.
- Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi. or Totono (2013) - A deconstructed Romance Metafiction Game.
- Tokyo Necro (2016) (official tumblr account)
- Tokyo Necro DEFENDERS (TBA) - tie-in mobile game
Nitroplus also has a branch focused on producing Boys Love Visual Novels: Nitro+ CHIRAL. Its works are listed below:
In addition, people from the company have worked on, or are credited in, other works:
- Attack on Titan (their internal staff worked on the Blu-Ray visual novels. Additionally Nitro+ writer Gun Snark wrote the No Regrets spin-off manga)
- Aldnoah.Zero (TV series reuniting Urobuchi with Fate/zero director Ei Aoki, and co-produced between Nitro+, A-1 Pictures and TROYCAnote )
- Black Lagoon: Shaitane Badi (Light Novel, with Urobuchi as author)
- Blassreiter (TV series, with Urobuchi as scriptwriter for several episodes)
- Fate/Zero (Prequel of Fate/stay night; a series of four Light Novels produced in collaboration with Type Moon, with Gen Urobuchi as author)
- Coffin Princess Chaika (NamanikuATK designed the characters and did the novel's illustrations)
- Fuuun Ishin Dai Shogun (Makoto Ishiwata designed some of the mecha)
- Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (another Anime First by Production I.G. this time, with thus-far the first episode script and series composition done by Urobuchi, and the second episode script by fellow Nitro+ writer Gun Snark; a second season is in the works)
- Guilty Crown (has a PC game Spinoff written by Jin Haganeya, who is also part of the show's writing team)
- Kamen Rider Gaim (Toku series produced by Toei Company since October 2013, with Urobuchi as head writer and Nitro+ designing the monsters)
- Muv-Luv Extra and Muv-Luv Alternative (Niθ, for some of the mecha designs)
- Neppu Kairiku Bushi Road (TV special between Nitro+, Bushiroad, Bandai Visual and Kinema Citrus aired on December 31st, 2013)
- Nitroplus Blasterz Heroines Infinite Duel (A fighting game made in collaboration with Examu featuring the various heroines from their work as well as Saber as a Guest Fighter. Released in Japanese arcades in 30 April 2015. A console port on the PS3 and PS4 with cross-gen multiplayer support in Japan by MarvelousAQL and North America by XSEED Games will be released in winter 2015, exclusively featuring Homura from Marvelous/XSEED's Senran Kagura and Heart Aino from Examu's Arcana Heart as more true-to-the-definition Guest Fighters relative to Sabernote )
- Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ (based on the story from the visual novel Phantom of Inferno. Also had a few episodes penned by Gen Urobuchi)
- Psycho-Pass (TV Series by Production I.G airing in Fall 2012, with Urobuchi as lead scriptwriter; a movie and second season have been released)
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Anime First series by Studio Shaft airing in Winter 2011, with Urobuchi as scriptwriter, a Light Novel adaptation, a PlayStation Portable game released in 2012, and three theatrical films)
- Queen's Gate novels (a trilogy of side-stories from the Queen's Blade universe that take place in our modern world, rather than the QB's fantasy medieval one. Niθ designed the characters from those novels)
- Rakuen Tsuihou -Expelled From Paradise- (Anime film co-produced by Nitro+ and Toei Animation with a screenplay by Urobuchi)
- School-Live! (the manga is written by one of Nitroplus's staff members, Kaihou Norimitsu. In addition the script of the anime is written by them)
- SoniPro -Super Sonico in Production- (Collaboration with Imageepoch, an Idol simulation game featuring Super Sonico)
- Touken Ranbu (a free-to-play browser game about personifications of famous Japanese swords as good-looking young men, made in collaboration with Kadokawa Games)
- Thunderbolt Fantasy (a puppet show collaboration with Pili International Multimedia and Good Smile Company, written by Gen Urobutchi. Niθ is credited with character designs)
Tropes pertaining to them, and their works in general:
- Animal Motifs: Cats and Dogs, in the Chiral titles.
- all lowercase letters : The company name is stylized as 'nitro+'. Averted in their early days, where the logo had uppercase 'N' and is referred as 'Nitro Plus' (two words), instead of 'Nitroplus' (one word).
- April Fools' Day : They usually celebrate this every year. Highlights includes them quitting the whole industry altogether to become farmers in 2008.
- Awesome Mc Cool Name : Some of their staff uses these kind of names as their pseudonym. Highlights includes Digitarou (their CEO), NamanikuATK (spelled 'At-ta-kai' by the way, not 'Attack'), and the above-mentioned Gun Snark. One of their staff also has 'UNKNOWN GAMES' written as part of his pseudonym.
- Conspicuous CG : Most of the Background/Object images in their games are CG, made by CG Studio Polygon Bangcho/Nitroplus Arts. The artbooks usually shows the wireframes/rough models of said backgrounds.
- Cyberpunk : To date, they have made many works in this genre. Highlights includes "Hello, World", Kikokugai The Cyber Slayer, Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate, Psycho-Pass, and DRAMAtical Murder. Their newest title Tokyo Necro continues this tradition, which is basically Blade Runner WITH ZOMBIES!
- Deconstruction: The bread and butter of their body of work
- Goroawase Number: 2106, which is spelled 'Nitro', appeared in SoniAni and DRAMAtical Murder (as 2106 CR-L, with CR-L as 'Chiral').
- Magical Girl : Sumaga and Puella Magi Madoka Magica has main heroines that are these.
- Mascot Fighter : Nitro+Royale and Nitroplus Blasterz are these
- Meaningful Name : The current engine used for their games is called N2System. N2 is the chemical symbol of Nitrogen.
- Super Sonico is written as 'すーぱーそに子', which could meant 'Super Sound Girl' or 'Supersonic' (as in supersonic sound). Naitou-kun, on the other hand, is derived from 'Night', although could be a derivation of 'Nitro' ('Nai' is spelled as 'Ni' in english pronunciation).
- Lighter and Softer : Sumaga, DRAMAtical Murder, and Totono has visual designs and atmosphere that are this trope, but still.....
- SoniComi is a straight example of this trope
- Something Completely Different : SoniComi which is 100% Lighter and Softer than their other titles. Its also their first completely-3D title, before Robotics;Notes
- Vanity Plate : They used one in Saya no Uta (CG Sequence of a weapon-like thing opening to reveal their logo) and Lamento - beyond the void (a shot of characters' tail followed by N+C logo)