You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry
You might still like him, but you're screwed anyway.
A Super Trope
for when you just don't want to tick off a character. Bad things will happen, which can include:
It doesn't matter if the character is the hero, villain, supporting character, or bystander. Just don't piss off this character if you don't want big trouble.
can sometimes involve this. Related to Emotional Powers
Compare Madness Tropes
and Don't Make Me Destroy You
Anime and Manga
- Dragon Ball Z—
- Son Gohan. Any Saiyan for that matter, but Gohan most.
- Piccolo too.
- Chichi. She makes the Saiyan squirm, and she's just a human...with a pan.
- Shizuo Heiwajima from Durarara!!. Granted, it's generally in good form not to piss off people with Super Strength in general, but this one is especially easy to set off.
- Shinigami in Soul Eater, and his son Kid on a smaller scale. Yes, other characters cause greater damage than usual when angered, but these two spread it around more, whether to pyramids or an entire city.
- Naruto can give even the Trope Namer himself a run for his money in this department in his kyuubi forms.
- Natsu of Fairy Tail is an example of this, as the flame of emotion that is the source of power for his Dragon Slayer magic causes him to actually become stronger the angrier he gets.
- Yuuri from Kyo Kara Maoh is as nice as they come. However if you start hurting innocent people or those close to him...
- Luffy, from One Piece, is usually a happy-go-lucky type of guy, but if you so much as dare to hurt any of those he cares for, you better have your testament ready.
- Setsuna, from Mahou Sensei Negima!, is a quiet and polite girl who prefers to stay in the background. Usually, she's really calm and composed even in the heat of battle. But don't, just don't you dare harming Konoka unless you want her to butcher you in split-seconds.
- Three words to be feared by ANYONE who endangers her little boy: Evangelion Unit 01.
- In Bleach, people would rather take on Yamamoto's bankai than piss off Captain Unohana. Considering her usual kind personality, it's mostly played for laughs. As it turns out, she's completely psychotic and the worst criminal in the history of Soul Society. Yeah, that's not a good idea.
- In A Hard Day's Knight, John and Suzie use their own variant to intimidate an uncooperative laundromat employee:
Shotgun Suzie: You really want me to get cranky?
John Taylor: You wouldn't like her when she's cranky.
- In Legacy of the Force, Luke gives Jacen a quote almost identical.
- Trope Namer is The Incredible Hulk TV series, and its classic implied threat, delivered with a wonderfully understated and grim bemusement. And it's actually said before he becomes the Hulk.
Banner: Mr. McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.
- In Smallville, you really, really don't want to make Davis Bloome angry. If you actually hurt Chloe in front of him, Have a Nice Death.
- It's been said in later episodes of Torchwood that it's best not to piss Jack off. Take into mind this line from the Children of Earth miniseries (spoken by his daughter to the government spooks who just arrested her and her son):
Alice: I can only assume you're using us as hostages against my father - but if you've done anything to anger him, then God help you.
- Doctor Who—
- You really don't want to piss off the Doctor. That seemingly harmless oddball can tear the heavens apart and reshape reality if he really wants to. There's a reason the Daleks, a race of Omnicidal Maniacs capable of wiping out all life in the universe, hate and fear him so much. They have no emotions, and they invented a name to call him; Destroyer of Worlds and The Oncoming Storm.
- Ditto River Song. Sarcastic, teasing, likes to banter. And - can make a Dalek beg for mercy. Just... don't make her go there.
- Similarly, in the prequel to "A Good Man Goes to War":
"...I even hear rumours about whose child you've taken. Are you mad? [Pause] You know the stories about the Doctor? The things that man has done? God help us if you've made him angry!"
(from the actual episode)
"If that man has started calling in his debts, then God help you... and God help his debtors."
- Surprisingly enough, Rory Williams. Kidnap one of his loved ones? Prepare to have the Last Centurion blow up your star-fleet.
- It is also best to not piss Jack from 24 off.
- Also, pissing off Spock from Star Trek: The Original Series would be more than illogical. It's very hard to do, but once you manage it, This Is Gonna Suck doesn't cover your fate.
- On a related note, Data (without the emotional chip) is literally impossible to piss off. However, if you threaten him with harming his friends, you'll face a superintelligent, super-strong, nigh-indestructible android who has decided that removing you from existence is the completely logical solution under the current circumstances.
- Inverted rather amusingly in Angel when a woman offers to "make him happy". Angel responds that "You won't like me when I'm happy", as the last time he made love he turned into the evil Angelus.