- A Day in the Limelight: For Lorne
- Bad Boss: Angel to the rest of Wolfram & Hart, who are worried that Angel is going to axe them. Literally.Angel: OK, look, hey, I haven't...OK, look, I may have...killed a couple of them.
- Bait-and-Switch Comment: A drunken Fred apparently going to say she's attracted to Wesley, when she actually confesses to him about liking Knox.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Lorne notes the Snark-to-Snark Combat between Eve and Angel and tells them to Get a Room!. Cut to the two of them bursting into Angel's office, snogging passionately.
- Boom, Headshot: Fred shooting Lorne at pointblank range in the forehead with the emotion gun.
- Brick Joke: After things have returned to normal...Gunn: Don't sit in [your chair]. I already called Janitorial.
Angel: Why can't I?
Spike: You pissed in the big man's chair? That's fantastic!
Gunn: Spike, can you please turn off that warm fuzzy?
Spike: What, the Lorne thing? Wore off. I just think that's bloody fabulous.
- The Can Kicked Him / Gory Discretion Shot: Artode gets splattered by Hulk!Lorne while doing his business.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Fred and Wesley, until they realise they haven't actually imbibed enough for them to get drunk.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Archduke Sebassis becomes important at the end of the season as a member of the Circle of the Black Thorn.
- The Comically Serious: Lorne is annoyed to find Angel hiding in his office instead of helping the party flow.Angel: I'm brooding.
Lorne: You're watching hockey!
Angel: Yeah, but my team is losing.
- Comforting Comforter: At end of the episode, Angel spreads a coat over Lorne who's sleeping on his couch.
- Covered in Gunge: Our hero makes his entrance covered in green blood from a Thraxis demon. Which kinda burns. Which naturally leads to a gratuitous Shower Scene.
- Curse Cut Short: Team Angel catching their boss sleeping with the enemy.Gunn: Angel, what are you doing with that—Eve: Hey, watch it pal!
- Demons Made Them Do It
- Distracted By The Sex: Angel barks out orders to his team to resolve the situation.Angel: And, Eve, you stay here with me, and we'll have more sex.Eve: I'm on it.
- Dramatic Shattering / Big "SHUT UP!": Lorne tries to shut up his mirror self by breaking the mirror. It doesn't work.
- Dynamic Entry: Archduke Sebassis and his mooks bursting into Angel's office.Spike: What a fantastic entrance!
- Enemy Without: Hulk!Lorne is his repressed subconscious.
- Fan Nickname: The Archduke's slave has been nicknamed "Pee-Pee" by fans after his first line of dialogue.
- Feet-First Introduction: Lorne and his beleaguered assistant at the start of the episode.
- Foreshadowing: Mention is made of the Fell Brethren, who become important in "Time Bomb".
- Funny Background Event: At one point Gunn can be seen in the background, unzipping his pants, only for Wes to run over to him, shaking a finger.
- Genuine Human Hide: A demon disguises himself as a "Human Bean" for the party by dressing in human clothes and putting on a human "mask". And when the guests of honor arrive...Lorne: Artode, welcome. Welcome. Love the jacket, by the way.Artode: It's Pylean.Lorne: Oh, made in Pylea. Ha. My home dimension.Artode: Not made in — made from. I skinned it myself. Anybody you know?
- Get Out: Angel to Spike. He agrees, just this once.
- Halloween Episode
- Hand or Object Underwear: Angel uses a couch cushion to cover his privates after his Interrupted Intimacy.
- Hypothetical Casting / Death Is a Slap on the Wrist: Lorne is on the phone, discussing a movie deal."I'm pretty sure Henry Fonda's dead, honey..."Bring him back to life"?!"
- Hypocritical Humor: Angel denies that he bottles up his emotions, then punches a supposed demon the moment the elevator doors open. It's actually one of his employees carrying a huge demon head for the party. No wonder workplace morale sucks.
- It Doesn't Mean Anything: Angel tries to talk to Eve about what happened last night.Eve: Angel, it's not like this is the first time I've had sex under a mystical influence. I went to U.C. Santa Cruz.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: After the events of the episode, Fred decides she needs to have a drink for real. With Knox.
- Interrupted Intimacy: Team Angel burst into Angel's office and catch their boss doing it with Eve behind the sofa.
- Kneel Before Zod: All the Professional Butt Kissers do this the moment the Archduke enters the room.Sebassis: Yes. Fine. Sycophants, worms. Don't writhe all at once. It's sickening.
