A Love Confession
in written form. When characters aren't brave enough to come out and say they like someone, the accepted way around a direct confrontation is a love letter, usually anonymously left in a shoe locker or prominent area, with a request to meet at a predetermined location. The intent is better known than the identity of the person; the letter is often pink, in cute handwriting, and smells like perfume. Bonus with lipstick marks.
If things get complicated, such as by giving the letter to the wrong person, the recipient misinterpreting it somehow, or perhaps the recipient deciding to blow up the locker with the letter inside
, that's Love Letter Lunacy
See also Obsessive Love Letter
, for when the recipient is creeped out by the letter due to it being obsessive and over the top.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In Neon Genesis Evangelion: At the end of Asuka's first day of school, her shoe locker is entirely filled with love letters.
- Nagisa in Futari wa Pretty Cure gets unwanted love letters from other girls.
- Megumi in Tenshi Na Konamaiki gets love letters from both sexes, as well as her True Companions and Instant Fan Club.
- Hazumi in Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito receives love letters from one particular girl whose identity she heartbreakingly fails to figure out.
- Tomari from Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl gets love letters from other girls. This is very much to her dismay, even though she does fall in love with her old childhood buddy Hazumu after he changed into a girl.
- In D.N.Angel's first chapter, Daisuke gives Risa a love letter, but she turns him down.
- In Naruto Sakura gets a love letter from a shinobi from the Rock Village, she turns him down saying that her heart is taken
- In Kaitou Saint Tail the titular protagonist, a stage-magic using Phantom Thief that steals from thieves to give the loot back to the legitimate owners, has the habit of sending rather romantic warnings to her beloved Sympathetic Inspector Antagonist... Who didn't notice they were barely-veiled love letters until a villain, seeing him calling one a 'burglary warning', pointed out it was a love letter and called him an idiot. Two of these 'burglary warnings' were delivered in the form of lunchboxes Saint Tail prepared with her own hands.
- Book six of Ranger's Apprentice ends with Will getting a letter from Alyss admitting she loves him. He goes right away to tell her he feels the same.
- Used pretty tragically in Rule of Rose, where Meg's love letter for Diana is not well received, and the protagonist Jennifer gets to suffer ire from both sides after being unwillingly dragged into the mess.
- In Persona 4, the protagonist will receive love letters in his shoebox if he does good at tests, usually containing some useful item or other that a secret admirer has made for you. And if you think it's one of your Love Interests who did it, you're in for a shock later.... As the Fortune Social Link reveals, Naoto is also plagued by these on a regular basis ('plagued' because the detective prince has better things to do than play around with romance).