Recap: Buffy the Vampire Slayer S4 E9 "Something Blue"
Buffy: Spike and I are getting married!Willow casts a spell to heal her broken heart, with disastrous (and funny) results.
Xander: How?! What?! How?!
Giles: Three excellent questions.
Xander: How?! What?! How?!
Giles: Three excellent questions.
Tropes in this episode:
- Air-Vent Passageway: Homaged by Spike when he says he got out of the Elaborate Underground Base that way.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Lampshaded by Buffy, who worries that a relationship with a decent guy would lack the intensity.Buffy: I know... I have to get away from that bad boy thing. There's no good there. But I can't help thinking—isn't that where the fire comes from? Can a nice, safe relationship be that intense? I know it's nuts, but... part of me believes that real love and passion have to go hand in hand with pain and fighting. [A vampire leaps out at her; Buffy stakes him without pause] I wonder where I get that from.
- Amusing Injuries: Thanks to Giles's progressive blindness.Giles: We've got to find her before someone really gets hurt. [trips and falls on his face]
- Apology Gift: Willow makes cookies. And she has to detail Giles' car.
- Auto EroticaBuffy: Cars and Buffy are, like... un-mixy things.Riley: It's just because you haven't had a good experience yet. You can have the best time in a car. It's not about getting somewhere. You have to take your time. Forget about everything. Just... relax. Let it wash over you. The air... motion... Just, let it roll.Riley: I thought I was.
- Bait and Switch: D'Hoffryn looks like he's going to be angry over Willow's refusal to become a vengeance demon, but he just leaves his 'card' instead.
- Batter Up: Anya's first use of a baseball bat, but not the last.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: A spell to make your will reality; no way that can go wrong...
- Big Damn Kiss: After Buffy accepts Spike's marriage proposal they kiss with the rising music and the rising... music.
- Brain Bleach: Xander witnessing Spuffy smoochies. "Can I be blind too?"
- Buffy Speak: Willow uses "sparkage", "unbendy" and "grievey".
- Cake ToppersSpike: I don't like him. He's insipid. Clearly human.
Buffy: Ah ha! We can smear a little red paint on the lips. The blood of the innocent...
Spike: That's my girl!
- Chekhov's Boomerang: Willow uses D'Hoffryn's talisman three years later in "Selfless".
- Comically Missing the PointBuffy: A spell! And you both were affected. I probably only escaped because I'm the Slayer. Some kind of natural immunity.Xander: Yeah, right. You're marrying Spike because you're so right for each other.
- Continuity Nod: Buffy mentions "seeing Angel for five minutes"—a reference to how time was rolled back to make her forget the 24 hours she spent with him in "I Will Remember You".
- Cradle of Loneliness: Willow smells one of Oz's shirts then clasps it to her chest. Later when she goes back to his apartment she's devastated to find the place cleared out, as Oz has sent for his stuff.
- Cut His Heart Out with a SpoonBound!Spike: I get this spell reversed, they'll be finding your body for weeks.Buffy: Giles! I accidentally killed Spike! That's OK, right?
- Deadpan Snarker: Spike
- Distracted by the Sexy: Spike and Buffy start pashing in the crypt, ignoring how Anya is trying to stop a demon from strangling Xander.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Xander and Buffy are surprised how lighthearted Willow is over Oz's departure, until a beer bottle falls out of her jacket.Willow: Drunk... I mean, that's such a-a strong word. Kind of a guttural Anglo-Saxon word. Drunk.
Xander: Will, not loving the drowning of the sorrows.
Willow: Not drowning—wading!
- Eureka Moment: Xander realizing that Willow is behind it all.Xander: Wait... married... I know something... what is it...? Everything's so familiar... Work, brain—work! Oh! Oh oh! Willow!
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Buffy has the same crinkly hairstyle that she has in other episodes where she's Not Herself.
- Foe Romance Subtext: Lampshaded re: Spuffy.Buffy: I think maybe we fought because we couldn't admit how we really felt about each other.
- Foreshadowing: Buffy and Spike enter into an unexpected romantic relationship; all the other Scoobies are freaked out.
- Funny Background Event: Willow changes Rat!Amy into a Naked on Arrival human, then back into a rat without even realizing it.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Buffy to Spike moments before they fall in love.Buffy: Oh make a move, please. I'm dying for a good (s)lay.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Spike doesn't like Buffy mentioning the Angel word.Spike: Well, where would Angel like to register? And can we have the photographer Angel would've wanted? And, flowers Angel would have liked?
Buffy: Hey! You think I don't live with the shadow of Drusilla over my head? That I'm not wondering if you're going to be thinking of her on our honeymoon when you're making... [goes all misty-eyed] sweet love to me?
- Holding Hands: Xander and Anya are rather puzzled as to why Buffy/Spike are doing this.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Giles' reaction to Spuffy smoochies (and the idea that they're now 'family').Giles: It's all right. I have more Scotch.
- Ineffectual Death Threat:
- "Giles, help! He's going to scold me!"
- "You'll do what—lick me to death?"
- In Love with Your Carnage: D'Hoffryn is impressed by the chaos Willow caused, and tries to recruit her as a vengeance demon.
- It Was There I Swear: Buffy discovers Spike searching the lawns near the college, claiming this was where he escaped from the Initiative, but there's no sign of any exit. He starts tearing at the grass, shouting threats and demands to be put back the way he was. Buffy naturally assumes Spike is just stalling and hauls him away.
- "Just Joking" Justification: Buffy brushes off her engagement with Spike as a practical joke on Riley.Buffy: I saw that fear in your eyes when you caught me looking at wedding dresses, and I had to give you a hard time.Riley: I did not have fear in my eyes.Buffy: Yes you did. You were looking at me like I was a cartoon ball and chain.