- The Man in the Mirror Talks Back: Lorne's mirror reflection starts talking to him. From his reaction this isn't new.
- Mind over Matter: Sebassis has some minor telekinetic abilities. Either that or his hidden weapons caché has some kind of motion detector that activates with his hand motion.
- Monster Lord: According to Lorne, Archduke Sebassis is a member of "bona fide royalty" down below. He certainly acts like a pompous aristocrat.
- Musicalis Interruptus: Lorne in The Teaser entering his office, where he immediately drops his joyful persona.
- Mr. Exposition: Wesley recaps what happened for the audience at the end.
- The NicknamerLorne: Harmonica!Harmony: Lorney Tunes!
- Not Himself: First Lorne is acting stressed out, then everyone in Team Angel starts acting strange.
- Only One Name: Angel starts making out with Eve, despite Angel's protests that he doesn't even know her full name.Angel: I mean, do you even have a last name?Eve: Do you?
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Wesley, Fred, and Gunn realize they're all behaving odd and start to wonder if some sort of enchantment is behind their actions. Then they see Spike acting all happy and chipper, which outright confirms it for them.
- Post-Modern Magik: Fred's magical hand grenade, which apparently didn't work on the Thraxis demon. Wes and Knox get into an argument over whether the technical or magical components failed.
- Power at a Price: Lorne getting his sleep removed — rather than just reading destinies he starts affecting them. And his subconscious self goes on a rampage.
- Punched Across the Room: Hulk!Lorne to Angel.
- Recycled In Space / The Triple: Lorne making a movie deal."It'll be fabulous. Believe me, Jerry. Yes. It's Grapes of Wrath in outer space. Uh-huh. Oh, it's got heart. Yes, it's got laser battles. It's got a timely message of interstellar poverty."
- For a bonus reference, he's clearly pitching Whedon's recently-canceled show Firefly.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: The Archduke's slave breaks his chain and runs off at the sight of Hulk!Lorne.
- Sexy Shirt Switch: After she and Angel "Get a Room!", Eve is wearing his shirt.
- Ship Tease: Angel/Eve, Fred/Knox.
- The Sleepless: Lorne thanks to a Wolfram & Hart operation.
- Snark-to-Snark CombatSebassis: So... this is the mighty Angel. I've been told many things about you. Bit of a restless frog, hmm? Making lots of waves in your little swamp.Angel: Yeah, well, I'm just trying to keep the fly population down.Sebassis: Yes. Though I do prefer the tales of your counterpart Angelus. Ah, you had flair back then, child.Angel: Well, I guess we all mellow in our old age.Sebassis: Your contempt is fragrant.
- Squick: Archduke Sebassis drinking the blood of his slave.
- Trap Is the Only Option: Lorne can't get any Wolfram & Hart clients to turn up to the Halloween party because everyone thinks Angel intends to slaughter them. Archduke Sebassis eventually turns up for exactly that reason, thinking it will make things interesting.
- Uncomfortable Elevator Moment: Fred and Wes waiting for the elevator in silence, until they belatedly realise they haven't pushed the button yet.
- Unwanted Assistance: Knox revealing what happened at the last W&H Halloween party while Lorne's trying to convince Fred to attend.Knox: They took a bunch of cows and put them in a giant wicker effigy of Krishna, uh, doused it with sambuca, and it— (Lorne shakes him off) Uh, well... anyway, it's a hell of a good time.
- Urine Trouble: Lorne advises Gunn to "mark out his territory". He starts pissing all over the place.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Angel steps out of the shower to talk to Eve, who doesn't appear bothered by this in the least.
- Wall of Weapons: Sebassis has one behind the usual sliding door.
- Wasn't That Fun?: In the end the W&H employees and the Archduke Sebassis decide they quite enjoyed the mayhem.
- You Have GOT To Be Kidding Me: Spike's reaction to Harmony offering to dance with him.
- You Need to Get Laid: Eve implies this re Angel. She ends up taking care of the problem herself.
- You Taste Delicious: Lorne to Pee-Pee, after he's obliged to swill down some of Sebassis' favorite beverage.
- Your Door Was Open: Eve gives this excuse for walking in on a showering Angel. She changes that to "your door was unlocked". Then she admits she has a key. Which Angel wordlessly takes off her.
Recap / Angel S 05 E 05 Life Of The Party
Lorne tries to organise the Wolfram & Hart Halloween party despite a distinct lack of enthusiasm from everyone else.