6 Gun Mage
is a fantasy western
staring Kylie, a gunmage
who has to keep her powers secret because she's on the run from the circle
and gets a job as a hired gun.
Six Gun Mage contains examples of:
- Achievements in Ignorance: Geofry didn't know that gunmages can't use repeaters without killing themselves due to Cast from Hit Points, so he created a repeater that somehow doesn't have that limitation.
- It's possible that's got more to do with Kylie than the repeater itself, though. Perhaps she is more than "just" a gunmage?
- Action Girl: Kylie, Nessa, Wyst, probably all the girls in the Penny Gun.
- Aerith and Bob: Names like Kylie, Gwyneth, Wyst, and Zeits.
- Alien Sky: There are at least two moons.
- Bare Your Midriff: Kylie, ever so much. Even her military uniform.
- The Blacksmith: Geofry.
- Cast From Hitpoints: How gunmage powers work, allegedly.
- Child Soldiers: Orphans who show potential to be gunmages are recruited young to begin their training.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Repeaters for gunmages, as they Cast From Hitpoints, and using up too much mana too quickly will leave them dead. Or at least that was the theory...
- Defeat by Modesty: Attempted by Zeits on Kylie. It doesn't work.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The main character is a mage. Who uses a six-gun.
- Expressive Ears: Gwyneth's elven heritage has given her ears that twitch at the sign of profit.
- Fantasy Gun Control: Ever so thoroughly averted.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Geofry invents a repeater gunmages can use (or at least a repeater Kylie can use).
- The Gunslinger: Zeits, Kylie, probably most the rest of the cast.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Gwyneth has elven blood.
- Homing Projectile: One of Kylie's powers.
- Hot Springs Episode: Gwyneth has a hot spring in her basement.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: In Kylie's case it's justified as, well, magic; Zeits, however, is just "absolutely fucking fantastic!"
- Magi Babble: explains why gunmages can't use repeaters, until Geofry invents one they can use.
- The Magocracy: The exact role of the Circle in the government hasn't been revealed yet, but at the very least they're obviously very powerful.
- Mugging the Monster: Three train robbers might have gotten away with it, too, if when she told them she didn't have any money one of them hadn't suggested that they bend her over the seat and--.
- Pointy Ears: Gwyneth, on account of some amount of elven ancestry.
- Posthumous Character: Geofry
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Kylie delivers one to a pair of train-robbers-turned-kidnappers.
That's a bad bluff. You kill the hostage, and you lose your cover. Then I can shoot you both no problem. You should be pointing that gun at me, I'm the threat. Besides, what if I'm a really good shot? Maybe I can hit you behind the kid. Maybe I'm fast enough to do it twice before you get off a shot. Maybe I'm even a jerk who doesn't care about the hostage. Maybe I'm a gambler. Simple fact is, you shouldn't be betting on a wildcard. Or just maybe...
- Retired Badass: Colonel Renault would appear to be one.
- Schizo Tech: Assault rifles and modern semi-automatic pistols are quite common, but steam power is used for transportation. Of course, steam engines are kind of required for the whole Steam Punk thing.
- Screw You, Elves!: They're extinct.
- Slasher Smile: Max Zeits aka Dulahan Cas gets a terrifying one here
- Steam Punk; Of The Western variety.
- Stuff Blowing Up: One of Kylie's gun-related powers.
- Teen Genius: Doctor Jasper Calloway, the Client Of The Week on Chapter Three, invented a new, more efficient steam engine called the Florange.
- Unreliable Narrator: Geofry knows that the circle's explanation that gunmages can't use revolvers because draining their mana too fast will kill them is wrong because he already tried it with his new revolver. On the other hand, when he started to tell them that he already tested it, they seem to genuinely expect to hear that Kylie died, so maybe they just didn't know. Then again, they did have him killed to keep the secret - although the secret is possibly something else, probably related to Kylie.
- The Un-Smile: Wyst fails at smiling.
- Weird West: The title of the comic is "Six Gun Mage"—what do you think?