Western Animation: Escape From Planet Earth
Escape From Planet Earth
is a 2013 animated movie from Rainmaker Entertainment
; starring the voices of Rob Corddry, Brendan Fraser
, Sarah Jessica Parker
, Jessica Alba
, Jane Lynch, Craig Robinson, William Shatner
, George Lopez and Sofia Vergara.
Alien astronaut Scorch Supernova (Brendan Fraser), beloved hero to the people of the planet Baab, and brother of Gary (Rob Corddry) - head of the BASA mission control - is sent on a rescue mission by BASA chief Lena (Jessica Alba) to the "Dark Planet" (Earth), but Gary has to step up when Scorch is captured by the evil Area 51
commander Shanker (William Shatner).
- Absolute Xenophobe: Shanker.
- Action Girl: Gary's wife Kira, who mentions that she was a test pilot for many years.
- Action Mom: Kira Supernova.
- Aerith and Bob: Kira and Gary.
- All Planets Are Earthlike: Planet Baab, at least.
- Aliens Speaking English: Oh so much. Every single species we meet speaks English (including some of the food in the cafeteria), and there's no mention of any kind of Universal Translator technology.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Scorch to Gary.
- Arch-Enemy: The Gnarlachs are this to the people of Planet Baab.
- The Atoner: The reason why the Grays worked for Shanker, they felt bad for squishing his dad.
- Awesome McCoolname: Scorch Supernova.
- Badass: Scorch
- Badass Bookworm: Gary
- Badass Family: The Supernovas are this.
- Berserk Button: Well what do you know, a red & yellow alien named after one of Jupiter's moons from the sun. Isn't it weird...er.......why is it flexin' its muscles?
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Shanker and Lena
- Big Brother Instinct: Scorch (although it turns out he's Gary's younger brother).
- Big Little Brother: Scorch to Gary.
- Big "NO!": Scorch when he thinks the "alien" he was trying to rescue on Earth died.
- A Boy And His Dog Alien: Kip is close to the Supernova's family pet, who's name was not revealed.
- Brains and Brawn: Gary and Scorch
- Bratty Half-Pint: Averted with Kip.
- Catch Phrase: Scorch's "Scorch me, baby!" when he's about to attack.
- Chekhov's Skill/Chekhov's Gun: Kip is good at flying a remote-controlled model of Scorch's ship, Gary demonstrates that the real ship can be piloted by remote control from BASA Mission Control. Then the real ship's controls go dead at a crucial moment while Kip is hiding in Mission Control...
- There's also the blast tape.
- Chick Magnet: Implied with Scorch when Gabby (his girlfriend) warned other women to stay from him on live TV.
- Cool Uncle: Scorch to Kip.
- Deadpan Snarker: Mission Control AI Mr. James Bing, voiced by real life Deadpan Snarker Ricky Gervais. Gary also has his share of snark, after putting up with Scorch's crap for so long.
- Disney Villain Death: Averted, as Shanker falls after Scorch's suit explodes, but the Greys catch him, along with Gary and Scorch.
- Don't Explain the Joke:
Io: Keep it down, I'm trying to get some shut eye!
Gary: Ahh, I get it, because you have one eye...
- The Dreaded: The "Dark Planet" aka Planet Earth.
- Dumb Muscle: Scorch, the arrogant muscle bound heroic twit.
- E.T. Gave Us Wi-Fi: Shanker makes the aliens he captures invent stuff that he takes credit for. Thurman invented the touchscreen, Io search engines, and Doc social networks.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Guess what Io is named after.
- Guess what Thurman resembles.
- Guess what Shanker captures.
- Doc, well...
- Five-Man Band
- Foodfight!: Gary and Scorch accidentally food fight after having a heated argument.
- For the Evulz: Lena apparently.
Computer: This villain thing is not you. It's the aging, the stress.
Lena: Shut up!
- Four-Fingered Hands: Again, the people of Planet Baab.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: All the names on the floor 46 minutes into the film.note
- Foreshadowing: A lot of emphasis is put on Gary's timing in telling his brother when to shoot his grappling hook in the opening sequence. It turns out Scorch can't use it effectively at all without Gary's help, and it ultimately causes him to be captured.
- Freudian Excuse: Shanker wants to exterminate all aliens in the Universe because the Greys killed his father in a flying-saucer crash.
