Interrupted Declaration of Love
Alice has been in love with Bob but has been working up the courage to tell him. When she finally does, she manages to get out "I" before something cuts her off.
Unlike Cannot Spit It Out
or Aborted Declaration of Love
, this trope is when a declaration of love is cut off by something outside the character's control. Usually the audience will only hear the "I" while the "love you" is left unsaid. It might even be left unclear as to whether or not the statement even is a declaration of love at all.
The interruption might come from a Moment Killer
. In more serious instances, it might come from the character losing consciousness or dying
. If two characters have had a lot of UST
then this can be a good way for writers to taunt the fans.
In some cases, the interruptor—especially if it's the target of the declaration—may cut them off with a knowing look or a declaration of their own, making the declaration unnecessary. Such is usually mind-numbingly heartwarming
Anime & Manga
- Ranma ½: Ranma Saotome pretty much makes it his mission to interrupt and shoot down all of Ryoga's attempts to confess to Akane. For hilarity, Ranma is usually in drag, acting like a girl, and just being a Manipulative Bastard in general.
- In Cardcaptor Sakura this seems to be what is happening with between Touya and Yukito with Nakuru constantly butting into the conversation on purpose at the exact point that it seems that confession is about to take place seemingly as she fancies Touya herself. It's actually somewhat more complicated Touya is actually trying to confess that he knows Yukito isn't human... AND that he loves him and wants to sacrifice his own magic powers to save Yukito's/Yue's life, but Nakuru/Ruby Moon wants to steal Touya's power before he can do so.
- In To Love-Ru it's basically a Running Gag that something will happen whenever Rito or Haruna want to confess to each other. At least twice Haruna has been dragged off and replaced by someone else while Rito was trying to squeeze the words out. And they have been interrupted a couple more times. The first time it was Lala, which helped set everything up, although she did later realize he didn't mean her at the time. The second time Haruna was replaced by....most of his class
- In Fairy Tail, Simon, Erza's childhood friend, is nearly killed while doing his declaration of love to her. They only see each other 8 years later.
- Steins;Gate episode 22 has Kurisu charging back into the lab to tell Okabe she also loves him, but he's already hit the button to begin another time leap.
- In Shakugan no Shana, Shana wins a costume contest and is told to give a speech. She attempts to use this to declare her love for Yuji, but Pheles suddenly attacks the event with a tornado.
- Irresponsible Captain Tylor:
- Harumi breaks down in tears after Captain Tylor is taken away as a captive by her Raalgon superior, saying that he showed her the meaning of a human heart, but part of her speech is drowned by the shuttle's engines, so we don't know if she was making a Love Confession as well. We only see Yuriko's startled expression (she was giving Harumi a Cooldown Hug at the time, so was close enough to hear what was said).
- Empress Azalyn falls for Tylor, but her Love Confession is interrupted by an attempted assassination via bomb. Azalyn accompanies the comatose Tylor aboard his vessel as a prisoner in order to finish telling him, though the usual comic shenanigans continue to get in the way.
- This is Played for Laughs in Ah! My Goddess. Keiichi works up the nerve to finally confess his love to Belldandy. The moment was right, and the two were alone. Keiichi begins to speak the words... but then Skuld pops out of nowhere, right in front of Keiichi when he says "I love you." Keiichi is embarrassed that he said it to Skuld, and Skuld goes into a Heroic BSOD of sorts due to the shock that Keiichi confessed to her. Certainly it had to have been a mistake! Belldandy, however, knew that his words were directed at her, and was very happy to hear him confess his true feelings for her.
- In Attack on Titan, moments away from them being eaten by the same Titan who killed Eren's mother, Mikasa starts to confess her feelings to him and leans in to give him a Last Kiss, only for Eren to regain his fighting spirit and interrupt her.
