Film / Nowhere
is a 1997 movie written and directed by Gregg Araki as the third part of his "Teen Apocalypse Trilogy", following Totally ***ed Up
and The Doom Generation
It's a bizarre, surreal and sex-saturated black comedy set in a vaguely futuristic and apocalyptic Los Angeles, filled with petty, pretty, vacuous, bisexual, drug-addled teen friends. Throughout the movie, they get abducted by aliens, killed, or commit suicide amidst lots of Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll
as they try to get to an exclusive, rave-type party for more of the same. It is described as "90210 on acid
" on the VHS cover box, which is apt.
- Depraved Bisexual: Played with. Everyone is too vapid and concerned with having sex to notice the space aliens taking over or really care about one another. On the other hand, Dark's determination to find true love and emotion with Montgomery makes him sympathetic and something of the Only Sane Man in the bleak world of the film.
- Drugs Are Bad: The world is going to end because everyone is a bisexual drug user.
- Everybody Has Lots of Sex
Dingbat: Have you ever like - I know it's none of my business or anything but - I kinda heard this rumor that you're kinda like waiting for the right person?
Ducky: That is not true. Kay? I've done it. I'm so sure.
Dingbat: With who?!
Ducky: Lots of people a bunch of different times. Okay?
- Mind Screw: Has its moments, such as the alien sub-plot that goes on in the background.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Most of the cast.
Egg: Well, I mean my real name's Polly, but my friends all call me Egg. Dweeby, I know. But it just kinda stuck.
- Phone Booth: No one has a cell phone!