Abomination Accusation Attack
Accusing someone of being some kind of monstrous predator
- sexual or otherwise - can be a really efficient weapon. It can make people hate the accusee, maybe even get him to hate himself
. Or, simply use it as a particularly nasty Chewbacca Defense
to shut him up.
Don't bother to do a Frameup
: False evidence can be disproved, false testimony can be questioned. Instead, just go for the lower instinct, make people so afraid that they dare not disregard the accusation. What if it's true; we can't really take that risk, can we? After all, there's no smoke without fire, so let's just bring out the Torches and Pitchforks
and start the big Paedohunt
or whatever. This can be done against individuals as well as groups. Supertrope of All Gays Are Pedophiles
and Slut Shaming
. When an AAA is honest, it's often caused by Aggressive Categorism
or Black and White Insanity
. Don't be surprised if these people resort to Activist Fundamentalist Antics
Please note that false accusations of actual rape
or child sexual abuse is Frameup
rather than this trope. Same goes for non-sexual examples, such as accusing someone of ''eating'' children
in a literal non-metaphorical way: It's this trope if the accusation is that he will
eat your children, or has eaten children in general. If it's trying to pin the disappearance of the local missing kid on him, then it's Frameup
instead. Of course, honest & sane accusations have nothing at all to do with this trope: Just like Frameup
, it's entirely about the malicious kind.
Compare Godwin's Law
for similar accusations of being a Nazi
, and Hitler Ate Sugar
for a method often used in both kinds of accusations. If used consistently, this trope becomes a form of Demonization
Anime and Manga
- In the first issue of Lucifer, a young woman gets angry with the protagonist when he doesn't stop her from touching some wet paint, explaining only afterwards that it's actually blood. In retaliation, she threaten to call the cops and claim that he's a pedophile who has kidnapped her.
- Spider Man is constantly a victim of this because of the Daily Bugle, which (because of Jonah Jameson) constantly accuses him of being a criminal despite everything he does to protect New York.
- In a Red Skelton movie The Yellow Cab Man he is fooled into thinking that carnival barker/huckster Walter Slezak is a psychiatrist. When he spots Slezak making his spiel he slowwwwwly begins to put it together. Before Skelton can say anything Slezak points at him and yells "Arrest that man. He insulted the American flag." Cops immediately grab Skelton and drag him off as he protests that he never did that.
- The Wizard features a trio of children who basically run away from home so that one of them can join a video game tournament on the other side of the country. They're chased by a truant officer with shades of bounty hunter. When he finally corners them, the girl of the trio shouts out "HE TOUCHED MY BREAST!" It's Played for Laughs, but then the Fridge Horror hits for what this will probably do to the man for the rest of his life, just for doing his job and unintentionally looking a little creepy while doing it.
- While he does get roughed up by a group of bystanders, a random accusation with no follow-up doesn't stand up in a court of law. We see him later on, alive and free (albeit with a black eye).
- Played for laughs in Lost And Found, when a bratty kid decides to get revenge on the Jerkass man who pushed in front of him on the way to the bathroom. The man comes out of the restroom to find the cops waiting for him and the boy naming him as his attacker.
- In Doctrine of Labyrinths, Thaddeus does this a lot, whether he's arguing that gay men are too sex-obsessed to think straight, that a refugee belongs to a "particularly pernicious cult" (it's actually pretty benign), or that all refugees from an oppressive regime should be assumed to be spies-in-waiting (when, in fact, he is himself a former refugee from said oppressive regime). Unfortunately, dissuading him is pretty much impossible, since he sincerely believes all of it, despite the fact that pretty much everyone else thinks he's cuckoo.
- In City of Glass, Sebastian/Jonathan Morgenstern openly denounces Alec Lightwood for his homosexuality, which the latter feels very insecure about because it is strongly frowned upon in Shadowhunter society. This is more than a little hypocritical on Sebastian/Jonathan's part however, seeing as how he himself has Brother-Sister Incest desire for Clary.