- Hajime No Ippo: At first Ippo just Cannot Spit It Out, but during the Beach Episode, in a hotel room, at last he manages to say to Kumi, "I've always loved you!" Unfortunately he beats around the bush so much that Kumi has fallen asleep by the time he says it and she was a bit drunk too. So the declaration is "interrupted" by her not listening to it.
- In Empowered, Mind is interrupted when he declares his love to Sistah Spooky, who arrives precisely "three seconds too late" to save her from burning up in a descending space station.
- In My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (IDW) #7, Spike tries to tell he loves Rarity, but he stutters and is cut short by Nightmare Rarity, who coldly mocks him.
- In Runaways, Gert Yorkes dies in the middle of trying to tell Chase Stein that she loves him.
- In The Sarah Jane Adventures, Clyde is trapped on a spaceship running out of air. He records a video for his friends and, addressing Rani, says "I always...always..." before he loses consciousness.
- The Doctor and Rose in the Doctor Who episode "Doomsday". She manages to spit it out, but he gets interrupted. Ouch.
- On Zoey 101, this becomes somewhat of a Running Gag for Chase, who has been in love with his best friend Zoey since the day he met her. He tries valiantly several times to tell her how he feels, only to be interrupted—usually by the friends who keep telling him to reveal his feelings. Ironically, for all the times he tried to tell her on purpose, he ends up telling her completely by accident.
- Ross is constantly cut off through the first season when he finds the nerve to ask Rachel out. He never could find the right time because just as he wants to tell her, he's attacked by a cat that falls on him, or Rachel dates somebody else.
- In the second series, it was Rachel. She found out about Ross and realized she had feelings for him but couldn't do anything because he had started dating someone else.
- The Professionals. Bodie and Doyle are driving a New Old Flame of their boss George Cowley to the airport after she's survived an assassination attempt, and she begins to say, "Tell George I..." before being drowned out by a police siren. She doesn't repeat herself, and the two debate afterwards what they should tell Cowley. They decide not to mention the comment.
- A variation from The X-Files: Interrupted Invitation for a Date. Agent Pendrell has had a crush on Scully for some time. He met her at a bar on her birthday in "Tempus Fugit". He was really excited to see her and also clearly drunk, so he had the guts to ask her for a drink. Scully was with a soldier she was protecting but Pendrell didn't give up and bought drinks for himself, Scully and the soldier as well. Poor Pendrell got shot a moment later and he died off-screen in the next episode.
- In Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter, Charlotte is just about to tell her childhood friend Wilhelm that she loves him, as he is due to leave for the Russian front, but they are interrupted by a knock on the door from none other than the Gestapo.
- In Solatorobo, Red to Elh in one sidequest. She says she hasn't been able to feel happiness or love in years, but has finally begun to feel them again with him. He says he's got something he needs to say to her as well, but then the simulation ends and he loses his train of thought, though he remembers vividly that he was going to say something important. She decides she'll just be patient and wait until he can tell her himself. Of course, that was Merveille's plan all along.
- Skyborn: We can never be sure, but it seems as though Ryler has feelings for Alda back in their flashback. When he wants to tell her something, he is interrupted by the announcement that their final exams are starting. Ends up becoming a Tear Jerker.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender: Toward the end of the second season, the Gaang splits up and Aang decides it's finally time to tell Katara how he feels. He manages to get the word "I" out before Sokka unwittingly jumps in and gives him a noogie.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:
- In "Secret Of My Excess", with Spike about to tell Rarity he has a crush on her while both are falling to their deaths... and Rarity herself interrupting him because she already knew.
- It happens again in "Hearts and Hooves Day", with Cheerilee's "You have something stuck in your teeth" moment.
- Happens in Danny Phantom when Danny is about to leave to fight Pariah Dark, and it's pretty much clear to everyone that he isn't going to be coming back. Sam is this close to finally telling him how she feels, but before she can get two words out the sky goes dark and it's too late.
- In Codename: Kids Next Door, Numbuh 4 has tried to tell Numbuh 3 he loves her several times, but is always interrupted.