Recap: Buffy The Vampire Slayer S 4 E 9 Something Blue
Buffy: "Spike and I are getting married!
Xander: "How?! What?! How?!"
Giles: "Three excellent questions."
Willow casts a spell to heal her broken heart, with disastrous (and funny) results.
- Air-Vent Passageway: Homaged by Spike when he says he got out of the Elaborate Underground Base that way.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Lampshaded by Buffy, who worries that a relationship with a decent guy would lack the intensity.
- Amusing Injuries
Giles: We've got to find her before someone really gets hurt. (trips and falls on his face)
- Bait and Switch: D'Hoffryn looks like he's going to be angry over Willow's refusal to become a vengeance demon, but he just leaves his 'card' instead.
- Batter Up: Anya's first use of a baseball bat, but not the last.
- Be Careful What You Wish For
- Big Damn Kiss: After Buffy accepts Spike's marriage proposal they kiss with the rising music and the rising...music.
- Brain Bleach: Xander witnessing Spuffy smoochies. "Can I be blind too?"
- Buffy Speak: Willow uses "sparkage", "unbendy" and "grievey".
- Cake Toppers
Spike: I don't like him. He's insipid. Clearly human.
Buffy: Ah ha! We can smear a little red paint on the lips. The blood of the innocent...
Spike: That's my girl!
- Chekhov's Gun: Willow uses D'Hoffryn's talisman three years later in "Selfless".
- Completely Missing the Point
Buffy: A spell! And you both were affected. I probably only escaped because I'm the Slayer. Some kind of natural immunity.
Xander: Yeah, right. You're marrying Spike because you're so right for each other.
- Continuity Nod: Buffy mentions "seeing Angel for five minutes" — a reference to how time was rolled back to make her forget the 24 hours she spent with him in "I Will Remember You".
- Cradle of Loneliness: Willow smells then clasps one of Oz's shirts to her chest. Later when she goes back to his apartment she's devastated to find the place cleared out as Oz has sent for his stuff.
- Cut His Heart Out with a Spoon
Bound!Spike: I get this spell reversed, they'll be finding your body for weeks.
Buffy: Giles! I accidentally killed Spike! That's OK, right?
- Deadpan Snarker: Spike
- Drowning My Sorrows: Xander and Buffy are surprised how light-hearted Willow is over Oz's departure, until a beer bottle falls out of her jacket.
Willow: Drunk.. I mean, that's such a-a strong word. Kind of a guttural Anglo-Saxon word. Drunk.
Xander: Will, not loving the drowning of the sorrows.
Willow: Not drowning — wading!
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu
Buffy: Oh, look at my poor neck. All bare and tender and exposed. All that blood just pum-ping away.
Spike: Giles, make her stop!
- Eureka Moment: Xander realising that Willow is behind it all.
Wait.. married.. I know something.. what is it..? Everything's so familiar.. Work, brain —- work! Oh! Oh oh! Willow!
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Buffy has the same crinkly hairstyle that she has in other episodes where she's Not Herself.
- Foe Romance Subtext: Lampshaded re Spuffy.
Buffy: I think maybe we fought because we couldn't admit how we really felt about each other.
- Franchise Original Sin: Whether it was intentional or not, the episode foreshadows a lot of the things that fandom later reacted negatively to in Season Six.
- Funny Background Event: Willow changes Rat!Amy into a Naked on Arrival human, then back into a rat without even realising it.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Buffy to Spike moments before they fall in love.
Buffy: Oh make a move, please. I'm dying for a good (s)lay.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Spike doesn't like Buffy mentioning the Angel word.
Spike: Well, where would Angel like to register? And can we have the photographer Angel would've wanted? And, flowers Angel would have liked?
Buffy: Hey! You think I don't live with the shadow of Drusilla over my head? That I'm not wondering if you're going to be thinking of her on our honeymoon when you're making...(goes all misty eyed) sweet love to me?
- Hilarious in Hindsight / Harsher in Hindsight: Depending on your point of view. The episode was largely made in response to the Buffy/Spike shippers, to point out how ridiculous a relationship between them would be. Less than a year later, the show bowed to the pressure and began to move toward pairing them up for real.
- Holding Hands: Xander and Anya are rather puzzled as to why Buffy/Spike are doing this.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Giles reaction to Spuffy smoochies.
- In Love with Your Carnage: D'Hoffryn is impressed by the chaos Willow caused, and tries to recruit her as a vengeance demon.
- It Was There I Swear: Buffy discovers Spike searching the lawns near the college, claiming this was where he escaped from the Initiative, but there's no sign of any exit. He starts tearing at the grass, shouting threats and demands to be put back the way he was. Buffy naturally assumes Spike is just stalling and hauls him away.
