Passing Notes in Class
When class is in session, one student would pass a note to his/her crush, usually during a lecture. He/she must usually rely on other students next to him/her due to being far away from his/her crush. Unfortunately, the teacher usually finds out as the note is being passed and confiscates it, as this is often forbidden in the classroom. The teacher may even force the offending student to read it out loud to the rest of the class, resulting in embarrassment. It's becoming something of an Aluminum Christmas Tree as younger and younger kids have access to cell phones and texting.
- Yard Ape does this to Ramona in Ramona Quimby, Age 8 and sure enough, one of the times he does it, the teacher confiscates the note.
- A variation in Vampire Academy. Rose and Lissa pass notes in class and Mia Rinaldi tells on them. Mr. Nagy takes it and reads it aloud in front of the whole class, revealing the "hook up" Rose had with Jesse Zeklos.
- In an episode of Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide, Bitsy manages to get several students in trouble by pasting sticky notes onto them, giving them detention. At the end, everyone gets back at her my pasting notes onto her until she's completely covered with them.
- In the song "Check Yes Or No" by George Strait, the main character, in third grade, becomes friends with a girl, and in class she passes him a note. The teacher noticed it and took it away, but not before the boy read it:
Do you love me, do you wanna be my friend?And if you doWell then don't be afraid to take me by the handIf you want to.I think this is how love goes, check yes or no.
- This happens fairly often in Calvin and Hobbes. One time when Calvin tried to read a note that Susie told him not to read, it read "Calvin, you stinkhead, I told you not to read this".
- In The Order of the Stick, Haley combines this with Arrow Gram as a gag during the Azure city battle, the arrow hitting a hobgoblin mook about to attack Elan. Said arrow had a cute romantic note on notebook paper. Hinjo plays up the role of the exasperated teacher who takes the note and requests to see Elan after class, err battle.
- When CatDog gets sent back to high school to get their diploma, Cat tries to pass a note to his teacher, whom he had a crush on when they went to high school together. She catches him and forces him to read the poem to everyone else, causing Cat to melt into a puddle. Dog, however, thinks the poem was beautiful.
- A variant occurs in The Amazing World of Gumball where the kids at school are about to attend Rachel's party, but they all have to bring a date. Gumball gets a mysterious note flown to him while in the cafeteria, saying "Will you be the jelly in my peanut butter sandwich?". It eventually turns out to be from his crush Penny, who is literally a peanut.
- Subverted in "The Mustache", when Gumball and Darwin are passing a drawing of themselves as adults and Miss Simian catches them, but decides since she's talking about puberty they're actually on-topic and continues her lecture.
- Inverted in a Family Guy Cutaway Gag in which a teacher passes a student a "Do you like me? Yes - No - Maybe" note while lecturing.
- In The Simpsons episode "Lisa's Date with Density", Lisa develops a crush on Nelson, so she asks Milhouse to pass her note to Nelson. Unfortunately, Nelson thinks Milhouse wrote the note, since he's waving at him. Cut to Milhouse being led away on a stretcher, badly bruised.