The Only Righteous Index of Fanatics
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
This is the one true index! All other indexes are heretics!
We are not fanatics, oh no, we are simply righteous!
Sadly, this index also contain a lot of heresy, and heresy of the worst kind: The fanatics, those who believe their lies just as strongly as we believe in the truth. And since they are the majority here, we grudgingly accept the title "index of fanatics". Also, our hands are tied: We cannot say which one of the tropes listed below is the one and only true path that expose all the others as lies. Why? Because that's the only way we could all agree on this text, that's why!
What the one and only thing we care about is
Who we are
- Animal Wrongs Group: Animal rights are more important than animal health and safety (including protecting other animals from disease or predation), than protecting human life and safety!
- Apocalypse Cult: The end is here and we're going to bring it to you!
- Black Shirt: The Big Bad knows better than you and we will do whatever it takes to help him seize power!
- Breeding Cult: We want to create the master race!
- Can't Argue with Elves: We are the superior race! Accept this truth!
- Dirty Communists: You aristocrats and bourgeoisie are Always Chaotic Evil! It is Stockholm syndrome at best not to hate you!
- Dry Crusader: Alcohol and Drugs Are Bad! Even if banning them leads to worse becoming available, and even if there are legitimate medical uses!
- Fantasy-Forbidding Father: My child is going to be a part of the family business instead of becoming something meaningless.
- General Ripper: GIVE ME WAR!!! Kill 'em All! Nuke 'em! YEEEHAWWWW!
- Heteronormative Crusader: Sex Is Evil and we want to protect people from engaging in any disgusting activities like that.
- He Who Fights Monsters: When you spend too much time fighting fanatics or evil people, you can often become one.
- Holier Than Thou: There's no need for explaining this. We are purer than you!
- Hollywood Atheist: There is no god, and you must join me in my unbelief which is equivalent to belief!
- The Hunter: I will find you if you are what I seek, and I will kill you.
- Knight Templar: I'm fighting for what's right! Don't give me that Gray and Gray Morality and subjectivism! There is right and wrong and I am on the side of right!
- Lawful Stupid: Uhh... it's the law/the way things have always been... right? I'm just going to let the others here tell me what to do. Duh.
- Mad Bomber: The voices in my head tell me FIRE FIRE BOMB BOMB KILL KILL KABOOM Heh, heh, HAAHAHAHAHAHA!
- Media Watchdog: Was that a nipple I just saw on American broadcast TV? Does that...that statue David have... a PENIS?
- Moral Guardians: We must ban this filth on the media.
- Moral Sociopathy: Who cares about your problems? We care about doing what we believe is right and just!
- A Nazi by Any Other Name: Crush the lesser races!
- Omnicidal Maniac: I'll Kill You! Kill 'em All KILLKILLKILLKILLKILLKILL
- Powder Keg Crowd: We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore!
- Rightly Self-Righteous: We're entitled to look down on you lowly beings because we genuinely are right (like there was any doubt).
- Right Wing Militia Fanatic: We'll stop the New World Order! You are ALL part of the New World Order, and we have guns!
- Smug Straight Edge: We don't drink, we don't smoke, we don't do drugs, we eat right, we work out, and/or we don't have improper sex. We also mock you for doing the opposite of what we're doing.
- Soul Saving Crusader: Everyone is going to hell unless I can win them to my belief system!
- Straight Edge Evil: We don't drink, we don't smoke, we don't do drugs, we eat right, we work out, and/or we don't have improper sex. We also don't mind killing you if you do any of the above or if you somehow make us angry.
- Straw Feminist: All Men Are Perverts, All Men Are Rapists! Men are the cause of all evils in the world! Let's create a perfect world without men!
- Straw Misogynist: Women should Stay in the Kitchen and/or are only good for making sons. The ones that don't subscribe to this are sluts/whores/bitches/skanks that need to be raped and killed just like they deserve!
- Straw Vegetarian: What do you mean a blood transplant? Blood isn't vegan!
