Film / Nowhere
is a 1997 movie written and directed by Gregg Araki as the third part of his "Teen Apocalypse Trilogy", following Totally ***ed Up
and The Doom Generation
It's a bizarre, surreal and sex-saturated black comedy set in a vaguely futuristic and apocalyptic Los Angeles, filled with petty, pretty, vacuous, bisexual, drug-addled teen friends. Throughout the movie, they get abducted by aliens, killed, or commit suicide amidst lots of Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll
as they try to get to an exclusive, rave-type party for more of the same. It is described as "90210 on acid
" on the VHS cover box, which is apt.
- Depraved Homosexual: Pretty much all of the main characters. The ones that don't fit are simply not (explicitly) homosexual.
- Drugs Are Bad: The world is going to end because everyone is a bisexual drug user.
- Everybody Has Lots of Sex
Dingbat: Have you ever like - I know it's none of my business or anything but - I kinda heard this rumor that you're kinda like waiting for the right person?
Ducky: That is not true. Kay? I've done it. I'm so sure.
Dingbat: With who?!
Ducky: Lots of people a bunch of different times. Okay?
- Mind Screw: Has its moments, such as the alien sub-plot that goes on in the background.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Most of the cast.
Egg: Well, I mean my real name's Polly, but my friends all call me Egg. Dweeby, I know. But it just kinda stuck.
- Phone Booth: No one has a cell phone!
- Sorry, I'm Gay: Lucifer's fist when a guy asks, "My jizz on your face?"
- The Stoner: Bart and Handjob mostly, but everyone else too