Anne Jacqueline Hathaway (born 1982) is an American actress. Tall, dark-haired, with an on-screen persona mixing naivete with determination, Hathaway is an eclectic actor with a nonetheless wholesome reputation
that has proven difficult to shake. She is best known for her breakout role in 2001's The Princess Diaries
, as an awkward teen who suddenly discovers she is royalty, and later in Ella Enchanted
After a string of wildly successful (family-friendly) film credits, Hathaway made a conscious decision to shift toward darker roles. Her starring role in Rachel Getting Married
is best emblematic of that phase, though those of the male persuasion would probably cite her performance in Havoc
, for which she earned critical acclaim. However, it was 2005's Brokeback Mountain
which officially put Hathaway on the map, and buried her squeaky-clean resumé for good. That following year, she got to act alongside her idol, Meryl Streep
, in The Devil Wears Prada
Despite her relative youth, Hathaway has been very busy indeed (recent press has described her as “one of the most sought-after actors in Hollywood”). At the start of 2011, she was cast as Selina Kyle—better known as Catwoman
—in Christopher Nolan
's third ''Batman'' film The Dark Knight Rises
. She then scored her childhood dream role of Fantine in Les Misérables (2012)
, which got her a virtual confetti shower of glowing reviews and won her a Golden Globe and an Oscar
for Best Supporting Actress.Not to be confused with
the wife of William Shakespeare
, after whom she is named.
- Author Appeal: As Film Brain pointed out, weddings seem to be one for her, seeing how she's been in three movies (The Princess Diaries 2, Rachel Getting Married, and Bride Wars) that have marriage as a central theme.
- Bifauxnen: To memetic degrees.◊
- Boyish Short Hair: As of 2014, she has kept the pixie haircut look since after having her hair cut short for Les Misérables (2012).
- Brainy Brunette
- Break the Cutie: Her characters after breaking away from her Contractual Purity are mostly subjected to this.
- The Cast Showoff: Page quote notwithstanding, Hathaway has sung in several of her projects.
- Celebrity Voice Actor: Hoodwinked, the English-language dub of The Cat Returns, Rio, Family Guy and The Simpsons (and taking home an Emmy for one of her performancesnote on the latter).
- Ms. Fanservice: See Love and Other Drugs, Havoc and Brokeback Mountain for examples.
- Name's the Same: Like the wife of William Shakespeare, after whom she is named.
- One of Us: If her Oprah interview is to be believed. She apparently was very enthusiastic about playing Catwoman. Her interview with Jon Stewart has her admit that she's a total Scrabble fanatic.
- Playing Against Type: In Rachel Getting Married.
- Shakespearian Actors: Her mom is a classical theater actress and she underwent classical training while growing up. She is named from William Shakespeare's wife, after all. Despite the classical training, the only known Shakesearian play she did was Twelfth Night in 2009.