Homura: "Now, one last time before we begin... give me your word that you won't offer to make contracts with them."Stars Above
is a fanfic written by Tropers BHS
. Based loosely on the events of a long-running
RP on the TV Tropes Forum
, the story is a Puella Magi Madoka Magica
/Lucky Star Intercontinuity Cross Over
A typical day at Ryouou High
takes a turn for the strange when a mysterious transfer student
enters Kagami's class: Homura Akemi
. The new girl doesn't show emotions
and doesn't speak a spare word to anyone
, but whenever Kagami looks her in the eyes she feels something she can't explain. On the train ride home from school, Kagami, Konata, and Tsukasa are attacked by a terrifying creature. Homura appears and kills the monster, then apologizes to Kagami, saying that the attack "wasn't supposed to happen" before wiping her memories of the incident.
The problem is, the memory wipe doesn't take.
The next day at school, Kagami demands answers... and the truth is stranger and more terrible than she could imagine. Coming back from two years after Madoka's ascension (thus ignoring the events of Rebellion), Homura and Kyubey have fled from their own world, which is on the verge of death due to Kagami's Alternate Self transforming into a Demon and attacking the Earth. They have crossed over to this new timeline to prevent the apocalypse from happening again... but the Demons have crossed over at well, and are targeting Kagami and Tsukasa.
In the midst of the growing chaos, an impossible friendship starts to bloom into something more...
A Yuri Genre Crossover Ship
fic that aims to be "as awesome as possible", according to the authors. Now has a Characters Page, under construction
has Bonus Material
including two side-stories, My Sunshine
, and profiles for each of the Demons of the Nine, which can be found here.
The story is also posted on Archive of Our Own
You may also want to check out Tasakeru
, an original work written by BHS
, who wouldn't even think of indulging in Shameless Self-Promotion
This story's versions of Kagami and Homura both have character blogs
: Stars Above Kagami
and Stars Above Homura
There is a discussion thread
for this story on the TV Tropes Forum
This fic and its related materials are also posted on DeviantArt
and AO3 (Archive Of Our Own)
, in addition to its home on Fanfiction.net
Also see Respect
and Shattered Skies
, unrelated CrossOvers
by the same author.WARNING! Here there be SPOILERS. It is highly recommended that you finish watching the Madoka anime before reading the story or looking at this page!Needs Wiki Magic Love.
This work provides examples of:
- All Deaths Final: The Puellae Magi are well aware of this. 2012!Kagami, however...
- All There in the Manual: The names, natures, origins, and background information about the Nine are explained largely though their profiles, written in the style of the Madoka website's Witch Cards.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Homura, initially stoic and unfriendly as usual, until she opens up to Kagami.
- Apocalypse How: Vittoria's attack on Earth in the Madoka-verse resulted in one of Scope Level 3 (Planetary). The Severity is Level 2 (Societal Collapse), verging on Levels 3 (Species Extinction) and 4 (Total Extinction) due to the damage to causality and the climate. Only one or two billion people are left, and every city and town is said to be in ruins. The Demons are now aiming for a Class Z Omniversal Physical Annihilation.
- Apocalypse Maidens: Kagami contains the Demon that could destroy The Multiverse... and by thge final chapters Tsukasa contains another, unnamed one, similarly powerful. This overlaps with Barrier Maiden, see below.
- Arc Words: "The stars above will fall, and all will come to ruin."
- Barrier Maidens: Both of the Hiiragi twins are this to The Multiverse... their survival keeps everything from falling apart.
- Beta Couple: Tsukasa and Miyuki. Except not, as Miyuki has been replaced by a shapeshifting Demon.
- Big Damn Hero:
- Homura's rescue of the Hiiragis and Konata on board the train.
- Konata's transformation and arrival during the final battle.
- Big Damn Kiss: In Chapter 17, after a night of terrible battles and even more terrible trauma.
- Bonus Material: My Sunshine, a side-story set during the early days of the war between the Puellae Magi and Vittoria. The second side-story, Pioneer, takes place months after the war's end and stars Nico Kanna. There are also the Demon Profiles, written in the style of the Witch Cards.
