Escape From Planet Earth
is a 2013 animated movie starring the voices of Rob Corddry, Brendan Fraser
, Sarah Jessica Parker
, Jessica Alba
, Jane Lynch, Craig Robinson, William Shatner
, George Lopez and Sofia Vergara.
Alien astronaut Scorch Supernova (Brendan Fraser), beloved hero to the people of the planet Baab, and brother of Gary (Rob Corddry) - head of the BASA mission control - is sent on a rescue mission by BASA chief Lena (Jessica Alba) to the "Dark Planet" (Earth), but Gary has to step up when Scorch is captured by the evil Area 51
commander Shanker (William Shatner).
- Absolute Xenophobe: Shanker.
- Action Mom: Kira Supernova
- All Planets Are Earthlike: Planet Baab, at least.
- Action Girl: Gary's wife Kira, who mentions that she was a test pilot for many years.
- Aliens Speaking English: Oh so much. Every single species we meet speaks English (including some of the food in the cafeteria), and there's no mention of any kind of Universal Translator technology.
- The Atoner: The reason why the Grays worked for Shanker, they felt bad for squishing his dad.
- Awesome McCoolname: Scorch Supernova.
- Badass: Scorch
- Berserk Button: Well what do you know, a red & yellow alien named after one of Jupiter's moons from the sun. Isn't it weird...er.......why is it flexin' its muscles?
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Shanker and Lena
- Catch Phrase: Scorch's "Scorch me, baby!" when he's about to attack.
- Chekhov's Skill/Chekhov's Gun: Kip is good at flying a remote-controlled model of Scorch's ship, Gary demonstrates that the real ship can be piloted by remote control from BASA Mission Control. Then the real ship's controls go dead at a crucial moment while Kip is hiding in Mission Control...
- There's also the blast tape.
- Deadpan Snarker: Mission Control AI Mr. James Bing, voiced by real life Deadpan Snarker Ricky Gervais. Gary also has his share of snark, after putting up with Scorch's crap for so long.
- Disney Villain Death: Averted, as Shanker falls after Scorch's suit explodes, but the Greys catch him, along with Gary and Scorch.
- Don't Explain the Joke:
Io: Keep it down, I'm trying to get some shut eye!
Gary: Ahh, I get it, because you have one eye...
- Dumb Muscle: Scorch, the arrogant muscle bound heroic twit.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Guess what Io is named after.
- Guess what Thurman resembles.
- Guess what Shanker captures.
- Doc, well...
- Getting Crap Past the Radar
Gary: What are you going to do to him?
Grey: We can't tell you.
Second Grey: It would give you nightmares.
Shanker: I've got one more little surprise for you.
Gary: Hey, don't ask, don't tell, buddy.
- The Greys: One of the alien races detained at Area 51, and Shanker's right-hand men.
- Informed Attractiveness: Gary's wife Kira. Other aliens even comment on it. "How'd you manage that?"
- Lightning Bruiser: Io.
- Mission Control: Gary's job and he's really good at it when his musclehead brother does what he is told.
- Powered Armor: Scorch's mission suit (later worn by Shanker).
- Product Placement: Much of the film is an ad for 7-Eleven.
- Shout Out: Earth is described as being a "Class M" planet.
- Sibling Rivalry: Scorch and Gary.