Some variations on the theme.
A scene where it is made very clear that a character has found something so hot that they have to go somewhere where they can perform some immediate self-service
Named from Firefly
, where after a particularly suggestive conversation, Jayne
comments "I'll be in my bunk." and promptly exits stage left.
Compare Get a Room!
open/close all folders
- In A Deeper Blue by John Ringo, Katya was infiltrating a drug runner's boat by playing an airhead beach bunny dressed in a tiny bikini. Greznya (also dressed in a tiny bikini, this is a John Ringo book) was visiting the boat and passed along a message capsule through a bottle of vodka. To cover it, two of the girls got into a cat fight. The bad guy who had video surveillance of the entire boat told his boss "I'm sure they didn't pass anything to each other. I ran that clip a dozen times. Maybe more. Zoomed all over it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to my quarters..."
- In Nemesis of the Horus Heresy, an Eversor Assassin reacts this way when he is first shown the crate of weapons the team will be using on their mission.
Live Action TV
- Trope Namer: In the Firefly episode "War Stories," Jayne's response to the discovery that Inara is going to be servicing a female counselor on board her shuttle is "I'll be in my bunk."
- The line is repeated by Casey, also played by Adam Baldwin, in the Chuck episode "Chuck Versus The Broken Heart" when he sees his Distaff Counterpart do a sexy gun cleaning.
- Rachael and Monica lose their apartment in a bet with Chandler and Joey, but finally get it back when they agree to kiss for a minute. The two guys then go into their rooms as soon as that is over.
Chandler: Good night!
Joey: Good night!
- The trope also manifests in an episode where Chandler asks Monica and Rachel for sexual advice. Monica's advice becomes ... rather enthusiastic. When Monica finishes, totally orgasmic just from her description, she races off to her bedroom, Rachel races off to her own bedroom and Chandler races off to the bathroom.
- A notable example in Seinfeld ("The Contest", about the four main characters wagering on who can go the longest without masturbating). Kramer loses his willpower almost instantly, just from catching a glimpse of Jerry's nude neighbor, and while he doesn't say much before he excuses himself from the room, he's back very quickly with his forfeit and the declaration "I'm out!"
- In an episode of How I Met Your Mother, Marshall imagines going back in time to stop his 13-year-old self from smoking his first cigarette by giving him a picture of Lily, to which Young Marshall comments, "Wow, she's hot." Marshall tells his younger self that he will marry her in the future. Surprised and excited, Young Marshall runs off, saying "I'll be in my tent."
- In the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Perfect Mate", Riker says something close to the trope name after being kissed by the empathic metamorph:
"Riker to bridge. If you need me, I'll be in holodeck four."
- In an episode of Spin City, after Michael and Caitlin get hot and heavy (apparently, office small talk turns her on) only for her to leave in the middle of it, Michael sits down, sighs, looks at his hand and asks "So, how was your day?"
- In The Big Bang Theory when Amy is talking to Sheldon and starts fantasising. She runs to her bathroom to brush her teeth. Made funnier by the fact that in an earlier episode, she mentioned a vibrating toothbrush she uses in her "relaxation techniques for ladies". She calls it Gerard.
"I need to go brush my teeth. It might take a while."
- In the 1970s TV Series Hot L Baltimore, a character who is implied to be gay by his "swish" demeanor and stereotypical gay mannerisms, mentions in one episode where he is "going into the toilet and meditate."
- Dykes To Watch Out For: After being turned down for sex by her husband Stuart (due to baby-related exhaustion), Sparrow gets up. When asked where she's going, she says, with full quote marks, "To 'take a shower'"
- In Dragon Age: Origins, the Warden may ask Oghren how he feels about his wife cheating on him with another woman. The description of what he "can't help but" imagine them doing together ends with him telling the Warden that he needs a few minutes in his tent before they continue.
- In Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Iron Bull uses a qunari phrase that translates most closely to "I will bring myself sexual pleasure later, while thinking about this with great respect."
You shouted that
while a dragon was breathing fire at us?!
- In Mass Effect 1, Ashley nearly uses this line verbatim if Man!Shep turn her down at Ilos.
- Kingdom of Loathings description for the "Dirty Pear" effect:
Of all the suggestive fruits, none is more so than the pear. I mean, just... look at it. The top part, the... bottom part, the... I need a minute alone.
- Used in Vision of Escaflowne Abridged when Folken is discussing the Incestuous Bisexual Ninja Catgirls, and noting In-Universe all the Fetish Fuel they had.
Allen: Question, did they ever dress up in little maid outfits?
Folken: Once, For my birthday.
Allen: I'll be in my chambers, no visitors.
- The Quest For Geekdom: After Arthur has seen so many good looking men in his Top 12 Animated Hunks video, he needs to...take care of something.
- In Red vs. Blue Season 9, Grif says this line verbatim and walks back to Red base. Of course, being Grif, he's actually just going to try to sleep through the cataclysmic situation he's currently in.
- Spoken exactly by Nella in The Nostalgia Chick review of Kate and Leopold.
- In the "Ninja Turtles" episode of After Hours, Michael feels the need to drop everything and run to Blockbuster once somebody clues him in about "pseudo-porn for women" (also known as Sex and the City).
- The Spoony One directly quotes this during his Final Fantasy VIII review, right after seeing Quistis.
- After Molotov Cocktease lives up to her name in The Venture Bros., Brock— with a very visible erection— leaves the room to "take care of something".
- In Family Guy, Brian invokes this trope not because he finds something arousing, but from sexual frustration after he's in a Sexless Marriage with Lois for a year, and Peter shows up the very day that Lois was going to consummate.
Lois I tell ya, Brian, it's a good thing Peter came back when he did. I was ready to push the beds together tonight and take you for a ride around the friggin' WORLD!!
Brian: ...I'll be in the basement.
Peter: Doing what?
Brian: What do you think?!
- Another example is fake trailer for a movie called "Masturbator And Commander" (a play on Master and Commander) where the commander will be "out in a minute" during a battle.
- In a Robot Chicken sketch parodying Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers has the main male cast react this way to Gadget deciding to go half-naked.
Dale: I have to go to the bathroom!
Monterrey Jack: I'm gonna take a quick shower!
Chip: I'll be in my room with the door locked!