- Strawman Political: My party right or wrong, my party is pure and bound to its most extreme doctrine, the only one allowed to exist!
- Tautological Templar: Everything we do is righteous! Because we can't do wrong, period!
- Terrorists Without a Cause: Because the cause is making you afraid.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: The end justifies the means.
- Windmill Crusader: No one else can see why this is so important but I can!
- The Witch Hunter: Oh, you're not a member of the dominant monotheistic religion? You are but don't practice it the way I do? DIE!
How we go about our business
- Abomination Accusation Attack: combined with Ad Hominem below, because why debate the issue when you can smear?
- Accentuate the Negative: There can be nothing good about our opponents or their goals. Feeding starving children? Helping little old ladies across the street? There has to be a bad reason or bad motive.
- Acceptable Targets: It's okay to ridicule and scorn people of different demographics because they all deserve it!
- Accomplice by Inaction: The criminal can wait. We are inclined to chop the heads off of those who did nothing to stop the criminals.
- Activist Fundamentalist Antics: Repent, you foul sinner!
- Ad Hominem: Combined with Abomination Accusation Attack above and/or Demonization and Everyone Is Satan in Hell below, a good way to make people hate our opponents.
- Aggressive Categorism: You MUST be a stereotype.
- Aggressive Negotiations: Negotiations? Peace talks? Let's just kill everyone who shows up.
- All Crimes Are Equal: It doesn't matter how evil the crime is, it must be punished within the same degree.
- All Issues Are Political Issues: Because once we're in power, we can make every wrong right!
- All of the Other Reindeer: We antagonize a certain person or persons because they are different from us.
- Ambition Is Evil: People who wish to live to better standards than those they are born in are evil social climbers with no morals!
- Appeal to Fear: Be afraid of what will happen if we aren't in control/of those people we don't like/of us and what we can do to you.
- Appeal to Force: Obey or else.
- Appeal to Nature: Anything that is natural is good, and anything that is not is evil.
- Appeal To Novelty: If we're left-wing or the Bomb Throwing Anarchist, we say the old ways must be destroyed by any means available, and the old structures must die because they're evil!
- Appeal To Ridicule: Your arguments are not well-thought and it is ultimately worthy of being scorned and mocked.
- Appeal To Tradition: If we're right-wing we say modern thought and novelty is destroying society, and that only in traditional values and the past can we find security and truth.
- Appeal To Worse Problems: Children are starving in Africa and you're here telling me about your petty, First World misfortunes?!
- Argument of Contradictions: THE LOUDER WE SCREAM THE RIGHTER WE ARE!
- Argumentum Ad Nauseam: We repeat the same things over and over again until people give up arguing with us.
- Asshole Victim: We will generally start with these to raise our appeal to more of society. After all, who wants to defend an animal abuser or a rapist?
- At Least I Admit It: Sure, we may have done very terrible things (which are for the greater good, by the way), but that doesn't make us any worse than a hypocrite!
- Authority Equals Asskicking: How we make use of the Appeal to Fear and Appeal to Force. If even challenging us is a Curb-Stomp Battle, you might be less inclined to disagree.
- Babies Make Everything Better: Having a baby is the only way to solve every couples' problems, and if anyone doesn't have one, then woe unto them.
- Because I Said So: We don't need to explain to you ignoramuses why it's right/wrong. Just accept the fact that it is!
- Big Brother Is Watching: If we gain enough institutional power to invoke this, we will. Anything from a camera or a minder on you, to constant monitoring of all behavior.
- Black and White Insanity: There are no shades of gray, no exculpatory or mitigating circumstances, no differences. The guy who stole a $1 candy bar is just as evil if not more so than the one who stole $100,000,000 from old people's pensions.
- Blackmail: We will often use this to humiliate someone or make them bow to our demands, never mind that it's also one of the most effective weapons against us.
- Blatant Lies: When Will Not Tell a Lie is not in effect, this often is. And the bigger and more outrageous the lie, the more unrelenting the BS onslaught, the better.
