open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- Ranma ½: Ranma Saotome pretty much makes it his mission to interrupt and shoot down all of Ryoga's attempts to confess to Akane. For hilarity, Ranma is usually in drag, acting like a girl, and just being a Manipulative Bastard in general.
- In Cardcaptor Sakura this seems to be what is happening with between Touya and Yukito with Nakuru constantly butting into the conversation on purpose at the exact point that it seems that confession is about to take place seemingly as she fancies Touya herself. It's actually somewhat more complicated Touya is actually trying to confess that he knows Yukito isn't human... AND that he loves him and wants to sacrifice his own magic powers to save Yukito's/Yue's life, but Nakuru/Ruby Moon wants to steal Touya's power before he can do so.
- Syaoran gets his fair share of them during the second half of the series. He tries in several episodes to tell Sakura that he likes her, only to get cut short by Kero, Yamazaki, and at one point even Sakura herself!
- A much more tragic one in "X1999". Maybe. Seishirou's last words to Subaru are "I ... you.." Seishirou being who he is, it's up in the air as to what he meant to say and if he was being genuine or simply mind gaming Subaru.
- In To Love-Ru it's basically a Running Gag that something will happen whenever Rito or Haruna want to confess to each other. At least twice Haruna has been dragged off and replaced by someone else while Rito was trying to squeeze the words out. And they have been interrupted a couple more times. The first time it was Lala, which helped set everything up, although she did later realize he didn't mean her at the time. The second time Haruna was replaced by....most of his class
- In Fairy Tail, Simon, Erza's childhood friend, is nearly killed while doing his declaration of love to her. They only see each other 8 years later.
- Steins;Gate episode 22 has Kurisu charging back into the lab to tell Okabe she also loves him, but he's already hit the button to begin another time leap.
- In Shakugan no Shana, Shana wins a costume contest and is told to give a speech. She attempts to use this to declare her love for Yuji, but Pheles suddenly attacks the event with a tornado.
- Hana Yori Dango had this as a joke in one episode. When Domyouji tries to confess his love to Tsukushi the next day after he's saved her from freezing to death, the noise from a passing snow plow blares over his voice so she can't hear him. Then, when he tries spelling it out for her on a little electronic device instead, she happens to look up and see a shooting star that just happens to be zipping by overhead at that moment and misses his message.
- Irresponsible Captain Tylor:
- Harumi breaks down in tears after Captain Tylor is taken away as a captive by her Raalgon superior, saying that he showed her the meaning of a human heart, but part of her speech is drowned by the shuttle's engines, so we don't know if she was making a Love Confession as well. We only see Yuriko's startled expression (she was giving Harumi a Cooldown Hug at the time, so was close enough to hear what was said).
- Empress Azalyn falls for Tylor, but her Love Confession is interrupted by an attempted assassination via bomb. Azalyn accompanies the comatose Tylor aboard his vessel as a prisoner in order to finish telling him, though the usual comic shenanigans continue to get in the way.
- This is Played for Laughs in Ah! My Goddess. Keiichi works up the nerve to finally confess his love to Belldandy. The moment was right, and the two were alone. Keiichi begins to speak the words... but then Skuld pops out of nowhere, right in front of Keiichi when he says "I love you." Keiichi is embarrassed that he said it to Skuld, and Skuld goes into a Heroic B.S.O.D. of sorts due to the shock that Keiichi confessed to her. Certainly it had to have been a mistake! Belldandy, however, knew that his words were directed at her, and was very happy to hear him confess his true feelings for her.
- In Attack on Titan, moments away from them being eaten by the same Titan who killed Eren's mother, Mikasa starts to confess her feelings to him and leans in to give him a Last Kiss, only for Eren to regain his fighting spirit and interrupt her.
- Hajime no Ippo: At first Ippo just Cannot Spit It Out, but during the Beach Episode, in a hotel room, at last he manages to say to Kumi, "I've always loved you!" Unfortunately he beats around the bush so much that Kumi has fallen asleep by the time he says it and she was a bit drunk too. So the declaration is "interrupted" by her not listening to it.
