Film / Nowhere
is a 1997 movie written and directed by Gregg Araki as the third part of his "Teen Apocalypse Trilogy", following Totally ***ed Up
and The Doom Generation
It's a bizarre, surreal and sex-saturated black comedy set in a vaguely futuristic and apocalyptic Los Angeles, filled with petty, pretty, vacuous, bisexual, drug-addled teen friends. Throughout the movie, they get abducted by aliens, killed, or commit suicide amidst lots of Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll
as they try to get to an exclusive, rave-type party for more of the same. It is described as "90210 on acid
" on the VHS cover box, which is apt.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Dark in the beginning after crying that "L.A. is like nowhere".
- Alien Abduction: A man in a big green rubber lizard suit uses his Ray Gun to zap multiple teens.
- Anything That Moves: Mel.
- Big "NO!": After the credits.
- Brace Face: Dingbat.
- Brother-Sister Incest: Twins Alyssa and Shad's Dirty Mind-Reading as they think of their Parental Incest.
- But Not Too Black: There's the white actors, and the partially white actors.
- Caught with Your Pants Down: When Egg meets the Teen Idol.
- Club Kid: Just about everyone.
- Corrupt Church: The televangelist that makes teens commit suicide.
- Cringe Comedy: Lots of talk about bodily functions and diseases.
Cowboy: Did you hear about Marcus? His butt hole fell out and he has to have surgery!
Dark: Oh, Henry.
- CPR (Clean, Pretty, Reliable): Dingbat on Ducky.
- Depraved Homosexual: Pretty much all of the main characters. The ones that don't fit are simply not (explicitly) homosexual.
- Drugs Are Bad: The world is going to end because everyone is a bisexual drug user.
- Everybody Has Lots of Sex
Dingbat: Have you ever like - I know it's none of my business or anything but - I kinda heard this rumor that you're kinda like waiting for the right person?
Ducky: That is not true. Kay? I've done it. I'm so sure.
Dingbat: With who?!
Ducky: Lots of people a bunch of different times. Okay?
- Everyone Is Bi: Oh yes.
- Evil Laugh: Elvis, after beating Handjob's face in.
- Fetish: BDSM, armpit licking, threeways, and hermaphrodite porn stars that can Screw Yourself and other Conveniently Common Kink.
- Gainax Ending: While in bed with Dark, Montgomery turns out to have been an alien cockroach, who immediately leaves.
- Gay Cowboy: The gay guy called Cowboy.
- Gayngst: Dark's constant whining for true love and lamenting about being doomed.
- I Call Him "Mr. Happy": "I missed you." "You mean Gilligan here missed me?"
- Hollywood Atheist: "You have to believe in something!" "No I don't. Tie me up."
- Idealized Sex: No breasts allowed.
- Kick the Dog: Multiple times, but especially the affable Handjob's Warhol soupcan-to-the-head murder, and also when The Teen Idol beats Egg and says I Have You Now, My Pretty before raping her. And also the effect of suicide on friends and family.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Lucifer.
- Lust: Shad and Lilith.
- Mind Screw: Has its moments, such as the alien sub-plot that goes on in the background.
- Mood Whiplash: The whole damn movie.
- My Girl Is a Slut: Mel Really Gets Around.
- Obliviously Evil: Ignoring a car wreck and talking about zits.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Most of the cast.
Egg: Well, I mean my real name's Polly, but my friends all call me Egg. Dweeby, I know. But it just kinda stuck.
- Phone Booth: No one has a cell phone!
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Lucifer and Mel.
- Sex Is Cool: "Your tongue is cool!"
- Sex Montage: Full of them.
- Sorry, I'm Gay: Lucifer's fist when a guy asks, "My jizz on your face?"
- The Stoner: Bart and Handjob mostly, but everyone else too
- Straight Gay: They're all so straight-acting.
- Thematic Series: With The Doom Generation and Totally F***ed Up.
- The Twink: Bart. Also Montgomery, trying to be averted with his duel-colored eyes and stutter.
- Twin Threesome Fantasy: Mel with Surf and Ski.