"Do you see this? Do you see this wind? This is Revlon Wind, okay? It makes me look even hotter than usual."
The Hot Wind
(also known as the Mystic Hot Girl Wind or the Wind of Sexy) is generated by the first appearance of a particularly attractive (usually female) character. When she walks in, a mysterious breeze
tousles her hair and clothing in the most fetching way possible. Usually, this all happens in Slow Motion
Frequently appears in conjunction with Gaussian Girls
of Dramatic Wind
. Compare the Marilyn Maneuver
Not to be confused with actual hot winds like Foehn or Santa Ana winds
, or any reputed physiological or psychological effects surrounding the same.
open/close all folders
- Every shampoo/conditioner/makeup commercial ever
- Jane Krakowski, playing off her 30 Rock persona, has her hair tousled this way in a commercial for low-calorie orange juice. As the camera angle changes, we see she's making a friend hold a fan up to her.
Anime and Manga
- Spoofed in Love Lab where Maki tries to invoke this with fans. Riko tells her to cut it out.
- Wayne's World: Most shots of Garth's crush feature this.
- Astrid in How to Train Your Dragon. Justified because she was walking out of a conflagration at the time... which makes it a literal Hot Wind.
- Played with in Twilight - when Edward first sees Bella, she gets this treatment, because she's standing in front of a fan. Edward gives a freaked-out reaction to her. It seems like he's reacting to her appearance, but we later find out it's because the fan was blowing her smell towards him - to him, a vampire, she smells more delicious than anyone he's ever met.
Live Action TV
- Scrubs, justified because of a fan behind the character.
- It actually happens nearly every time an attractive female is introduced. Eventually lampshaded in the eighth season when JD narrates how he likes to describe attractive women walking in slow motion with wind blowing through their hair whenever she meets them.
- In The Dresden Files, three Raith sisters get this in Turn Coat. Justified, as they show up by jumping out of a helicopter that's level with the trees. Lampshaded by Harry, who said that if there were any justice in the world, he would get to watch them walk in slow motion.
- Yukiko Amagi's portrait uses it in Persona 4 Arena. And the story mode describes it in detail when she summons her alter ego.
- Happens to Sky in Shantae.