"I have no aspirations of world domination through the pops charts. None at all."Anne Jacqueline Hathaway (born November 12, 1982) is an American actress. Tall, dark-haired, with an on-screen persona mixing naivete with determination, Hathaway is an eclectic actor with a nonetheless wholesome reputation that has proven difficult to shake. She is best known for her breakout role in 2001's The Princess Diaries, as an awkward teen who suddenly discovers she is royalty, and later in Ella Enchanted.After a string of wildly successful (family-friendly) film credits, Hathaway made a conscious decision to shift toward darker roles. Her starring role in Rachel Getting Married is best emblematic of that phase, though those of the male persuasion would probably cite her performance in Havoc, for which she earned critical acclaim. However, it was 2005's Brokeback Mountain which officially put Hathaway on the map, and buried her squeaky-clean resumé for good. That following year, she got to act alongside her idol, Meryl Streep, in The Devil Wears Prada.Despite her relative youth, Hathaway has been very busy indeed (recent press has described her as “one of the most sought-after actors in Hollywood”). At the start of 2011, she was cast as Selina Kyle—better known as Catwoman—in Christopher Nolan's third Batman film, The Dark Knight Rises. She then scored her childhood dream role of Fantine in Les Misérables (2012), which got her a virtual confetti shower of glowing reviews and won her a Golden Globe and an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.Not to be confused with the wife of William Shakespeare, after whom she is named.
— Anne Hathaway on the one field she hasn't conquered yet
- Mia Thermopolis in The Princess Diaries (2001), and its 2004 sequel.
- Jean Sabin in The Other Side Of Heaven (2001)
- Madeline Brey in Nicholas Nickleby (2001)
- Elle of Frell in Ella Enchanted (2004)
- Lureen in Brokeback Mountain (2005)
- Allison Lang in Havoc (2005)
- Red Puckett in Hoodwinked (2005)
- Andy Sachs in The Devil Wears Prada (2006)
- Agent 99 in Get Smart (2008)
- Kym in Rachel Getting Married (2008) [nominated for an Academy Award]
- Claire Summers in Passengers (2008)
- Emma Allen in Bride Wars (2009)
- The White Queen in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (2010) (2010)
- Maggie Murdock in Love and Other Drugs (2010)
- Emma Morley in The Film of the Book of One Day (2011)
- Selina Kyle/Catwoman in The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
- Fantine in Les Misérables (2012) (won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress)
- Amelia Brand in Interstellar (2014)
- Jules Ostin in The Intern (2015)
- Gloria in Colossal (2016/2017)
- Daphne Kluger in Ocean's Eight (2018)
- Author Appeal: As Film Brain pointed out, weddings seem to be one for her, seeing how she's been in three movies (The Princess Diaries 2, Rachel Getting Married, and Bride Wars) that have marriage as a central theme.
- Bifauxnen: To memetic degrees.◊
- Boyish Short Hair: In 2014, she has kept the pixie haircut look since after having her hair cut short for Les Misérables (2012) (and it carried over into Interstellar). However, she now sports a bob-ish type hairstyle.
- Brainy Brunette
- Break the Cutie: Her characters after breaking away from her Contractual Purity are mostly subjected to this.
- Ms. Fanservice: See Love and Other Drugs, Havoc and Brokeback Mountain for examples.
- Shakespearian Actors: Her mother is a classical theater actress and she herself underwent classical training while growing up. She is named from William Shakespeare's wife, after all. Despite the classical training, the only known Shakespearian play she did was Twelfth Night in 2009.