- Blue and Orange Morality: We cannot grasp your morality just like you can't grasp ours. It's still more valid and reasonable than your morality, though.
- Blind Obedience: We will do whatever our leaders say. We will not question, we will not debate, and we will never say Screw This, I'm Outta Here!.
- Brutal Honesty: We tell the truth that hurts everyone's feelings than to tell lies that pleases them. Never sugarcoat the truth!
- Burn the Witch!: You evil, non-scientific, non-peer-reviewed vagina-haver! All these potions and remedies you make are for poisoning people and casting spells! DIE!
- Bury Your Gays: Or "just" Cure Your Gays and reeducate the ones who aren't cured!
- Can't Take Criticism: How DARE you call us "fanatics?" We are the purest, truest expression of what we believe and you are in no place to criticize us!
- Category Traitor: How DARE you join a group that you shouldn't be a part of! Aren't you ashamed?!
- Children Are a Waste: Our society is better off without bratty, spoiled, stupid, and useless children. How dare anyone make babies!
- The Complainer Is Always Wrong: Thinking for yourself is wrong! You will go along with us righteous people whether you like it or not!
- Condescending Compassion: We feel sorry for morally inferior people. They've failed to accept the reality of true righteousness.
- Day of the Jackboot: The glorious day on which we take over!
- Defiled Forever: Your hymen has been breached before getting married? Then off to the whorehouse you go, you disgraceful skank! It's this or the convent, but we won't tolerate you blemishing the family's honour.
- Demonization: Accusing what you're against of being evil, or in some cases, literally having demons.
- Deadly Euphemism: Because, you know, saying stuff like "kill" and "Final Solution" and "lesser race" could make it hard for us to call Nazi on people without having it turned back on us!
- Digital Piracy Is Evil: Downloading videos, music, etc. is of the devil and anyone who does this deserves to be punished!
- Disproportionate Retribution: We have the right to hand out extreme punishments for the tiniest offense!
- Divorce Requires Death: How dare you womenfolk wish to leave your men? Or alternately, how dare you men wish to leave your wives?
- Double Standard: We have respective standards that one gender must adhere to, although the other doesn't have to.
- Drugs Are Bad: You dare take one little smoke of that cigarette and your morality is thrown out of the window!
- Easy Road to Hell: Don't do that small bad deed or you're going to hell!
- Enemies Equals Greatness: What defines us as the only righteous people is the antagonism from many lowly pathetic people who know we're better than them.
- Entitled to Have You: If you're a good person, you are obligated to sleep with him/her. No exceptions.
- Everyone Is Satan in Hell: Twisting the Words and often engaging in an Ass Pull to "prove" evil exists somewhere.
- False Dichotomy: Choose one or the other, there are no other options.
- False Flag Operation: Activist Fundamentalist Antics taken Up to Eleven, where we pose as one of a group we dislike to do anything from turning society against them to starting a shooting war between them and us, via anything from slighting us to crossing the Moral Event Horizon.
- Family Values Villain: Populate right-wing fanatical movements to play on the people actually concerned with their families and "doing what's right."
- Feeling Oppressed by Their Existence: Your existence is an anomaly. DISAPPEAR!
- Felony Misdemeanor: It doesn't matter if what you're doing doesn't seem like it's evil, you're still a horrible person.
- For Your Own Good: We are doing these cruel and horrible things to you because we care about you!
- Godwin's Law: If you oppose our cause you're a Nazi! Even if we're the ones calling for racial and moral "purity" and you're the one we're trying to kill.
- Guilt By Association Gag: Punishing one who has transgressed against a law isn't enough. Anyone who is associates with them are just as bad as him and they will be punished too!
- Honor Before Reason: Reason would suggest talking this out. Honor mandates I blow your brains out.
- Honor-Related Abuse: You do things that are not of what's right. You deserve to be physically abused by us.
- Hypocrisy: Because none of us can really be expected to live up to our own standards, now can we?
- Jerkass Has a Point: Admit the fact that we are right despite us being a bunch of certified assholes.
