We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Recap: Buffy The Vampire Slayer S 5 E 3 The Replacement
Xander: I'd like to see you handle having an evil twin!
A demon accidentally fires something into Xander which creates a Xander clone.
- An Aesop: Xander realises his inner potential. Again.
- An Axe to Grind: Buffy in the garbage dump.
- Applied Phlebotinum: Toth's "creepy stick thing", the ferula-gemina. "It splits one person in half, distilling personality traits into two separate bodies."
- Artistic License – Gun Safety: Averted; Xander unloads his pistol before handing it to Buffy.
- Badass Long Robe: Toth
Buffy: He ran away, huh?
Giles: Um, sort of more ... uh ... turned and swept out majestically.
- Butt Monkey: Scruffy!Xander. Also Giles to some extent — he can't get anyone to take him seriously, whether the Scoobies when he gives a Big "OMG!" or a demon whom he's futilely clobbering with a fertility statue.
- Call Back: Willow, to the events of Doppelgangland, relating to the similarities and contrasts with the current episode.
Willow: Xander. You already knew that he was taking over your life, and you didn't think of Anya until just now?
Xander: Hey, you wait until you have an evil twin. Let's see how you handle it. (Exits)
Willow: (Bemused, to herself) I think I handled it just fine.
- Buffy's "bad ice-skating movie obsession" is from "What's My Line?", where she mentioned being a fan of Dorothy Hamill.
- Captain Obvious
Buffy: If Xander kills himself, he's dead. (frowns) You know what I mean.
- Continuity Cavalcade: Riley is helping Xander leave his parent's basement forever.
Riley: Getting nostalgic?
- Damned by Faint Praise / Distressed Dude
Xander: But I never help. I get in trouble and Buffy saves me.
Willow: That's not true! Sometimes we all helped save you. (realizes that was unhelpful) And sometimes you're not in trouble.
- A Day in the Limelight: This applies to Xander twice over!
- Deadpan Snarker: Joyce shows that It Runs in the Family.
Dawn: Mom, I can stand in the hallway, right?
Buffy: She's watching us [Buffy/Riley smooching] like a big freak!
Joyce: (sighs, puts hand to her forehead) This must be my "two teenage girls in the house" headache. I thought it felt familiar.
Buffy: Good work, Dawn. You gave her a headache.
Dawn: I did not! (to Joyce) Did I give you a headache, Mom? I'm sure part of it is Buffy's.
Buffy: But part of it is Dawn's.
Joyce: It's so nice you've learned to share.
- Description Cut: Willow re witch cliches. "Who uses a cauldron any more?" Cut to the demon using a bubbling cauldron for his incantation.
- Did Not Do the Bloody Research: In-Universe — Buffy assumes that "Toth" is British for "moron".
- Double Consciousness: Buffy asks Riley if he wishes he could be rid of Slayer Buffy and just have Buffy Buffy. His reply is comforting but not convincing to her: "I have Buffy Buffy... There's no part of you I'm not in love with".
- Down in the Dumps: Where Toth demons lurk and neutered vampires scavenge.
- Empathic Environment: It rains on Xander when he goes to get Buffy's help, only to find his other self has got there first and Buffy is fixing to kill him.
- Evil Twin: Subverted. Both twins are Xander, but they received different aspects of the original when they split off.
- Eyes Never Lie: Averted; Anya can't tell the difference between the two Xanders, despite Scruffy!Xander's plea.
- Foreshadowing / "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: Sure, it's just a "two teenage girls in the house" headache...
- For Science!: As a psychology major and former Initiative boy, Riley asks if anyone else wants to separate the Xanders and do experiments on them. "Just me, then."
- Felony Misdemeanor: One look at the dump and Riley continues to lose faith in humanity.
Riley: People say they're recycling. They're not recycling.
- Get a Room!: Xander opens a door in his new apartment to find Buffy and Riley making out. He tells them to go find a bedroom, then realises they're already in one.
- Hollywood Healing: Averted; Anya is still recovering from a dislocated shoulder, after being knocked down by Mort in the previous episode.
- Hypno Trinket: Xander notices his Evil Twin carries a shiny coin that appears to change everyone's attitude towards him.
- Improvised Weapon: Giles rummages in a box for something to ward off Toth. He finds a rabbit's foot, then a wooden statue.
Toth: That is a fertility god. (Giles looks at it in dismay) Feeble man, you are not going to distract me— (Giles hits him with the statue)
- I Say What I Say
Anya: What do we do if it doesn't work?
Buffy: They're kind of the same now.
Giles: Yes, he's clearly a bad influence on himself.
- Literal Split Personality: Toth's weapon was meant to split Buffy into her human and Slayer sides — he would then kill the weaker human version, causing the other to die. Instead it seperates Xander into an "aggressive" Xander (charming, well-groomed, and confident; but hot-headed and impetuous) and a "passive" Xander (awkward, paranoid, and insecure; but with Xander's trademark sense of humor).
- Making Use of the Twin: The second Xander was played by Nicholas Brendon's real-life identical twin, though Nicholas would play the main speaking role in each scene.
- Martial Arts Do Not Work That Way: Buffy complains about the unrealistic fight scenes in the Chop Sockey movie.
- Moment Killer: Dawn on the Buffy/Riley snog.
My friend Sharon's older brother knows a girl who died because she choked on her boyfriend's tongue.
- Oh, Crap
Giles: Oh dear Lord. (Scoobies keep talking among themselves) I said, "Oh, dear lord."
Buffy: You always say that.
Giles: Well, it's always important!
- Red Herring: The shiny coin the other Xander carries isn't used to hypnotize people, it's just a trinket. Also Spike's dummy appears to be about him plotting to kill Buffy, but it's actually foreshadowing his obsession with her.
- Shaped Like Itself: "It's an evil robot, constructed from evil parts that look like me designed to do evil!"
- Shirtless Scene: Our first sight of Suave!Xander.
- Shout-Out: When they try to put the two Xanders back together.
Anya: What do we do if this doesn't work?
- Spot the Imposter: Xander does the Snoopy dance to prove he's the real Xander. Willow is rather confused, as she doesn't even know there's two Xanders walking around.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Not that Xander is still into Buffy — not that he ever was.
- Taking the Bullet: Xander gets hit by Toth's magical blast when he shoves Buffy aside.
- The Triple: Riley loves all of Buffy. "I'm talkin' toes, elbows, the whole bad ice-skating-movie obsession..."
- Transformation Ray
- Twin Threesome Fantasy
So... you Xanders really do have all the same memories, all the same... (looking downward)
physical attributes? Suave Xander:
We're completely identical. Scruffy Xander:
Yeah, we checked out some stuff in the car on the way over... (off Anya's look) Fingerprints! Anya:
Well, maybe we shouldn't do this reintegration thing right away. See, I can take the boys home, and... we can all have sex together, and... you know, just slap 'em back together in the morning. Suave Xander:
She's joking. Scruffy Xander:
No she's not! She entirely wants to have sex with us together. Which is... wrong
, and, and it would be very confusing. Anya:
It's not like it'd be cheating. They're both Xander.
- Wham Line: "But she doesn't love me".
- Your Door Was Open: Lampshaded when Willow bursts into Giles' place.
Giles: I swear, this time I know I had that locked.