Get a Room!
"Hey, is it still funny to yell "get a room"? I don't care, I'm going for it. [yells] Get a room!"Stock Response to two characters acting in an unusually lovey-dovey way, or flirting (but generally what each character thinks of as covertly, since they often Cannot Spit It Out). Occasionally used sincerely in the event of Coitus Uninterruptus, and in the other direction, also used on non-sexual friends (often but not always Heterosexual Life-Partners) by the resident Deadpan Snarker. Mood Dissonance, both to "get back to the comedy already!" in the first two versions and to keep viewers from becoming more titillated than they should be for the time slot.
— J.D., Scrubs
open/close all folders
- A Halloween commercial for K-Mart (started airing in 2009) shows a costume party. A couple dressed as vampires make romantic comments to each other. Another partygoer dressed as a pirate yells "Arr! Get a tomb!" Although, he might have a point. There are children at this party.
- Plastic Man says this to Wonder Woman and Superman while they are Slap Slap Kissing in Frank Miller's All Star Batman.
- Clearly, Wonder Woman just attracts this trope in general. It happens with Batman as well, except it's a villain Batman caught who has the nerve to point this out.◊
- Superman also gets this with Lois, after a "Shut Up" Kiss from the latter in Superman v2 #178.
- In Galaxy Quest, Guy says this to Laliari and Fred Kwan who start making out in the transporter room. They pay no attention. It quickly turns Squick for Guy.
- In Iron Man 2, Rhodey tells Tony and Pepper (currently making out on the top of a building, or the open top floor of a damaged building) to "get a roof". When Tony complains that it's funny he's saying that, the buddy in question responds that "I was here first!"
- In The Mummy Returns, Alex says this to Rick and Evy.
- In (500) Days of Summer Tom in an alcohol/depression fueled depression yells this to a couple holding hands on the street.
- Said as "get a shroom" by Grouchy when he sees the Winslows getting so close with each other in The Smurfs 2.
- In Disney's Brother Bear, Tug jokingly yells "Get a cave!" to a pair of lovebird bears. This makes sense since these are all Ice Age bears hanging out together (which they don't do in real life).
Live Action TV
- In Smallville, Rush, Pete says this to Chloe and Clark when they are making out at the back seat of his car.
- Said by Birkhoff to Michael and Nikita when Michael asks Nikita if she is alright whilst being in the CIA HQ, to which she replies "Oh, babe, I will be as soon as you get me out of here."
- A common phrase on The Suite Life of Zack and Cody (and its sequel series). That it is inappropriate for Disney Channel, especially when the main characters were still
eleventwelve or so, was occasionally lampshaded.
- Used repeatedly on Friends.
Phoebe: Jeez guys, get a roomMonica: But Phoebe, we have a room.Phoebe: I know. Use it.
- There is a scene where the dialogue between Ross and his sister Monica is so loving that Phoebe teases by suggesting to them go to a hotel room.
- On Grounded For Life, was once followed by a phrase along the lines of "No! No, don't get a room!" when used by the parent of one of the Make-Out Kids in question.
- Lorne told this to Angel and Eve during a Halloween party. Unfortunately, at the time, people obeyed everything he said so...
- He also tells Wes and Fred, when they're in the sweet-new-couple phase, to "get a balcony."
- JD said this to a particularly aggressive couple on Scrubs.
Turk: This is a hospital. People around here are already sick.
- Turk said a variant on this to JD and Elliot in "My Bed Banter & Beyond":
- White Collar:
Mozzie: "Get a room!"Sarah: "We are in a room."Neal: "My room."Mozzie: Beat... "That hurts."
- Stargate SG-1
Samantha Carter (to Adria and Ba'al): "Why don't the two of you just get a room?" This was after the two had been arguing for quite some time.
- When Whose Line Is It Anyway? alumnus Jeff B. Davis was filling in as announcer on The Price Is Right, he ad-libbed one when a contestant was getting rather close to host Drew Carey.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- The Scoobies are checking out an apartment Xander is thinking of buying. When Xander opens a door and finds Buffy making out with Riley, he tells them to go find a bedroom. The couple look around pointedly — they're in one.
- Lampshaded in "Once More With Feeling" when Xander notes the get-a-roominess of Willow and Tara, who supposedly rushed off to get a book for Giles.
- Averted when Willow and Tara get back together after their break-up. Dawn is so happy that her two mommies have gotten back together that she eagerly clears out of the house to give them some boinking privacy.
- 30 Rock: Mike D. and Ad-Rock shout this phrase at Jack Donaghy and his sick father, Milton, when they catch them hugging.
- One of the earliest occurrences of this joke happens in, of all shows, The Andy Griffith Show. In the 1963 episode "Up in Barney's Room," after Barney has been evicted from his boarding house, Andy catches Barney and Thelma Lou making out in the courthouse after hours. On his way out the door, Andy tells Barney, "You need to get yourself a room!"
- On The Drew Carey Show Drew kisses his girlfriend where his neighbours can see:
Neighbour: Get a room!Drew: Get a girl!
- Shadowrun: Mika and Ma'fan are both physical adepts and professional thieves who are each other's primary competition. They have dynamically opposed philosophies and methods and are pretty much the embodiment of Belligerent Sexual Tension. Eventually during the Way of the Adept supplement, their bickering gets on Fastjack's nerves and he tells them to put a stop to it;
Fastjack: Take it to private messages or just fuck each other and get it over with. I don't care which.
