Literature: Notting Cove
Notting Cove is a web original series by Erase Alpha (Diana Mourão), about a Mundane Fantastic world.The main story is romantic shoujo-ai/femslash, focusing on the small town of Notting Cove, where forest fairies live. The main character is Devin, a 20-something who works as a waitress and has irresistible urges to help people. One day she finds a fairy in the woods, Saga, a mountain fairy that seems to have run away from home. Eventually, they get romantically involved and Saga moves in with Devin.This series currently includes a six chapter story, two one shots and an ongoing side story:
- Fairies of Notting Cove: The original story, six chapters posted along a week, about the start of Devin and Saga's romance.
- Pet Cat: A short fluff oneshot about Saga wanting to adopt a cat.
- March Flowers: A oneshot about Devin and her past with Kennedy.
- A Villain's Song: An ongoing story about what happened to Kennedy after she fled Notting Cove.
- Devin: A 24 year-old forest fairy that works as a waitress. She has a tendency to snark and frown but is also unable to refuse helping people.
- Saga: A somewhat mysterious 21-year old mountain fairy who Devin finds in the woods, hurt. She's sweet and quiet, but knows how to fight. She's obnoxiously curious. Has a cat named Connor.
- Kennedy: Devin's ex-fiancee, a cold hearted thug who physically abused Devin while they were together.
This series provides examples of:
- All There in the Manual: Subverted. There was an extra chapter with some info, but it was released alongside Chapter 6 of Fairies of Notting Cove. It was mostly meaningless but if you'd skip it, you'd miss the detail about The Cook and Flannan being married.
- Cute Bruiser: Saga turns out to be quite the fighter
- Dumb Blonde: Aiofe, apparently.
- Framing Device: Calliope, the only muse left after all the others quit.
- Has Two Mommies: As a result of One-Gender Race
- Mundane Fantastic: The story is about fairies, centaurs are mentioned, and there's magic. Saga is the only one surprised.
- Odd Name Out: Subtle. All the forest fairies have Irish names, while Saga's is from norse mythology.
- One-Gender Race: The fairies. Commented in story when Aoife says she thought mountain fairies were guys.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: The Cook of course.
- Purple Prose: The start of the first chapter of Fairies of Notting Cove. Lampshaded by Calliope.
- Those Two Girls: Aiofe and Darina, who only get two lines each and appear exactly once, together.
- To a lesser extent, The Cook and Flannan, though they appear much more often and get referenced in an oneshot.