generally range from sweet to awkward. But occasionally, they're downright creepy. This usually occurs when a character gets love letters from an obsessive admirer. Typically, there's one creepy letter to start with, but as the recipient doesn't respond, it's followed by dozens more, all written individually and personalized.
The creepiness of the letters can vary, from mild versions where the writer knows way
too much about the recipient to extreme versions where the letters are filled with threats alongside the endearments, to anything in between. The one constant is that the letter will always creep the recipient out.
Subtrope to Love Letter
. See also Stalker with a Crush
and Love Letter Lunacy
open/close all folders
Live Action TV
- In Smallville, the second season episode "Nocturne," a teen whose parents keep him locked in his basement (to control his Superpowered Evil Side) escapes occasionally to leave Lana unsigned love poems at her parents' graves.
- The Blood Hound Gang's "The Ballad Of Chasey Lain" is about a fan of the adult film actress who writes a series of letter to her asking her to perform various sexual acts with him
- Eminem's "Stan" might also count, although it's not a love letter but just letters of an obsessive fan to his idol.
- Ivan the Apprentice of Oglaf receives a series of decreasingly sane ones from his boss' minions as a joke.
- One of the many of the items that SCP Foundation has is a mailbox designated as SCP-1269, which sends romantic letters to its female owners, which quickly become possessive in tone, and later downright crazy and murderous.
- SCP-962 sends these, with humanity being the target of its affection.