A pinball experience for the whole family.
Gomez: "Look everyone, we have guests!"The Addams Family
is a pinball
game designed by Pat Lawlor
, illustrated by John Youssi
, and released in 1992 by Williams Electronics
(under the Bally label). It is based on the 1991 film of the same name
, and Raul Julia
and Anjelica Huston
reprised their roles as Gomez and Morticia, respectively.
The game casts you as a visitor exploring the Addams' mansion, and the most obvious objective is survival. Not that it's easy, with the swamp and the graveyard out back, the electric chair in the parlor, the living bear carpet, secret passageways, and the blades flying around during the Mamushka. While Gomez and Morticia try to be supportive, Thing is ready to lend a hand
by helping you work the flippers. If you can get through all thirteen rooms (game modes), you get to Tour The Mansion
.The Addams Family
ultimately went on to became the best-selling pinball game ever, breaking all previous sales recordsnote
with 20,270 units sold. Bally eventually re-released the game in 1994 as The Addams Family: Special Collector's Edition
, with gold elements on the cabinets, more quotes in the game, and an expanded set of rules.
"Look everyone, we have tropes!":
- Animate Dead: The "Raise the Dead" mode.
Gomez: "Out to the cemetery! Come on, everybody!"
- Angrish: Cousin It lapses into an unintelligible version of this if he gets hit in "Hit Cousin It".
- Assist Character: Thing, who will help operate the left mini-flipper if "Thing Flips" is active.
Gomez: "Well played, Thing! You're really on the ball!"
- Bookcase Passage: The Bookcase leading to the Vault.
Gomez: "Ah, straight to the vault!"
- Building of Adventure
- Combos: Shoot the ball up the Bear Kick ramp, then through the Graveyard pop bumpers on the left side, and then up the Million Plus ramp for a Three-Way Combo bonus. If you shoot the Swamp after a Three-Way Combo, it becomes a Four-Way Combo.
- Creator Thumbprint: Gomez refers to The Power at the start of the Seance.
- Creepy Cemetery
- Creepy Child: Wednesday, who's hanging out in the graveyard.
- Deadpan Snarker: Morticia, whenever the player misses the skill shot:
"Don't torture yourself."
"You should know better."
- The Dev Team Thinks of Everything: If the player manages to shoot a pinball into the Vault while the Bookcase is closed, G-R-E-E-D will automatically be spelled, the bookcase will open instantly, and the first ball is locked.
- Electric Torture: The Electric Chair.
- The Faceless: Cousin It.
- Helping Hands: Thing will come out of his box at certain times to pluck pinballs.
Gomez: "That's the spirit, Thing, lend a hand!"
- Large Ham: Gomez. This is Raul Julia we're talking about here.
Gomez: "It has to warm up... so it can KILL YOU!"
- Licensed Pinball Table
- Limited Special Collector's Ultimate Edition: The Special Collector's Edition.
- Match Sequence: Thing drags a wagon carrying a bag of numbers, and when the wagon hits a bump, two numbers fall off the wagon and form the match.
- Mickey Mousing: During the attract mode, the machine will occasionally flip the lower flippers in tune to the finger-snapping of the Addams Family theme. Also happens during the bonus count.
- Off Model: Machines made late in the production run (during the switchover to the "Special Collector's" edition) exist with mixed gold and blue cabinet art. This occurred due to how pinball machines are made, with separate production trains for cabinets and backboxes.
- Poltergeist: The Power.
- Real Song Theme Tune
- Say My Name: "Gomez!" "Tish!"
- Spell My Name with an S: Just like the film it was based on, Cousin Itt's name is instead spelled "It".
- Spelling Bonus: G-R-E-E-D opens the Bookcase to the Vault, T-H-I-N-G gives a bonus and gets Thing to come out of his box, and G-R-A-V-E scores the Grave Bonus.
- Spooky Seance: The Seance and Super Seance, complete with The Power disrupting the ball.
- Skill Shot: The player has to gently plunge the ball so that it lands into Thing's eject saucer for 2 million points (and increases by one million for every skill shot made, until maxing out at 5 million), and also locks the ball if the locks are lit (up to two locks).
- Tap on the Head: "Hit Cousin It", where every shot lands on his head.
- Trilling Rs: "Grrrrrreeeeeeeeeed."
- The Unintelligible: Cousin It, especially during "Hit Cousin It".
- Wizard Mode: "Tour the Mansion", which awards the player 50 million points, lights the extra ball and outlane specials, maximizes the jet bumpers, then starts each of the six timed modes one after the other.
Morticia: "Rest in peace."