- Of Mice and Men: Crooks gets fed up with Curley's wife coming into his sleeping quarters and threatens to complain to Curley about it. Unfazed, she snaps, "You know what I could do to you if you opened your mouth? You know what I could do?", all but stating that she'll accuse of him of rape/attempted rape/or even merely looking at her and get him lynched. Cowed, Crooks shuts up.
- In the Diagnosis: Murder episode "An Education in Murder" when Mark Sloan confronts the killer in the high school hallway and accidentally rips the sleeve off her shirt she threatens to report him for sexual assault if he doesn't drop the investigation.
- One activist who got an essay published in a Swedish newspaper argued the point that all white men who are in relationships with Asian women are actually pedophiles. Because Asians are smaller then western women, or something like that. The author was, of course, a male Asian. And he later got arrested for stalking and arson against his (white) Swedish ex-girlfriend. Classy.
- In Exiern, Tiffany despises Theresa, among other things because Theresa is happy with having been magically turned into a woman. In one very public argument, with the population of Theresa's home city as audience, Tiffany talks as if it was a fact and common knowledge that Theresa is a Pedophile Priest child-molester. Of course, this smear has no basis other than Tiffany's own malice - and she eventually realizes what a bitch she has been.
- Single Asian Female (written by a single Asian male) spreads the message that if a white man shows interest in an adult Asian woman, it means he's actually a pedophile.
- Not Always Right has one episode with a woman going totally overboard with this trope as she visits the movies and decides that she owns the place and has the right to deny random strangers the seats they have bought, all in the name of Think of the Children! - accusing two random young women of being potential child molesters and thus disqualified from being treated with basic human respect.
- At least one IRC chat channel, probably many, used to have as its policy to publish a little message to everyone in the channel every time a banned person tried to enter the channel and get auto-kicked: a message explaining that the user is a pedophile and that such people are not welcome here - and this procedure applied to everyone, no matter why they were banned. People could get banned for things such as being AFK when an admin wanted to chat, and would invariably be casually branded "pedophile" for it.
- Zinnia Jones used this trope for satire in the episode Conservative Christians Are Rapists And Pedophiles.
- When suffering through an intervention to find out why she hates The Little Mermaid, The Nostalgia Chick at one point ends up pointing a finger at her friends and calling them "Disney zealots".
- When Madoka starts to ask questions about the whole Magical Girl schtick in Meduka Meguca, Mami's response is to accuse her of smoking, with Sayaka going along with it for whatever the reason. By Episode 3, they've ramped it up to accusing her of doing hard drugs like heroin and meth.
- In Monkey Dust, the Paedofinder General is universally feared for his ability to call anyone a paedophile (and then get the randomly accused person killed.) For example, he kills the fiddler in Fiddler on the Roof for fiddling on the roof, implying that it must be an euphemism for paedophilia.
- In Beauty and the Beast, Gaston doesn't believe that the Beast even exists. When Belle proves him wrong, he changes his position to accusing him of eating children - never mind that the Beast has been around for a long time and the only person who had been missing was Belle herself! Or that the villagers believed Gaston over Belle despite that Gaston was proven wrong immediately beforehand.
- Blood libel is the term for the practice of accusing social, ethnic, or religious groups of ritualistic crimes such as cannibalism, human sacrifice, or the poisoning of wells.
- When someone is accused of being a pedo, s/he'll stay a pariah, even if s/he's acquitted.
- As mentioned, the subtrope All Gays Are Pedophiles, which is, despite being repeatedly disproved, still seriously professed by some anti-gay activists.
- Slut Shaming runs on this - in societies where women who have sex for any purpose other than procreation/with anyone but their straight male husband are looked down upon, the accusation/implication that they are having sex for enjoyment/outside of marriage/with women/with multiple partners is a vicious form of it.
- During the 2003 Ontario general elections, then-encumbent premier Ernie Eves's campaign referred to his opponent Dalton McGuinty as an "evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet". This backfired epically as was easy to predict, but the phrase itself went memetical.