Fanfic / Lucky Star After Story
Lucky Star: After Story
is the third and final part of a 3-story Konata and Kagami story arc, after two earlier fanfics The Day Everything Changed
and Holiday Vacation
, and was written by Mr. Fanfic Guy
. The first chapter was uploaded on November 14, 2011 and the most recent chapter (Chapter 31) was uploaded on February 29, 2016, after a nearly three year hiatus.
The story starts in February of 2010
, 2 years after the girls graduate from Ryouou High School. The synopsis of the story is that the 4 main characters have been separated (Konata and Kagami now attend Kyoto University, while Tsukasa and Miyuki now attend the University of Tokyo), however one event will set forward a chain reaction that will bring them closer together than ever before.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- A Day in the Limelight: Mariko and Chiyoko got their own flashback arc which took place during Chapters 23 through 25. At the end of Chapter 30, it was confirmed that Ayaka and Nanami will get their own arc later on.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Hiroko could count as this to Tomoyo, if Chapter 22 is any indication.
- Babies Ever After: One of the rare non-ending examples. Konata gave birth to Kanata in Chapter 20. And Chapter 28 confirmed that another baby is on the way, and an author note at the end of one chapter mentioned that a future arc will involve Tsukasa and Miyuki adopt a child, rather than go through the ordeal of artificial insemination and pregnancy.
- Berserk Button: DO NOT hit a woman within sight of Hachiro, especially if one of the women you've hit happens to be his wife. Tadao and Sojiro learned this the hard way, and it resulted with him slamming their heads together.
- Unless you want to get punched in the face, you'd better not make fun of Chiyoko in front of Mariko.
- The opposite is also true. It's never a good idea to insult Mariko when Chiyoko is nearby.
- As learned in Chapter 25, Katsuhiko and Fumihiko will not hesitate to tackle you to the ground if you put their girlfriends in danger.
- In Chapter 28: Never, EVER, call Mikoto a "fucking bitch" or tell her to "go fuck herself". Especially if you've already been harassing her friends or classmates.
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: The hypnosis scenes during the honeymoons of Konata and Kagami, and later Yutaka and Minami. Subverted in the former case in that the scene was brought up at the beginning of the next chapter.
- Big "SHUT UP!": Hachiro does this to Tadao and Sojiro to stop their arguing in Chapter 2.
- Birthday Chapter: In the second half of Chapter 26, Yutaka celebrates her 21st birthday. It is also the day Minami proposes to her.
- Christmas Chapter: Three so far, in Chapters 9-10, Chapter 22, and Chapter 27.
- Driven to Suicide: Just barely averted with Konata and Kagami during Chapter 2. They were hit hard by the actions of their respective fathers, and were about to jump off the bridge. Thankfully for everyone involved, Hachiro managed to talk them out of it.
- Five Girl Band Concert: In Chapter 19, the band Red Roses and Blue Violets (organized by 5 of the original characters) perform "Castle in the Sky" at a Halloween party concert. As for the members, Ayaka is the bassist, Nanami is the lead guitarist, Mariko is the drummer, Chiyoko is the lead singer and the keyboard player, and Tomoyo is the other lead singer and is the percussion player.
- In Chapter 27, Hiroko joined as the saxophone player
- And in Chapter 28, it's revealed Mikoto joined as a backing singer and a percussion player.
- Genki Girl: Ayaka and Mariko are the biggest examples throughout the story.
- Has Two Mommies: As of Chapter 20, Konata and Kagami have a daughter named Kanata.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Mariko and Chiyoko, for certain. Both of them have boyfriends, but they still spend most, if not nearly all, of their time together.
- Huge Schoolgirl / Statuesque Stunner: Standing at 174 centimeters tall (almost 5'9") and being the tallest of the female characters, Tomoyo certainly qualifies as this.
- In Memoriam: Chapter 29 was dedicated in memory of those killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. Chapter 30 was dedicated to the people who lost their lives as well as the people who were injured in both the Boston Marathon explosion and the Texas Fertilizer explosion.
- Keet: Tatsuya and Katsuhiko both fit this trope quite well, especially the latter.
- Name's the Same: Subverted. Although the After Story subtitle quickly calls to mind Visual Novel/Clannad, and a few characters share their names with CLANNAD characters (such as Tomoyo and Furukawa), this story is MUCH happier, and to top it all off, Konata survives giving birth, unlike Nagisa, (well, the first time through before the light orbs were brought into play).
- Noodle Incident: How Hiroko and Mikoto got injured as stated at the end of Chapter 31. All we know is that it involved a big red button.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: The first part of Chapter 2 runs on this, as Tadao and Sojiro (usually the Only Sane Man and the Bumbling Dad respectively) are fighting with each other over their daughters marrying, and Hachiro (depicted in the first two fanfics as a Nice Guy) finally snaps at them and loses it.
- Official Couples: Konata and Kagami, Tsukasa and Miyuki, and Yutaka and Minami.
- Original Character: No less than 14 original recurring characters all together. They rarely play a major part of the plot though.
- Of course from the previous two fanfics we have Ayaka and Nanami (who were both introduced in The Day Everything Changed) and Mariko and Chiyoko (who were both introduced in Holiday Vacation) all returning for this fanfic.
