Roll, roll, roll in ze hay!!
A popular trope in many stories set on a farm. A young couple decides to make love while lying in a hay barrack in a barn or one in an open field. One of them (or both) can be the teenage son or daughter of a farmer
, but it might also be a general couple who just happen to encounter a hay barrack while being on the countryside.
Usually they are fleeing from the wrath of the girl's Over Protective Dad
, but rain, police, soldiers or nightfall can be opportune reasons as well. For some strange reason their pursuer will be unable to find them, even though a bunch of hay might be the most logical hiding place ever! As he leaves, the couple makes love to celebrate the fact that he couldn't find them.
This is especially a popular trope in erotic fiction, almost to the point of being a cliché
Also Truth in Television
, as many young people who grew up on the countryside will tell you. Of all the possible locations for surreptitious love making and/or hiding a hay barrack is the most obvious choice. It's soft, comfy and ticklish.
open/close all folders
- In Hieronymus Bosch's painting "The Hay Wain", a couple can be seen on top of the hay wain. The man is playing his instrument to seduce the woman.
- In Teen Titans Annual #1, Wonder Girl and Superboy consumate their love in the hay loft of the Kents barn before Superboy flies off to confront Superboy-Prime.
- In Desire Under The Elms, Sophia Loren and Anthony Perkins share a scene in this kind of setting.
- In The Outlaw (1943) actress Jane Russell also takes an erotic pose in a hay loft.
- In Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines, a French pilot has to make an emergency landing in a hay barrack in France. While a farmer is going to get help, which will cost him 30 minutes to get to the nearest farm, the pilot takes the Farmer's Daughter with him in the hay barrack.
- In Young Frankenstein, Eye-gor transports professor Fronkensteen to the castle by haywain. Inga is lying in the hay and invites Fronkenstein to "roll in ze hay" with her. She's speaking quite literally: "Roll, roll, roll in ze hay!"
- A group of soldiers in Soldier Of Orange catches a couple having sex in a hay barrack.
- This is where Bond coerces Pussy Galore to have sex with him in Goldfinger.
- On Her Majesty's Secret Service: Bond and Tracy share some warmth in a barn in a brief hiatus during their escape from Blofeld's goons, and this is where Bond proposes to her.
- A lot of Dutch and Flemish farmer novels have this kind of scene in them.
- In Staphorst Groeit Het Geluk (1959) by J. Van Dorsten has a farmer couple falling in each other's arms on a hay barrack.
- Happens in DH Lawrence's Love Between the Haystacks.
- Sparhawk's squire, Kurik, in The Elenium, hints that his eldest was conceived that way. A bit later, while they visit his family farm, he and his wife come back from an off screen rendezvous with Kurik muttering that the boys need to be better at getting the thistles out of the hay.
- Lauchlan and Corbin of Mix Beer With Liquor And You Will Get Sicker play this one straight, though they at least have the benefit of a couple of horse blankets.
- Happened a lot in the Dutch TV series Bartje on BNN with Bart De Graaff, where the little farmer boy was always trying to get in the hay with the beautiful farmer's daughter from the nearby village.
- A Genre Savvy reference occurs in the Flemish TV series Buiten De Zone episode "Kitsch en Kunst", where the clichés of every typical Flemish farmer film are ridiculed.
- Duncan has a scene of this in the Highlander episode 'Epitaph for Tommy'.
- Dad's Army. In one episode Captain Mainwaring gets hooked on a barrage balloon and is carried across country, at one point smashing through a hay bale and startling a pair of young lovers.
- In True Blood, a Flash Back to Eric's mortal life in medieval Sweden showed him getting it on with some village girl in a stable, showing that even back then he was a total manwhore.
- Johnny Bravo once asked a girl to "roll in the hay" with him, to which she slapped him.
- The Simpsons: Homer and Marge make love in a barn full of hay in the episode "Natural Born Kissers".