Photo Finish: Frootershy!
It is time to make — DE MAGICKS!
Written by Meghan McCarthy
Rarity and Fluttershy meet up for their weekly spa day, where Rarity announces that she's doing a fashion shoot with the famous fashion photographer Photo Finish, and proceeds to cajole Fluttershy into modelling her outfits. As they help prepare for what Rarity is convinced is her big moment, Spike decides to let Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie in on a secret: he has a crush on Rarity
. Twilight is unimpressed, especially when Spike makes them promise to keep his secret, but Pinkie adamantly insists that they agree:
Pinkie Pie: Losing a friend's trust is the fastest way to lose a friend forever!
Twilight Sparkle: But...
Pinkie Pie: Forever!
Photo Finish arrives for the big shoot, and is apparently impressed enough to ask to do another one, but it turns out she's interested in working with Fluttershy
, not Rarity. Fluttershy finds herself reluctantly catapulted into the life of a fashion model, while Rarity bites back her envy as best she can.
As luck would have it, Fluttershy and Rarity both confide in Twilight Sparkle their true feelings: Rarity is insanely envious of Fluttershy's success but is trying to be supportive and let her friend have "her moment to shine"; meanwhile, the meek and shy Fluttershy hates being the center of attention but doesn't want to let Rarity down after all her support and encouragement. Twilight drives herself up the wall trying to decide between letting her friends suffer and breaking her promise to keep their secrets, which is not helped by Pinkie Pie randomly showing up and reminding her that keeping secrets is Serious Business
Twilight eventually tries sabotaging Fluttershy's latest fashion show with her magic, but Rarity turns the crowd in Fluttershy's favor with her enthusiastic cheering. When Rarity visits Fluttershy afterwards to congratulate her, Twilight drives herself mad trying to keep from blurting out her friends' secrets. Fortunately for her, this becomes a moot point when Fluttershy and Rarity finally confess how they really feel about their situation, make amends for not telling each other sooner, and leave.
Unfortunately, the neurotic Twilight finally loses control and blabs about Spike's crush... to Photo Finish. Spike is quick to forgive her this slight lapse, and is prepared to write Twilight's letter to Celestia about what she's learned from this experience (that while some things are okay to keep secret, around friends it's usually better to be honest with your feelings)... once he's done fawning over Rarity, that is.
Tropes present in this episode (YMMV tropes can be found here):
- Absentee Actor: Applejack and Rainbow Dash each receive one two- or three-second voiceless appearance to advertise a newly-famous Fluttershy, and are not seen otherwise.
- Accidental Art: Invoked by Rarity to save Fluttershy's modelling career after Twilight had helped her act unattractive on stage. "She's invented an entirely new kind of modelling!"
- Aesop Enforcer: Pinkie appears in increasingly unlikely places throughout the episode to stop Twilight revealing her friends' secrets, even when doing so becomes counterproductive.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Rarity getting what she thought she wanted earlier on left her making the same mistake in the opposite direction later on.
- Big Word Shout: "FOREVER!"
- Brick Joke: Pinkie Pie's swear and Twilight's attempt to repeat it.
- Celebrity Is Over Rated: Fluttershy can't stand the overwhelming fan attention and the time it takes away from her friends
- The Confidant: Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle to Spike, Rarity and Fluttershy...The promise to not pass on the secrets is what causes most of the drama.
- Continuity Cameo: Hoity Toity can be heard among the voices praising Fluttershy at the first fashion show.
- Continuity Nod:
- Twilight messing up the second fashion show involves making Fluttershy fly upside down, which last happened to Rainbow Dash back in "Bridle Gossip".
- While preparing for the photo shoot in the park, one of the dresses Rarity throws over the screen border is the same one Twilight asked her to fix in "Suited For Success."
- The dresses Rarity had on a rack when Fluttershy took shelter from the paparazzi were the ones Rarity had designed for her friends in "Suited For Success."
- Death Glare: After Rarity says she wants to be left alone, and Spike repeats this to Pinkie and Twilight, only to try to sneak off to be alone with Rarity when it seemed like Pinkie and Twilight were gone. Twilight steps on Spike's tail, drags him out of the room, and then she and Pinkie give Spike an 'if looks could kill' glare usually reserved for the series' worst villains.
- Double Meaning Title: "Green", as in green with envy, and the "nature colors" Fluttershy wears.
- Enforced Method Acting: In-universe. Photo Finish increases Fluttershy's Moe appeal by taking pictures of her natural reactions to harsh criticism.
- Even the Girls Want Her: A great many mares start fawning over Fluttershy after she starts her modeling career. It becomes especially obvious after her Paper-Thin Disguise is knocked off by an overenthusiastic Twilight.
- Everybody Knew Already: Spike's crush on Rarity is known by everyone. "Secret of My Excess" reveals that Rarity herself always knew.
- Eye Scream: Pinkie Pie's "Pinkie swear" includes the line "Stick a cupcake in my eye." When doing the gestures, Twilight accidentally pokes herself in the eye with her hoof. (The proper form is to close the eye first.)
- Fashion Show: The climax takes place in one.