- Jerk Justifications: We have justified reasons in being mean and insensitive! Don't like it? Deal with it!
- Loaded Words: If we're on the right wing, expect a lot of God, Country, Morals, Tradition and words to those effects. If we're left wing or Bomb-Throwing Anarchists expect a lot of the environment, oppression, class warfare, and "Bleep the system!"
- Loners Are Freaks: Humans are social animals, and introverts and loners are threats to society or just people who live meaningless lives. People who prefer to be alone over making friends are in denial and that they desperately need The Power of Friendship to slap some sense into them!
- Ludd Was Right: Our right wing and a few of our most extreme left wing (generally the Animal Wrongs Group and the environmentally-themed Bomb-Throwing Anarchists) strongly dislike technology and modern society.
- Make an Example of Them: What better way to get people to follow our standards than to punish one person for doing the opposite?
- Mandatory Motherhood: Babies Make Everything Better and how dare those selfish women say they don't want to procreate! Don't they care about creating a life as well as contributing to society? That goes for the men, too!
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: Men should be discouraged from embracing their virginity and have sex whether they want to or not!
- Misanthrope Supreme: Humans are the most scummiest beings ever made. We all loathe them to the point of beginning their unpleasant demise, despite that we're humans ourselves.
- Misplaced Nationalism: Because our country is the best, and anyone who as much as questions it on the internet must be destroyed!
- Misplaced Retribution: Character X has wronged us! Something must be done! That's it! We must punish character Y since they may be associated with character X!
- Moral Myopia: Whenever we do something that may seem heinous, it's perfectly justified. However, if you the same things we do, you're evil!
- Neutrality Backlash: You deserve to get what's coming to you because you've refused to choose a side.
- Never Live It Down: We will never forget nor forgive the thing that you have done.
- Never My Fault: Whatever happens, it will always be your fault no matter what, not mine!
- New Media Are Evil: This technology that you're enjoying is the work of the devil. Get rid of it or else!
- No Sympathy For Grudgeholders: How dare you not forgive that immoral bastard for making your life a living hell, even if he will continue doing that!
- N-Word Privileges: How dare you call us an inappropriate slur, you intolerant bastard! Only we're allowed to say that inappropriate slur to each other!
- Off the Table: We will not give out offers that people have previously rejected. It's their fault for not accepting it when they had the chance.
- Old Media Are Evil: You dare to enjoy previous technology?! Shame on you!
- Omniscient Morality License: Our deity may have done some cruel and horrifying things in the world, but it's always for a good reason!
- Ordered Apology: You've wronged us by flaunting your immoral behavior! APOLOGIZE! And it better be a sincere one even if you really aren't sorry!
- Opinion Myopia: Who cares about your opinions when you should care about ours?
- Opinion Override: How dare they offend a group that I am not a part of!
- Pædo Hunt: Some of us will use FOR THE CHILDREN as our rallying cry, branding everyone from LGBT people to photographers as pedophiles and decrying even age-appropriate sexuality and abuse reporting information as "sexualizing children."
- Pay Evil unto Evil: An eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth! Doing evil things to evil people is righteous!
- People's Republic of Tyranny: People are idiots who can't be trusted to make a good decision. Let them believe they're free, forcing our agenda will just work better that way!
- Prayer of Malice: We pray to our deity that people like you suffer in life.
- Pretext for War: So, that place we want to wage war against has done nothing to us? We will find something, and if we can't we will make it ourselves.
- Public Execution: What better way to kill a person than to do it with society watching?
- Punished for Sympathy: How dare you show pity and kindness to the enemy! You must be punished!
- Rationalizing The Overkill: We are completely aware that our punishments on those who do wrong may be extreme, but they are perfectly justified nevertheless!
- Restart The World: This world sucks. Let's just burn it all down and start over!
- The Revolution Will Not Be Civilized: You oppressed us for so long; it's obvious your tribe/race/religion/class are Always Chaotic Evil and in desperate need of total eradication!
- Serious Business: We take everything in the world very seriously and those who don't will face our wrath!
