open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In Neon Genesis Evangelion: At the end of Asuka's first day of school, her shoe locker is entirely filled with love letters.
- Nagisa in Futari wa Pretty Cure gets unwanted love letters from other girls.
- Megumi in Cheeky Angel gets love letters from both sexes, as well as her True Companions and Instant Fan Club.
- Hazumi in Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito receives love letters from one particular girl whose identity she heartbreakingly fails to figure out.
- Tomari from Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl gets love letters from other girls. This is very much to her dismay, even though she does fall in love with her old childhood buddy Hazumu after he changed into a girl.
- In D.N.Angel's first chapter, Daisuke gives Risa a love letter, but she turns him down.
- In Naruto Sakura gets a love letter from a shinobi from the Rock Village, she turns him down saying that her heart is taken
- In Kaitou Saint Tail the titular protagonist, a stage-magic using Phantom Thief that steals from thieves to give the loot back to the legitimate owners, has the habit of sending rather romantic warnings to her beloved Sympathetic Inspector Antagonist... Who didn't notice they were barely-veiled love letters until a villain, seeing him calling one a 'burglary warning', pointed out it was a love letter and called him an idiot. Two of these 'burglary warnings' were delivered in the form of lunchboxes Saint Tail prepared with her own hands.
- Yugami of all people gets one in Yugami-kun ni wa Tomodachi ga Inai. The problem is the letter puts him off because it overglorifies his personality and he doesn't even remember the girl that sent it to him.
- The Ultimate Evil: when Valerie Payne tells Shendu that she wants to fall in love before becoming married, he takes it as a challenge and makes it a habit to send her love letters regularly. While Valerie doesn't want to admit any feelings for the Demon Sorcerer, she doesn't throw any of the letters away. Shendu states that he thought it fitting to use romanticism in letter writing to woo Valerie because it's becoming a lost art in modern times. He includes to the last letter a magical symbol that Valerie can use to call him, and it possibly saves her life when she's mauled nearly to death.
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit has Roger writing a love letter to Jessica. the paper turns out to have Marvin Acme's will written in "disappearing, reappearing ink".
- Book six of Ranger's Apprentice ends with Will getting a letter from Alyss admitting she loves him. He goes right away to tell her he feels the same.
- In Persuasion, Captain Wentworth writes a love letter to his Old Flame Anne Elliot saying "You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope." He actually writes it while she's standing in the same room, about five feet away, which she realizes while she's reading it later.
- In The Rivals, Sir Lucius writes a letter expressing his feelings for Lydia, and enlists her maid to deliver it discreetly; it leads to an ongoing correspondence. What he doesn't learn until the end of the play is that the maid played a prank on him and he's actually been corresponding with Lydia's battleax of an aunt.
- Used pretty tragically in Rule of Rose, where Meg's love letter for Diana is not well received, and the protagonist Jennifer gets to suffer ire from both sides after being unwillingly dragged into the mess.
- In Persona 4, the protagonist will receive love letters in his shoebox if he does good at tests, usually containing some useful item or other that a secret admirer has made for you. And if you think it's one of your Love Interests who did it, you're in for a shock later.... As the Fortune Social Link reveals, Naoto is also plagued by these on a regular basis ('plagued' because the detective prince has better things to do than play around with romance).
- You can collect these for a sidequest in Dragon Age: Origins. The quest-giver wants them as blackmail material over their noble authors.