- Gentle Giant: Downplayed with Scorch since he's not exactly a guy without faults, but they don't outweigh his good parts.
- Genre Blind: The other aliens think that the villain will keep his word in sending them back home.
- Genre Savvy: As opposed to the above, Gary knows that Shanker has devious plans for the laser ray. So not only does he only pretend to fix it, he uses it to set off a Rube Goldberg Device trap to later free himself and his brother from the freeze chamber.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar
Gary: What are you going to do to him?
Grey: We can't tell you.
Second Grey: It would give you nightmares.
Shanker: I've got one more little surprise for you.
Gary: Hey, don't ask, don't tell, buddy.
- The Greys: One of the alien races detained at Area 51, and Shanker's right-hand men.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Io.
- Happily Married: Kira and Gary have a loving and deep relationship, and occasionally trade jokes with each other. And it looks like Scorch and Gabby are heading this way after the marry in the end.
- Hartman Hips: Every female alien from Planet Baab.
- Heel Realization: Scorch's decision to fire his brother bites him hard when he realizes, in the middle of the mission no less, that he really does need Gary's help.
- Heroic Build: With all of his jerkass tendencies, Scorch's heroism matches his impressive build.
- Io my have her anger issues, but her huge build corresponds with how much she's a good guy.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Scorch and Gary appear to finally become this at the ending. Especially since Gary is the Best Man at Scorch and Gabby's wedding.
- Hot Scoop: Gabby Babblerbrook, Scorch's girlfriend and later wife.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Scorch is the Huge Guy and his girlfriend and later wife, Gabby Babblerbrook is the Tiny Girl.
- Informed Attractiveness: Gary's wife Kira. Other aliens even comment on it. "How'd you manage that?"
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Scorch can be quite arrogant, loud and obnoxious, especially to his brother, Gary. He's also the Cool Uncle to Kip, brave, loves his girlfriend dearly, and actually admits to Gary that he always wanted to be like him. Have a great wife and a great kid.
- Kid-Appeal Character: Kip.
- Kid Hero: Kip really helps out in the climax and he's only about 8 or 9 years old.
- Lightning Bruiser: Io.
- Little Big Brother: Gary.
- Manly Man and Sensitive Guy: Scorch is the Manly Man to Gary's Sensitive Guy.
- Mission Control: Gary's job and he's really good at it when his musclehead brother does what he is told. The first mission in which Gary doesn't participate is the one where Scorch gets captured.
- Momma's Boy: Lampshaded by Scorch to Gary.
- My God, What Have I Done?: When Shanker threatens to break off with Lena, she's realized she's being used. But she may have just been acting, and apparently is still going with the plan of galactic domination without Shanker.
- Nice Hat: The hat that Kip wore when he was watching his uncle on his mission.
- Not the Fall That Kills You: Justified, If telekinetic aliens can catch them, they can also keep them from being squashed by the impact.
- Pint-Sized Kid: Kip reaches around the adults' waist area.
- Pointy Ears: The residents of Planet Baab have these.
- Powered Armor: Scorch's mission suit (later worn by Shanker).
- Product Placement: Much of the film is an ad for 7-Eleven.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: "For the last time, we... come... in... PEACE!!"
- Rage Quit: Gary does this immediately after Scorch fires him.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Scorch is the Red Oni to Gary's Blue Oni.
- Rube Goldberg Device: Gary uses a pretty ingenious one to cause the laser ray to malfunction. It required the villain to unintentionally set it off himself no less.
- Shout-Out: Earth is described as being a "Class M" planet.
- Sibling Rivalry: Scorch and Gary.
- Stepford Snarker: Implied with Gary; snarking seem to be his defense mechanism against his brother's constant disrespect and arrogance.
- Take That: One of the aliens is responsible for Earth's computer animation (including Pixar).
- Tempting Fate: Gary sarcastically comments he hopes Scorch get stranded when he goes to the "Dark Planet". Scorch ends up captured and stranded.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Gary and Kira.
- "Well Done, Dad" Guy: Gary desperately wants his only son, Kip, to look up to him and is heartbroken on how Kip wants to be just like his brother (Kip's uncle). Until Kip tells his father in the end that he wants to be just like him.
- Youthful Freckles: All of the people of Planet Baab have freckles on their face.