- The Most Happy Fella has a non-verbal instance of this. A couple of unnamed minor characters are given a push when they start getting too amorous with each other. They then run off to the hayloft they had told each other about earlier.
- In Disgaea 3, Marona says this to Almaz and Sapphire.
- Final Fantasy X-2 - Wakka tells Tidus and Yuna to do this in the Good Ending sequence when they share a passionate hug after Tidus is resurrected by the fayth.
Tidus: Who asked you to watch, Wakka?
- Knights of the Old Republic: Mission shouts this at Carth and the Light-Side Female Player Character.
- Mission: Hey! Sheesh...get a room, will ya?Zaalbar: That two spirits have found each other amidst such turmoil is a good omen, Mission. Does it not please you to see?Mission: Oh, sure. Even a good omen can get itself a room, though, don't ya think?''
- In Dragon Age II: Mark of the Assassin, Aveline will have this reaction to Hawke kissing Tallis. Alternatively, Fenris will say this when Hawke and a romanced Anders start flirting during the escape sequence.
- If Tali was romanced in Mass Effect 2, she and male Shepard will start flirting in the third game under... questionable circumstances. Most squadmates will express mild discomfort; Garrus will yell at them to get it over with already.
"I was there when you two had your thing, remember? Just...get a room and work it out."
Garrus: Shepard, sweetie...love of my life, indulge your crazy boyfriend. I need to know you're safe.Shepard: If it'll make you feel better, honey.Zaeed: (listening in) Oh, go get a room. God knows this place has enough of them.
- In the Citadel DLC, if Garrus and female Shepard are in a committed relationship, they can start acting like Sickeningly Sweethearts. Zaeed Massani will suggest they get a room already.
- In the supports between Nah and Morgan in Fire Emblem Awakening it is revealed that Naga following Manaketes(possibly Divine Dragons?) can speak with their leader Naga mentally. After their confession of love, the two share this dialogue:
- In Taketo's sequel in Class Trip Crush, Taketo and the protagonist are repeatedly told to either tone it down or get a room thanks to Taketo's complete lack of shyness where it comes to showering affection on the protagonist in public.
- In the Star Trek Online Foundry mission "Relics", the Player Character and the ship's counselor Dr. Shree had an Aliens Made Them Do It situation happen to them in a Noodle Incident. Your chief medical officer catches the two of you flirtingnote and has this to say:
"My patient isn't standing by for nobody. Quit with your hanky-panky. The whole crew knows about you two. Get a room."
- In Borderlands 2, just before the assault on Control Core Angel, Lilith tells Roland that he had better not die on her and that if he makes it back alive, she's tearing his clothes off of him.
Mordecai: Ugh, Lilith! No one wants to hear that!Brick: Go on...
- In one of the first post-Time Skip strips of Questionable Content, Dora says this about Penelope and her boyfriend Wil, who has just come back home after leaving to Walk the Earth for a few months, while the two are making out at Coffee Of Doom.
Dora: "Won't you two just go home and fuck already? You're distracting the customers."Faye: "And making me nauseous."Penelope: "Aw, gimme ten more minutes, I want to be paid for the whole hour."Wil: "Darling, ten more minutes of this and all the blood will be drained from my head."
- Girl Genius: Subverted. When Theo starts Sparking, Slepinir is eager to help. Everyone else gives them the room.
- In El Goonish Shive Sarah mentions this phrase as what part of her wants to do when she discusses her feelings for Elliot with Grace while they are all gender swapped. Grace assures her using it as an Unusual Euphemism.
- In the Futurama episode "A Head In The Polls," Bender shouts this at a couple through a window as they scale the side of the Watergate hotel. The man shouts back, "We're in a room!" Bender shouts back, "Then lose some weight!"
- After an episode in which Bart Simpson goes from embarrassed by his grandfather to having just rescued Nazi treasure and himself from the depths and from Mr Burns, Bart gives his grandfather an unembarrassed hug. Then a pampered German aristocrat drives by and shouts "Hey, fun boys, get a room!"
Nelson: Get a room, you two!Lisa: We're brother and sister!Milhouse: So are my parents, I think.
- In a 22nd season episode, during a fight between Bart and Lisa this little conversation goes down.
- In King of the Hill, an old man yells this to Hank and Peggy when they try to hold hands.
- In the Ben 10: Ultimate Alien episode "Perplexahedron", Gwen and Kevin kiss after the group are reunited inside the titular location, a giant collection of trap-laden rooms.
Swampfire: Why don't you just get a room? This place is full of 'em!
- In an episode of The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Mandy tells Grim to "get a room" after he smothers his scythe—which he earlier lost—with kisses.
- Adventure Time, "Dream of Love": Finn convinces Mr. Pig to tell Tree Trunks that he loves her; the feeling is mutual. This backfires on Finn when Tree Trunks and Pig keep making out in public causing lots of anxiety and nausea for everyone else. Instead of telling them to get a room, Finn tells them to make out at home, but Tree Trunks insists that it would be indecent for them to live together unmarried and they're not ready to tie the knot.
- At the end of the South Park episode "Super Best Friends", Stan and Kyle tell each other that they're each other's "super best friend", to which Cartman teases, "Aw, do you two need a room?" They then proceed to beat Cartman up.
- In The Legend of Korra episode "In Harm's Way", when Zaheer and P'Li reunite, they almost immediately start kissing. Ghazan, who's driving a snowmobile to get them out of there, just mutters "Really? Right now?"