"Rules of the Internet" is a loose collection of rules and aphorisms
spawned by the infamous
4chan Image Board
. Depending on who you ask, they are either not meant to be taken seriously or very Serious Business
. Most of them don't apply except for within the community they originated from, and the list is continuously changing but through Memetic Mutation
a handful have become well known.
Some of the more notable rulesnote
- Rule 1: You don't talk about /b/.
- Rule 2: You DON'T talk about /b/.
- Rule 3: We are Anonymous
- Rule 4: We are legion.
- Rule 5: We do not forgive, we do not forget.
- Rule 6: There is no rule 6.
- Rule 7: No matter how much you love debating, keep in mind that no one on the internet debates. Instead they mock your intelligence as well as your parents
- Rule ⑨: There is a Touhou version of it. No exceptions.
- Rule 10: If the character exists, there's someone role-playing as that character on Youtube. No exceptions.
- Rule 12: Anything you say can and will be used against you.
- Rule 13: Anything you say can and will be turned into something else. - fixed!
- Rule 14: Do not argue with trolls - it means they win.
- Rule 15: The harder you try, the harder you will fail.
- Rule 16: If you fail in epic proportions, it may just become a winning failure.
- Rule 19: The more you hate it, the stronger it gets.
- Rule 20: Nothing is to be taken seriously. EXCEPT RULE 71!
- Rule 29: On the internet, all girls are men, and all kids are undercover FBI agents.
- Rule 30: There Are NO Girls On The Internet
- Rule 32: Any line can be interpreted with a sexual connotation. No exceptions.
- Rule 34: If it exists, there is porn of it. No exceptions.
- Rule 35: If no porn is found of it, it will be made.
- Rule 36: No matter what it is, it is somebody's fetish. No exceptions.
- Rule 42: Always bring your towel. No exceptions.
- Rule 43: The more beautiful and pure a thing is - the more satisfying it is to corrupt it.
- Rule 47: !???
- Rule 48: Profit
- Rule 51: No matter how fucked up what you've just seen is, there is always worse.
- Rule 50: A Cross Over, even improbable ones, will eventually happen in Fan Art, Fan Fiction, or official release material. No exceptions!
- Rule 61: Chuck Norris is the exception to Rule 63, no exceptions or else.
- Rule 62: It has been cracked and pirated. No exceptions.
- Rule 63: For every given male character, there is a female version of that character (and vice-versa). Including Chuck Norris. Rule 61 is lying to you. And there is always porn of that character. No Exceptions.
- Rule 64: If it exists, Tony Stark can make it in a CAVE. With a BOX of SCRAPS.
- Rule 71: The internet is SERIOUS FUCKING BUSINESS.
- Rule 72: Darth Vader is your father. No exceptions.
- Rule 75: Rule 75 is a lie. OH SHI-
- Rule 77: The internet makes you stupid.
- Rule 78: There is a Wiki of it. No exceptions.
- Rule 85: If it exists, there is a pony of it. No exceptions.
- Rule 88: If it exists, there is a Furry version of it.
- Rule 103: For every song, there is a Vocaloid version of it.
- Rule 104: If there is not a Vocaloid version of it, there will be. No exceptions.
- Rule 105: Rule 71 is SERIOUS FUCKING BUSINESS.
- Rule 123: 456789.
- Rule 177: Tropicana tastes like rainbow. No exceptions.
- Rule 169? Nah, I'd rather have 2 69s.
- Rule 190: The only good hentai is yuri, that's how the internet works. Only exception may be Vanilla.
- Rule 269: Yeah, finally...2 69s!
- Rule 284: What has been seen cannot be unseen. Even the post clearance that's coming up.
- Rule 647: Keldeo is a pony.
- Rule 9001: It's over 9000!!! No exceptions.
Tropes associated with the Rules of the Internet:
- Complete Monster: Rule 3 says this about Anonymous.
- Crossover: Rules 50 and ⑨ (which is sufficiently enforced for Touhou to get its own page of these) Also, as much as some of us might hate it, 85. Indeed, rules 85 and ⑨ have intersected (with there being ponies of the actual Touhou characters). More recently, there have also been humanized ponies drawn in Touhou-styled outfits, or ponies cosplaying as Touhou characters.
- Epic Fail: Rule 16
- Four is Death: Rule 4
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Rule 9001 is "It's over 9000!!! No exceptions."
- Homage: Rules 1 and 2.
- Hypocritical Humor: Rule a and Rule b. Also, Rule i.
- l33t l1ng0: Rule 0.96
- Memetic Mutation: Everywhere
- Mouthful of Pi: Rule 3.14159265358979323846
- Rule 34: Trope Namer, along with Rule 63
- Screw the Rules, I Make Them!: Rule 9
- Shaped Like Itself: Rule 9001
- Shout Out: Many rules of the internet are references, e.g. Rule 42 or rules particular to certain communities that may be localised memes.
- Sparse List Of Rules: Rule 34 was written first, and even now there are a number of gaps of varying size.
- Streisand Effect: The idea behind Rule 19. The more you want something to not happen, the more likely it will happen just to piss you off.