- Kissing Under the Influence
- Kubrick Stare: Spike to Buffy while drinking blood from her mug.
- Lame ComebackSpike: You're not gonna do anything to me. You don't got the stones.Buffy: Oh, I got the stones. I got a whole bunch of... stones!
- Magic Misfire: Because of her spell, every unheeding, angry comment Willow makes throughout this episode sparks one of these. The original spell could be branded a misfire itself, since it didn't do what she'd hoped (get rid of her pain over Oz's loss) and worked in a way she hadn't wanted or expected.
- Make-Out Kids: Lovestruck Spike and Buffy can't keep their lips off each other.Giles: Stop that right now! I can hear the smacking.
- Moment Killer: Sadface!Willow turning up at Buffy and Riley's picnic.
- Mood Whiplash:
- When Buffy and Spike wake up from the spell and realise they're smooching.Buffy: Spike lips! Lips of Spike!
- Also when Spike and Buffy first come under the spell. Moments before they're exchanging mutual death threats.
- D'Hoffryn looks like he's going to be angry when Willow rejects his offer to become a vengeance demon... then casually offers her his talisman in case she changes her mind.
- When Buffy and Spike wake up from the spell and realise they're smooching.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: The Serparvo Demon has prominent, pointy teeth, and they look bigger because it has no teeth.
- My CardD'Hoffryn: Here is my talisman. You change your mind, give us a chant.
- Oblivious Guilt Slinging: Riley tells Buffy he likes her because she's a mystery.
- Old, New, Borrowed and Blue: Referenced by the title, though the tradition doesn't come up in the wedding plans.
- Parental Substitute: Giles is (momentarily) moved when Buffy asks him to Give Away the Bride.
- Puppy-Dog Pout: Buffy sulking.Spike: Oh, pouty! Look at that lip... gonna get it... gonna get it... [starts nibbling on her lip]
- Pun: Drunk Willow riffs on the poem "Not Waving but Drowning" by Stevie Smith.
- Ragtag Band of Misfits: The Scoobies naturally; lampshaded by Spike.Spike: This is the crack team that foils my every plan? I am deeply shamed.
- Respawning Enemies: Get attracted towards Xander after Willow points out that he never seems to date normal girls, i.e., he's a demon magnet.
- Rock BottomSpike: I'm chained in a bathtub, drinking pig's blood from a novelty mug!
- And Giles won't let him watch Passions.
- Running Gag: More jokes about Spike's somewhat limp 'performance issues'.Giles: Spike, we have no intention of killing a harmless... uh, creature, but we have to know what's been done to you. We can't let you go until we're sure that you're, you're... impotent or—Spike: Hey!Giles: Sorry, poor choice of words. Until we're know that you're, you're...Buffy: Flaccid?Spike: [Berserker Rage]
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: Spike and Buffy spend a lot of time acting like cutesy, lovestruck teenagers under the influence of Willow's spell, much to the annoyance of the other Scoobies.
- Silly Love Songs: Spike embarrasses Buffy by telling the Scoobies she wanted "Wind Beneath My Wings" played at her wedding.Buffy: That was the spell...
- Smash CutBuffy: I'd be really happy to be in a nice relationship with a decent, reliable oh my God Riley thinks I'm engaged!
Buffy: Riley. He-he-he saw me. What the hell am I going to say?!
[Cut to UC Sunnydale campus. Buffy and Riley are walking together; Buffy is laughing.]Buffy: You thought I was serious?
- Squick: Buffy's In-Universe reaction to feeding Spike blood through a straw.Spike: Oh don't act so dainty, you must have done the same for Angel.
- Suspect Is HatlessBuffy: So you saw their faces but you can't describe them?Spike: Well, they were human. Two eyes each, kind of in the middle.
- The Tease / Do Not Taunt CthulhuBuffy: Oh, look at my poor neck. All bare and tender and exposed. All that blood just pum-ping away.Spike: Giles, make her stop!
- Tempting Fate: After all the shenanigans finish, Buffy says she's totally over the bad boy thing.
- Timmy in a Well: Why Spike wants to watch Passions.
- The Triple: Riley invites Buffy for a picnic. "I thought maybe we could have a little spread, sandwiches, maybe some ants..."
- Too Much Information: Buffy has just told Riley she's marrying Spike.Riley: Who is this guy? Does he go here [to college]?Buffy: Spike? Oh no, he's totally old. Not as old as my last boyfriend though.Riley: OK, it's late... so I'm just going to go far away...
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?:
- Buffy and Spike squabble over the names on the marriage invitations. Buffy isn't too keen on "Spike" or "William the Bloody," while Spike can't help but point out that "Buffy" isn't a name encountered very often.
- Also, when Buffy tells Riley the groom's name is "Spike," Riley responds, "That's a name?"
- Why Don't You Marry It?: A distraught Willow, looking for a shoulder to cry on, is angry when Buffy has to leave her to go chase Spike. She makes the inevitable comment and Hilarity Ensues.
- With This Ring: Spike gives Buffy his gothic punk ring, since it's the only one he has on hand. Interestingly, she doesn't give it back when the spell is broken.Buffy: Giles, did you see my ring?Giles: Thankfully, not very well.
- Women Prefer Strong Men: Buffy likes Riley's arms. "Those are good arms to have."
- You're Insane!: Riley's reaction to Buffy playing off her earlier spell-induced antics as a joke.Riley: You're insane.Buffy: Uh huh.[beat]Riley: But you're still single.