- In Chapter 17, Tomoyo Yoshida was introduced.
- In Chapter 21, Hiroko Yoshida (Tomoyo's little sister) was introduced.
- The first male supporting characters in the story, Katsuhiko Takahashi and Fumihiko Takemoto (Mariko and Chiyoko's respective boyfriends), were both introduced at the end of Chapter 23.
- Around the start of Chapter 26, Mikoto Furukawa is introduced.
- And in Chapter 27, the five remaining male supporting characters, Tatsuya Nakagawa (Ayaka's boyrfriend), Noriyuki Fukushima (Nanami's boyfriend), Kazuya Yamada (Tomoyo's boyfriend), Atsushi Ishidate (Hiroko's boyfriend), and Nobuaki Kawanami (Mikoto's boyfriend), were all introduced.
- And most recently in Chapter 30, Heather Johnson, Judith Thompson, and Rachel Anderson, three American girls, were introduced.
- Papa Wolf: Arguably Hachiro, to Konata and Kagami, at least in Chapter 2, despite not being related to them in any way.
- Reality Ensues: The illegality of same-sex marriages in Japan is brought up in Chapter 2. Konata and Kagami are wed in Japan thanks to some string-pulling, while Tsukasa and Miyuki exploit a loophole and get married in New York, while Yutaka and Minami marry in Connecticut, since Japan recognizes same-sex marriages if they take place where it's legal (both states recognized same-sex marriage in the time the story is set in; the United States would eventually legalize same-sex marriage in all states in July 2015).
- In Chapter 29, Yutaka and Minami are assaulted by a homophobic man after he sees them kissing while on honeymoon in Rhode Island. One of the bystanders who defend the pair compare him to a member of the Westboro Baptist Church, a group infamous for their slogan "God Hates Fags" and for disgusting even the Ku Klux Klan.
- Mariko and Chiyoko sustained injuries during the Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami on March 11, 2011, when their school collapsed. Several friends of theirs were outright killed in the disaster.
- While on honeymoon in NYC, Tsukasa and Miyuki visit the 9/11 Memorial on its opening day, and solemnly remember the Japanese citizens who were killed in the attacks.
- Ruptured Appendix: In the first half of Chapter 26, Yutaka ends up getting appendicitis during her and Minami's senior year of college.
- Schedule Slip: The chapters as of late have been coming out further and further apart. One of the reasons is that they are getting longer and longer. (Chapter 30 was 5,386 words, compared to as little as 1,500 words for Chapter 4)
- Screaming Birth: Somewhat subverted when Konata gave birth during Chapter 20. She mostly managed to say calm for most of the ordeal, only screaming a few times. She did end up crying a bit from the pain though.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Katsuhiko and Fumihiko, as well as Tatsuya and Noriyuki to a smaller extent. Tatsuya and Katsuhiko are the manly men, while Noriyuki and Fumihiko are the sensitive guys.
- Sick Chapter: Two so far.
- In the first part of Chapter 24: Chiyoko comes down with a pretty nasty cold/flu virus, which coincidentally Yutaka also came down with in Holiday Vacation.
- And in the first half of Chapter 26: Yutaka develops appendicitis, which ends up requiring surgery.
- Tareme Eyes: Ayaka, Nanami, and Hiroko all sport this eyestyle.
- Tears of Remorse: Mikoto sheds more than a few of these in Chapter 28 after she lets it slip that Yutaka and Minami are engaged.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Mariko and Chiyoko, with Mariko being the tomboy and Chiyoko being the girly girl. Ayaka and Namami also qualify as this, Ayaka being more tomboyish and Nanami being more girly.
- Token Mini-Moe: With a height of only 136 centimeters (just under 4'6"), Chiyoko easily qualifies as this, at least among the main supporting characters.
- True Companions: Mariko and Chiyoko qualify to some extent. After all, they've been best friends ever since the day they started kindergarten.
- Tsurime Eyes: Mariko, Chiyoko, Tomoyo and Mikoto all sport this eyestyle.
- Vocal Tag Team: Chiyoko and Tomoyo are the two lead singers for Red Roses and Blue Violets.
- Wedding Day: This fanfic has three of them.
- In Chapter 2: Konata and Kagami get married on June 12, 2010.
- In Chapter 13: Tsukasa and Miyuki get married on September 10, 2011.
- In Chapter 28: Yutaka and Minami get married on July 20, 2013.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Hiyori, Patricia, Misao, and Ayano are suspiciously absent from all three weddings, though Patricia's absence can be hand-waved by saying she returned to America, and Misao's absence was probably out of protest for Konata "stealing" Kagami from her. As for Hiyori, she may very well still be drawing Yutaka/Minami manga, and Ayano's absence can't possibly be rationalized, though she may have had plans with Misao's brother on all three occassions, or got coerced by Misao into not going.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Hachiro gave a brutal one of these to Tadao and Sojiro in Chapter 2. You see, the two had been fighting with each other, both verbally and physically, ever since the day that Konata and Kagami got engaged. They had also threatened to disown their daughters if they went through with the wedding. That was just too much for him to take, especially because of a memory in which two of his college friends who were also gay jumped off a bridge and committed suicide, which he brought up after he saw Konata and Kagami standing on the very same bridge, and contemplating suicide.