- My Monster Secret:
- A flash-back where the protagonist Asahi was called on and rejected by the Class Rep before he even confessed. Remembering that, he quickly goes to confess to his new crush Youko... only to find out she's a vampire, and that her secret must not be revealed or she'll have to leave the school. Because of that, he ends up shelving his confession and asking her to become "friends". Asking her out in exchange for keeping her secret would have sounded a bit too much like blackmail after all.
- In chapter 47, Asahi is really about to confess this time, but Youko panics and cuts him with a Love You and Everybody reply, before running away.
- In Empowered, Mind is interrupted when he declares his love to Sistah Spooky, who arrives precisely "three seconds too late" to save her from burning up in a descending space station.
- In My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (IDW) #7, Spike tries to tell he loves Rarity, but he stutters and is cut short by Nightmare Rarity, who coldly mocks him.
- In Runaways, Gert Yorkes dies in the middle of trying to tell Chase Stein that she loves him.
- Sin City. Nancy Callahan is about to tell John Hartigan she's fallen in love with him since he saved her life as a child, when the man in the car tailing them puts a bullet through the windscreen. After Hartigan disposes of the attacker she completes the confession in a hotel room, and even offers Rescue Sex (which Hartigan turns down on principle, as his love for her is of a surrogate daughter).
- In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, during the Battle for Hogwarts Ron tries to confess to Hermione while they're being chased by Nagini, but Hermione interrupts him:
Hermione: I don't want you to say anything that you wouldn't say if we weren't about to be killed by a giant snake. It'll just ruin it.
Live Action TV
- In The Sarah Jane Adventures, Clyde is trapped on a spaceship running out of air. He records a video for his friends and, addressing Rani, says "I always...always..." before he loses consciousness.
- The Doctor and Rose in the Doctor Who episode "Doomsday". She manages to spit it out, but he gets interrupted. Ouch.
- On Zoey 101, this becomes somewhat of a Running Gag for Chase, who has been in love with his best friend Zoey since the day he met her. He tries valiantly several times to tell her how he feels, only to be interrupted—usually by the friends who keep telling him to reveal his feelings. Ironically, for all the times he tried to tell her on purpose, he ends up telling her completely by accident.
- Ross is constantly cut off through the first season when he finds the nerve to ask Rachel out. He never could find the right time because just as he wants to tell her, he's attacked by a cat that falls on him, or Rachel dates somebody else.
- In the second series, it was Rachel. She found out about Ross and realized she had feelings for him but couldn't do anything because he had started dating someone else.
- The Professionals. Bodie and Doyle are driving a New Old Flame of their boss George Cowley to the airport after she's survived an assassination attempt, and she begins to say, "Tell George I..." before being drowned out by a police siren. She doesn't repeat herself, and the two debate afterwards what they should tell Cowley. They decide not to mention the comment.
- A variation from The X-Files: Interrupted Invitation for a Date. Agent Pendrell has had a crush on Scully for some time. He met her at a bar on her birthday in "Tempus Fugit". He was really excited to see her and also clearly drunk, so he had the guts to ask her for a drink. Scully was with a soldier she was protecting but Pendrell didn't give up and bought drinks for himself, Scully and the soldier as well. Poor Pendrell got shot a moment later and was rushed to hospital. He died off-screen in the next episode.
- In Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter, Charlotte is just about to tell her childhood friend Wilhelm that she loves him, as he is due to leave for the Russian front, but they are interrupted by a knock on the door from none other than the Gestapo.
- Angel. After Amoral Attorney Lilah Morgan is killed, her lover Wesley has a Dead Person Conversation about their Dating Catwoman relationship.
Lilah: The only true thing I ever—
Wesley: You didn't love me! You couldn't.
Lilah: We'll never know now, will we?
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In "Crush" Spike is about to blurt out a Love Confession when Buffy cuts him off, shocked and disgusted that this amoral former enemy turned reluctant ally has fallen for her. To ensure he won't be interrupted a second time, Spike later zaps Buffy with a taser and chains her up in his crypt so she'll have to listen to his full spiel. Needless to say Buffy is not impressed by this either.