- Break the Cutie: Everyone. The casts of both series get put through the wringer.
- Break Them by Talking: The Second is an expert at this, and takes perverse pleasure in it.
- Calling Your Attacks: Mami, of course, continues to do this as well as the Pleiades Saints. Homura also takes to naming her ultimate attack, "Requiem Violetta", and credits Mami for it. By the end, all of the Stars Above have named attacks: "Blue Moon Sapphire Power Kiss" for Konata, "Ultima" for Miyuki, "Demon Slayer" for Tsukasa, and "Starry Night" for Kagami.
- The Cameo: Madoka appears to Kyoko to take her Soul Gem when she runs out of power.
- In Chapter 5, Nurse Amahara from the Lucky Star manga makes an appearance. Minoru Shiraishi has a single line in Chapter 6, when he informs Miss Kuroi that Miyuki has been gone for a long time.
- Cameos of the Kazumi and Oriko characters are found throughout the 2012 flashbacks in Chapters 7, 8, and 9.
- Every Magical Girl ever appears in Kagami's dream in Chapter 12. Specifically alluded to are Tokyo Mew Mew, Revolutionary Girls, the Magic Knights, Cardcaptor Sakura, the Wedding Angels, all of the Precure, the TSAB agents and the Wolkenritter, all 108 Devil Hunters, and every Sailor Senshi and Puella Magi to ever exist.
- Soujiro Izumi, Yui Narumi, and Yutaka Kobayakawa appear in Chapter 18.
- Minami Iwasaki cameos as a Chekhov's Gunman in Chapter 20.
- Caught with Your Pants Down / Interrupted Intimacy: How Kagami finds out about Tsukasa and Miyuki's relationship.
- Circles of Hell: The Nine modeled themselves after the Circles in Dante's Hell.
- Cloning Gambit: Desideria pulled this with one of her Spawn. She let it feed until it transformed into a copy of herself, let it read her memories, and allowed the copy to take her place and be killed by Kagami.
- Conflicting Loyalty / It's Not You, It's My Enemies: The reason why Homura decides to take some distance from Kagami. She thinks that she's betraying Madoka by falling in love with another girl after Desideria goads her about it, but she also doesn't want Kagami to get hurt in the crossfire that keeps getting violent. The later situation is ironically not unlike the events of Madoka Magica.
- Continuation: Of the Madoka anime. The story deliberately ignores the events of Rebellion, as it was written and planned well before the movie's release.
- Continuity Nod / Mythology Gag: The first line of Chapter 1 is "... and it really stinks, doesn't it?"
- Konata's text to Kagami reads in part, "EVENT FLAG GET!" As in the anime, Kagami still has no idea what she's talking about.
- Sayaka is indirectly mentioned in Chapter 3. The beginning of her tragic breakdown is recalled in flashback in Chapter 9.
- Kyoko remembers a scene from the Madoka anime's finale in Chapter 4 as she dies.
- The "You Are Not Alone" message is repurposed as a sacred prayer known by all Puellae Magi.
- Nyamo, the white cat seen yawning and sleeping in the eyecatches of every Lucky Star episode, is mentioned as Tsukasa's pet in 2012.
- Airi Anri and Yuuri Asuka, and Umika Misaki and Kaoru Maki from the same series, are couples in 2012, as are Oriko Mikuni and Kirika Kure.
- 2012!Kagami turns up her nose at a can of Morning Rescue.
- Anime Tenchou is briefly mentioned in Chapter 12.
- The dialogue at the twins' birthday party is almost identical to the same scene in Lucky Star Episode 4, only with a few significant changes to reflect that the timeline has been altered.
- Crossover Shipping: The story was totally not written with an ulterior motive of promoting the authors' Kagamura ship.
- Darker and Edgier: At least when compared to the much lighter Lucky Star anime/manga. It's even pushing it at times in the Madoka-verse's case.
- Dark Magical Girl: Homura, obviously. Though significantly more heroic than she initially appeared in the Madoka anime, her determination and ruthlessness have not changed.