- Sex Is Evil: How dare you have sex with any purpose but to procreate! It's not just not our taste, it's disgusting and evil and unclean!
- Sex Is Evil and I Am Horny: But if you provoke us with your lustiness, then you will satisfy our libido, it shall be your punishment for being a slut!
- Sins of Our Fathers: It's right to punish children for the shortcomings of their ancestors.
- Slippery Slope Fallacy: We will accuse our opponents of this even if we are ourselves Jumping Off the Slippery Slope. See hypocrisy and You Are What You Hate.
- Slobs Versus Snobs: If we are the snobs, we think you disgusting filthy poors should just get a job, pull yourselves up by the bootstraps, and until then enjoy a limited and painful existence as your just punishment for not being born a snob. If we are the slobs, we think Aristocrats Are Evil and all rich people are Always Chaotic Evil and/or the Corrupt Corporate Executive planning to Take Over the World, and that any sign of appreciating or enjoying wealth marks you as an out of touch Upper-Class Twit who wants the poor to suffer and die.
- Slut Shaming: You had sex?! Shame on you, you whore! You deserve to die!
- Stay in the Kitchen: Women should not do any of these manly activities!
- Suicide Is Shameful: People who kill themselves or are thinking about killing themselves because life has been terrible to them are nothing but a bunch of selfish cowards who deserve to rot in hell! And, no, don't you dare say that suicide is not worse than murder, because it is!
- There Should Be a Law: Anything you do that we don't like is not only immoral, but also should be illegal.
- Think of the Children!: We must erase this because children are watching this!
- Thoughtcrime: The truth of our stand is obvious to anyone mentally competent. Therefore, those who deny it must be stupid or driven by malice!
- Torches and Pitchforks: We must repel the evil from our midst!
- Twisting the Words: Because anything anyone says can be made into something else entirely.
- Utopia Justifies the Means: What makes a better world? Making people suffer for their own good.
- Victim Blaming: If horrible things happen to you, just understand that you must have done something to rightfully deserve it. With that, you get No Sympathy from us!
- Wants a Prize for Basic Decency: We don't kill, steal, rape, or do drugs. Reward us NOW!
- Wet Blanket Wife: We don't care what awesome feat or heroic battle our Love Interest needs to do! They need to think about the consequences of their actions and how it makes us feel!
- When I Was Your Age: We show great displeasure for the modern generation having it easy with all of their technology and recreational activities. Why can't they understand the standards we uphold and the hardships we've endured? We liked them better that way!
- Why Did You Make Me Hit You?: It's your own fault for making me abuse you!
- Would Be Rude to Say "Genocide": Killing millions of people is purely good! After all, they are all wicked and deserved to die!
- Will Not Tell a Lie: Ever. No matter who gets hurt.
- Witch Hunt: If you are in the minority, especially regarding religion, we will hunt you down!
- With Us or Against Us: The "middle side" is the same as the evil side. Therefore, if you are not for us, then you are evil!
- You Are What You Hate: Many of us are exactly what we wish to not exist, whether in being the mirror image of our political opponents, our own race or sexuality not being "perfect" according to our rules, or similar. See Hypocrite above.
- Your Terrorists Are Our Freedom Fighters: It doesn't matter how many bad things the freedom fighters have done, they are fighting for freedom. It doesn't matter the cause of the terrorists, they are causing terror.
Kinds and flavors of works we are extra likely to write or appear in
Adding tropes to this index:
Do not include any trait that a fanatic can have, only traits that are intrinsic to how he is fanatic or is the only thing the fanatic cares about. Examples of traits that are common among fanatics but shouldn't be included anyway is The Fettered
, For Happiness
and For Great Justice
. Also please note that far from everyone who fit a "who" or "how" trope is a fanatic. Having those tropes listed here means that fanatics usually fit these tropes, but in the other direction it merely means that characters who fit these tropes at least somewhat often are fanatics. Knight in Sour Armor
and The Fettered
are both borderline cases. The former barely makes the list, the latter barely stays out.