The story is set in the Bakumatsu era, at the end of the shoguns' rule over Japan in the middle of the 19th century. The Tokugawa shogunate uses the brainwashing Heaven's Songs by the top idols in Shinsengumi to subjugate the country and its people. In this Japan, writing or singing any songs besides the Heaven's Songs is a capital offense. Sakamoto Ryouma and the other rockers rise up and change the world with rock 'n' roll for freedom and justice. Received an anime adaptation by Studio DEEN in Summer 2014.
- Anachronism Stew: The first few seconds of the anime place the story in the Bakumatsu era. The next few show a very modern-looking concert.
- Autobots, Rock Out!: So far this is how every episode has ended.
- Conspicuous CG: How the Rock Sequence from Episode 2 looked.
- Idiot Hero: Ryouma definitely doesn't come off as very smart
- MacGuffin: Peace Souls.
- Power of Rock: The base of this entire anime.
- Public Bathhouse Scene: Majority of episode 4.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Ryouma's Red to Shinsaku's Blue, Shinsaku's Red to Kogorou's Blue.
- Shonen Hair: Ryouma's red hair and also the hair of his two friends really set them apart from the background characters, it probably signifies their PASSION.
- Shout-Out: The protagonist is a red-haired man with a cross-shaped scar on his left cheek.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Ryouma is described as having the PASSION, but he lacks any form of technique.