- How I Met Your Mother: Many times, due to the UST
- In "Do I Know You?", Barney was about to tell Robin he loved her, but Robin introduced a girl to him. Just that and Barney was back to his way of womanizing
- In "The Best Man", Robin barely got to "Barney, I..." when Barney's phone rang
- An interesting case in "The Leap". Barney wanted to confess his love to Robin, but she told him she loved him. Freaked out, he immediately told her they should be friends
- Murdoch Mysteries: Late in "The Murdoch Sting", Murdoch literally goes down on one knee and tries to propose to Dr. Ogden. At first, he interrupts himself while trying to pop the question, but then she interrupts him to say, "I can't!" before fleeing into her house. He doesn't know this at the time—indeed, he knocks on her door and calls out to her—but she's gotten a letter purportedly from arch-nemesis James Gillies threatening death if she marries Murdoch or tells him of the threat.
- Scorpion: In "Young Hearts Spark Fire," Toby begins to declare his love for Happy, when he is interrupted by a fire extinguisher being sprayed in front of his face.
Toby: I want my last words to have some meaning, so Happy Quinn, I am in lo—
- The Inbetweeners. Simon tries for a big declaration of love with Carli at the winter prom in the series 1 finale. He Cannot Spit It Out, despite Jay setting everything up for him to go for it. Then Neil's attempts to kiss his unfortunate biology teacher takes the heat off Simon. By the time he looks back, Carli is off arguing with her boyfriend about his initial refusal to come to the prom. On the plus side, Simon's recurring Embarrassing Nickname of "Boner" has been passed onto Neil.
- About halfway through Tales of Legendia, Shirley finally gets up the nerve to tell Senel that she's in love with him. She gets as far as "I love" before Senel stops her. He rejects her advances outright because he still feels lingering attraction to Stella, Shirely's dead older sister. Heartbroken, Shirley runs off, deciding to become the Merines and bring about the end of the world. Even the other heroes can't believe how much of an ass Senel was to Shirley, whom he considered like his little sister.
- In Solatorobo, Red to Elh in one sidequest. She says she hasn't been able to feel happiness or love in years, but has finally begun to feel them again with him. He says he's got something he needs to say to her as well, but then the simulation ends and he loses his train of thought, though he remembers vividly that he was going to say something important. She decides she'll just be patient and wait until he can tell her himself. Of course, that was Merveille's plan all along.
- Skyborn: It seems as though Ryler has feelings for Alda back in their flashback. When he wants to tell her something, he is interrupted by the announcement that their final exams are starting. It is all very sad.
- In Spoony's review of DOA: Dead or Alive, Film Brain shows up unexpectedly and starts reviewing. This being after fan backlash about the Tekken review being a crossover with Film Brain, the fans show up and assault his house. Moments before a bomb hits, this happens:
Film Brain: *turns to camera* "Tell The Nostalgia Critic, I lo—" *explosion*
- Avatar: The Last Airbender: Toward the end of the second season, the Gaang splits up and Aang decides it's finally time to tell Katara how he feels. He manages to get the word "I" out before Sokka unwittingly jumps in and gives him a noogie.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:
- In "Secret Of My Excess", with Spike about to tell Rarity he has a crush on her while both are falling to their deaths... and Rarity herself interrupting him because she already knew.
- It happens again in "Hearts and Hooves Day", when Cheerilee looks like she's about to confess to Big Macintosh, but ends up telling him "You have something stuck in your teeth."
Sweetie Belle: Oh, come on!
- Happens in Danny Phantom when Danny is about to leave to fight Pariah Dark, and it's pretty much clear to everyone that he isn't going to be coming back. Sam is this close to finally telling him how she feels, but before she can get two words out the sky goes dark and it's too late.
- In Codename: Kids Next Door, Numbuh 4 has tried to tell Numbuh 3 he loves her several times, but is always interrupted.
- In Iron Man: Armored Adventures Pepper is clearly trying to confess her love to Tony in the last three episodes, mainly because they all think this last mission will most likely be a Suicide Mission. However because of all the chaos going on at the time she is constantly interrupted before she can get the full sentence out. Luckily unlike most, Tony seem to catch on to what she was trying to say and after they won he kisses her on the cheek and they hug.