- "Just Joking" Justification: Buffy brushes off her engagement with Spike as a practical joke on Riley.
Buffy: I saw that fear in your eyes when you caught me looking at wedding dresses, and I had to give you a hard time.
Riley: I did not have fear in my eyes.
Buffy: Yes you did. You were looking at me like I was a cartoon ball and chain.
- Kissing Under the Influence
- Kubrick Stare: Spike to Buffy while drinking from her mug.
- Lame Comeback
Spike: You're not gonna do anything to me. You don't got the stones.
Buffy: Oh, I got the stones. I got a whole bunch of .. stones!
- Magic Misfire: Because of her spell, every unheeding, angry comment Willow makes throughout this episode sparks one of these. The original spell could be branded a misfire itself, since it didn't do what she'd hoped (get rid of her pain over Oz's loss) and worked in a way she hadn't wanted or expected.
- Magnum Opus: This is Tracey Forbes' most well-regarded episode of the series; in fact, the Buffy Phenomenon website (which ranks the episodes using data collected from a massive number of "best/worst episode" lists) has it ranked 19th out of all 144 episodes! Of course, considering that her only other episodes are the widely-reviled "Beer Bad" and "Where the Wild Things Are" (which incidentally, fall as 139 and 142 on the same list), most fans consider this episode to be a fluke.
- Make-Out Kids: Lovestruck Spike and Buffy can't keep their lips off each other.
Giles: Stop that right now! I can hear the smacking.
- Moment Killer: Sadface!Willow turning up at Buffy and Riley's picnic.
- Mood Whiplash: When Buffy and Spike wake up from the spell and realise they're smooching.
- My Card
D'Hoffryn: Here is my talisman. You change your mind, give us a chant.
- Oblivious Guilt Slinging: Riley tells Buffy he likes her because she's a mystery.
- Old, New, Borrowed and Blue
- Parental Substitute: Giles is (momentarily) moved when Buffy asks him to give her away at the wedding.
- Pun: Drunk Willow riffs on the poem "Not Waving but Drowning" by Stevie Smith.
- Ragtag Band of Misfits: The Scoobies naturally; lampshaded by Spike.
Spike: This is the crack team that foils my every plan? I am deeply shamed.
- Respawning Enemies: get attracted towards Xander.
- Rock Bottom
Spike: I'm chained in a bathtub, drinking pig's blood from a novelty mug!
- Running Gag: More jokes about Spike's 'performance issues'.
Giles: Spike, we have no intention of killing a harmless...uh, creature, but we have to know what's been done to you. We can't let you go until we're sure that you're...impotent.
Giles: Sorry, poor choice of words. Until we're sure you're, you're...
- Sickeningly Sweethearts
- Silly Love Songs: Spike embarrasses Buffy by telling the Scoobies she wanted "Wind Beneath My Wings" played at her wedding.
Buffy: That was the spell...
- Smash Cut
I'd be really happy to be in a nice relationship with a decent, reliable oh my God Riley thinks I'm engaged! Willow:
Riley. He-he-he saw me. What the hell am I going to say?! (Cut to UC Sunnydale campus. Buffy and Riley are walking together; Buffy is laughing)
Buffy: You thought I was serious?
- Squick: Buffy's In-Universe reaction to feeding Spike blood through a straw.
Spike: Oh don't act so dainty, you must have done the same for Angel.
- Suspect Is Hatless
Buffy: So you saw their faces but you can't describe them?
Spike: Well, they were human. Two eyes each, kind of in the middle.
- Tempting Fate: Buffy sulking.
Spike: Oh, pouty! Look at that lip.. gonna get it.. gonna get it... (starts nibbling on her lip)
- After all the shenanigans finish, Buffy says she's totally over the bad boy thing.
- Timmy in a Well: Why Spike wants to watch Passions.
- The Triple: Riley invites Buffy for a picnic. "I thought maybe we could have a little spread, sandwiches, maybe some ants..."
- Too Much Information: Buffy has just told Riley she's marrying Spike.
Riley: Who is this guy? Does he go here [to college]?
Riley: OK, it's late...so I'm just going to go far away...
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?: Buffy and Spike squabble over the names on the marriage invitations.
- Also, when Buffy tells Riley the grooms name is "Spike," Riley responds, "That's a name?"
- Why Don't You Marry It?: A distraught Willow, looking for a shoulder to cry on, is angry when Buffy has to leave her to go chase Spike. She makes the inevitable comment and Hilarity Ensues.
- You're Insane!: Riley's reaction to Buffy playing off her earlier spell-induced antics as a joke.
Riley: You're insane.
Buffy: Uh huh.
Riley: But you're still single.