Gorgeous Garment Generation
Oh no! Jeremy's here! How am I going to get ready in three seconds?! (Phineas, Ferb, and Isabella suddenly get zapped by Doofenshmirtz's Ball-gown-inator ray and are instantly clothed in ballgowns.) Ferb:
...Apparently, do what we did
This is when you have a magical adventure And Your Reward Is Clothes
. Not just any clothes either, Costume Porn
clothes that come out of nowhere
This can happen many ways, from a Transformation Sequence
, to waving a Magic Wand
, to Applied Phlebotinum
making the clothes.
A Sister Trope
to Virtual Paper Doll
Compare Instant Cosplay Surprise
. Contrast The Nudifier
. For the eco-friendly variant, Green Thumb
can create a Garden Garment
Not to be confused with Gorgeous Period Dress
Anime & Manga
Film - Animated
- Lucy's celestial spirits in Fairy Tail provide her and her friends with regal-looking clothes when clothing is necessary.
- Rue gets a beautiful dress this way at the end of Princess Tutu. Mytho also changes into a gorgeous "prince outfit" (complete with sword) for the final battle.
- In Guilty Crown, Mana is initially unclothed after her ressurection, but takes the time to manifest a ballett dress out of crystals before getting down to the whole eradicating-humanity-business.
- October Daye has this forced upon her by various fairies. She finds it annoying.
- In the "Velveteen Vs." series by the same author, The Princess has this as a superpower.
- In Robert A. Heinlein's novella Magic, Inc., Jedson is seen working with a young witch whose specialty is creating unique garments out of thin air. Unfortunately, she's been having some problems and produces dresses that are copies of existing designs on one try, and several hundred left shoes on another.
- In A Christmas Dream by Louisa May Alcott, rich girl Effie dreams she is poor and out on the street. An angel appears and turns the snow falling on her into a white fur cape and hood.
- Harry and Susan of The Dresden Files get one in Changes, courtesy of Lea (who is, yes, Harry's fairy godmother, and she revels in this opportunity). It also serves as heavy-duty magical gear. Half averted, though. While Susan's new gear got her checked-out by everyone; Harry's got laughs. He described it as the Games Workshop imagining of a Jedi Knight. Fitting, because he's a game-breakingly badass magician, in a world of Eldritch Abominations, and is now the Winter Knight.
- The original Fairy Tale of Cinderella has the Fairy Godmother make a dress for the title heroine.
- Dairine resorts to this in Wizards at War after finding she has nothing in her closet suitable for meeting alien royalty. Unfortunately, she doesn't consider that reconfiguring her clothes on a molecular level will leave her momentarily nude, and she isn't alone at the time.
- Lindsey Stirling gets one of these in the music video for the orchestral version of her original track "Transcendence". She begins in an old abandoned theatre wearing dull raggedy clothes, but during her first twirl playing the violin she finds, her outfit becomes bright blue with gold decorations. She then helps other people transform in the same way.
- One of the joke items featured in an April issue of Dragon Magazine was the "Snazzy Ring", a magical ring that would make the wearer's armour take on the appearance of an elegant gown or suit, while still providing the same level of protection. Unless it went wrong, in which case it left you genuinely naked and destroyed your outfit, making it The Nudifier as well if you roll a 1.
- In 1st Edition the Rod of Splendor could garb the wielder in magical noble's clothing - the finest fabrics, plus adornments of furs and jewels, worth 7,000-10,000 gold pieces.
- One of the many bizarre inventions of Dr. Doofenschmirtz from Phineas and Ferb is a "Ball-gown-inator" that, well, puts a formal dress on anyone zapped by it. The idea was to use it on every male in the Tri-State Area so he would be comparatively more manly. There's a Freudian Excuse involved.
- In the He-Man and She-Ra Christmas Special, Skeletor uses his staff to create parkas on the kids he kidnapped, to show the spirit of Christmas was getting to him.
- In My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Rarity usually makes dresses the hard way - on a sewing machine, with a bit of unicorn telekinesis to make up for her lack of fingers. When her talent is challenged by Trixie in "Boast Busters", though, she transforms a curtain into a quite impressive dress in a matter of seconds.
- Winx Club, Stella is capable of creating numerous dresses with her magic.
- The Magic Adventures Of Mumfie did this in Scarecrowella, giving Scarecrow a tuxedo and tails with a top hat.