- Demonic Possession: Konata in chapter 15, given a Brand and forcibly converted into one of the Sixth's Spawn. Several chapters later, the Seventh briefly possesses Tsukasa when she seals it inside her body.
- Despair Event Horizon: 2012!Kagami crosses it in heartbreaking fashion when she learns that Homura can't make the pain of losing her sister go away.
- Homura and all four Lucky Star girls cross it by the end... only to rebound in spectacular fashion.
- Determinator: All of the Puellae Magi, especially Homura. They fought on until there were only four left.
- Dies Wide Open: Tsukasa and Kazumi in the Madokaverse both die staring upward, at the sky and at the ceiling respectively.
- Dope Slap: First with a bento box, then with a pillow. Both times Konata is the recipient.
- Eldritch Abomination: Vittoria fits the bill, and later Desideria mutates into a huge rift described as a living time/space paradox.
- Emotion Eaters: The Demons feed on a person's Heart, the core of their emotions.
- The End of the Multiverse As We Know It: This will occur if anything happens to Kagami and Tsukasa, the "multiversal focal points".
- Enemy Within: It seems like Vittoria already exists in Kagami's head, clouding her mind and making her almost lash out at the already beaten up Homura for letting Jovanni's monks take Konata hostage.
- A more obvious example is probably when Kagami accidentally snaps the neck of one of Kyubey's bodies when she's freaking out about Tsukasa going missing.
- She nearly gets loose at the end of Chapter 25 after Kagami's Extreme Melee Revenge against the Second.
- The Corruption: She also seems to have given Kagami the ability to fight demons, despite not being a Puella Magi.
- Not exactly. At least some of that was Kagami's Star powers trying to emerge.
- Everybody's Dead, Dave: Every Puella Magi on Earth teamed up to battle Vittoria, Kagami's Demon form. Only four survived.
- Extreme Melee Revenge: Kagami turns the Second into a bloody smear with her bokken.
- Fantastic Arousal: Played as darkly as possible with Desideria's rape of Homura.
- Feel No Pain: The mechanism of this one nature of magical girls is explained as the "pain switch", where in an extreme case, a magical girl sacrifices her movement and speed for numbness of their body. An example of the technique is when Homura takes a spear that almost severs her torso without dying, and lets Kagami hit her with her bokken to destroy Demon Spawn that latch on all over her body.
- Genre Savvy: Konata, of course. She recognizes what kind of fic this is before anyone else does. But said genre savvy bites her in ass when she realizes that Homura is a standard Mysterious Transfer Student like in anime and follows her around the town to see her secret, and effectively gets caught in a crossfire.
- Genius Loci: Jovanni, the Sixth, takes the form of a twisted cathedral made from volcanic rock. He also has the ability to turn his Branded into his monks, which confuses Homura at first-she thinks they're the Demons.
- The Heartless: The Demons, feeding on emotions and possessing little to none of their own.
- Hell Hound: Ciacco, the Third, an enormous and emaciated rabid dog with a stomach full of maggot Spawn.
- Heroic BSOD: Homura suffers a terrible one after Desideria reveals all her secrets to Kagami, and violates her Soul Gem while wearing Kagami's form immediately afterward.
- Kagami has one at the end of her fight with the Second. This time around, Homura talks her out of it.
- Heroic Second Wind: Homura's Soul Gem is already blackened before the Third's battle and she is supposed to fade per the usual Law of Cycle, but not only does she not fade, her Soul Gem becomes bright again. Kyubey, who is understandably confused, discusses it with her. She gets another one later when Kagami reminds her that she's not alone.
- Idiosyncratic Chapter Naming: Just as in Madoka, the title of each chapter comes from a line of dialogue within it.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Homura at the end of Chapter 10. She gets Taken for Granite immediately after.
- Imprison And Replace: The Second's MO.
- Improvised Weapon: Kagami's school bag in Chapter 4.
- Intercontinuity Cross Over: Between Lucky Star and Puella Magi Madoka Magica. The first work of its kind to do so. The story also unites characters from the Madoka, Kazumi, and Oriko timelines in the Madoka-verse.
