Creator: Avatar Press
A relatively small Comic Book company. It started out jumping the "Bad Girls" bandwagon, taking the fad to its logical conclusion - in other words, they published a lot supernaturally flavored near-porn. Sometime around 2001, the EIC realized that porn alone wasn't going to cut it. The company approached a number of established writers and offered them an opportunity to publish their creator-owned comics without any content restrictions whatsoever. Warren Ellis latched onto them hard, resulting in them becoming known as "The guys who print those awesome Warren Ellis comics no sane publisher would touch with a cattle prod"... along with loads of near-porn. And graphic horror.
Avatar series and graphic novels include:
- Anna Mercury
- Black Gas
- Black Summer
- The Chronicles Of Wormwood
- Doktor Sleepless
- Friday the 13th Special
- Friday the 13th: Bloodbath
- Ignition City
- Jason X Special
- Lady Death
Most of Avatar's books generally have these tropes:
- Brand Name Takeover: "Avatar Press? Oh, yeahhhh... Warren Ellis' company. They make some Garth Ennis stuff, too. They rock so hard they change the physical properties of things!"
- Doing It for the Art: Pretty much why they managed to get guys like Ellis, Ennis, and Moore.
- Fanservice: Unless Ellis or Ennis is writing, then it quickly becomes Fan Disservice.
- Gorn: The horror titles are full of it, especially in the various alternative covers.