- Is That What You Told Her?: Said by Kyubey in Chapter 5. Homura's explanation as to what happened to her timeline's Hiiragi twins wasn't entirely truthful...
- It Can Think: It's soon revealed that Demons are just as intelligent as humans, and capable of long-term planning. And sadism, in the Second's case.
- The Juggernaut: Gaspare, the Fourth, a knight made of solid lead. Homura throws half her arsenal at it, and nothing works until she impales it with its own lance and spears it with her Finishing Move for good measure.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: Tsukasa, and one chapter later, Kazumi, as the first victim of Vittoria.
- Love Hurts: Dear lord.
- Meaningful Echo: "Believe in us", "Do your best", and You Are Not Alone.
- Meanwhile, in the Future: Chapters 4 through 9 use this trope.
- The Multiverse: Kagami and Tsukasa are its Barrier Maidens.
- New Transfer Student: Homura, just as in the Madoka canon, but with a twist...
- Not What It Looks Like: The title of Chapter 5, said when Tsukasa misinterprets Kagami lying in Homura's lap.
- Oh, and X Dies: Tsukasa in the alternate timeline, leading to Kagami's Start of Darkness.
- Pre-Climax Climax: Kagami and Homura spend the night together in Chapter 27, just before they go to face the Ninth.
- Rape as Drama: The Second was doing this when she played with Homura's Soul Gem. Combined with the psycholoigical torture Homura was put through, it's no wonder she was catatonic by the end of it.
- Rage Against the Reflection: A variation of this. The reflection Homura rages against is the Second, having shifted into a doppelganger of her past self. Kagami gets a turn at this several chapters later.
- Screw Your Mission, I'm Doing What's Right: Said by Kagami to Kyubey in Chapter 4.
- Second Love: In a literal fashion for Homura, and a punny one for Tsukasa.
- Secret Relationship: Tsukasa and Miyuki, until Chapter 13.
- Shape Shifter: The Second, who imprisons Miyuki in the lens of her own glasses and assumes her form. Airi Anri also this, and she's in the force of good now unlike in her series.
- Shout-Out: Most of them come from Konata, naturally.
- Start of Darkness: Chapter 9 shows 2012!Kagami's gradual descent into Demonhood.
- Supporting Leader: Oriko Mikuni takes command of all of Earth's Puellae Magi in the 2012 timeline
- Swallowed Whole: Kagami gets eaten by the Third in Chapter 15.
- Taken for Granite: Homura gets temporarily turned into a gold statue by the Fourth.
- The Stoic: Homura, though she's a little more free with her emotions than she was in the Madoka anime.
- Theme Naming: The Nine are given sobriquets that are patterned after the nine circles of Hell.
- Title Drop: Done twice in Chapter 5, the first time by Oriko and the second by one of the Demons.
- And then done a third time in Chapter 25 by Desideria.
- Used several times as Arc Words towards the end: The stars above will fall, and all will come to ruin.
- And, finally, Stars Above is adopted as a name by the team of Magical Girls.
- Tsundere: Kagami, as always. Konata mentions this by name.
- Visions of Another Self: Oriko reveals to Homura that she has dreams of the other timelines, and knows of all the hell Homura's been through as a Puella Magi.
- The Virus: Jiovanni's Rite of Coversion turns humans into his grotesque red-cloaked monks. Poor Konata.
- Weirdness Magnet: As "multiversal focal points", Kagami and Tsukasa are living WeirdnessMagnets, and irresistible targets for the Demons.
- Wham Line: Two in rapid succession in Chapter 4: "We're all that's left," and "Neither of us killed that Demon... you did."
- Whole Chapter Flashback: Chapter 9.
- Wooden Katanas Are Even Better
- World's Strongest Puella Magi: Homura is explicitly called this, and thus tasked with the protection of Kagami in the 2012 timeline.
- You Are Not Alone
- You Can't Go Home Again: Homura and Kyubey's trip back from the 2013 Madokaverse was one-way. It took a significant power boost to go back that far, and there's no way to return to their own time or universe.