"Hello, Internet. Welcome to Game Theory."
is a comedy web series created by Matthew Patrick, where he engages in Wild Mass Guessing
by analyzing video games to provide answers on a wide variety of questions, from scientifically determining if something in a video game could be achieved in real life (example: could someone survive being headshot a la Fallout: New Vegas
?) to tackling some of gaming's biggest questions (example: what is the Pyro's
gender?) to some game changing accusations. (example: should Dr. Light
be considered a villain?) The show is accompanied by pictures and diagrams, which often aid with what he is saying, or they are just there for visual puns. There are a lot of puns.
On rare occasions, MatPat himself goes on camera to test the episode's topic in real life, although it happens less frequently currently.
Game Theory is a part of the Game Theorists, a group of game-based shows that analyze video games for a certain reason. See Game Exchange and Digressing And Sidequesting. Not to be confused with the fanfic of the same name.
Tropes found in Game Theory:
- Alternative Character Interpretation: Pretty much everyone. For example, Princess Peach is actually paying Bowser to kidnap her.
- There's also a two-part episode describing Mario as animal abuser, misogynist, sadist and mass murderer.
- Armor Is Useless: In Minecraft episode, diamond armor turns out be Awesome, but Impractical. Sure, it looks awesome, but it would weigh about 1100 lbs (over 500 kilograms)... and because of the fact that it would be very easy to cut the armor by slicing it along 90–degree planes relative to the surface of the armor, due to the diamond's cleavages (that all crystals also have) making it easier to slice through the hard armor, you would risk wasting a few billion dollars when hit with a sword.
- Ass Shove: The line "Let's diagnose" in the AVGN episode is accompanied by a picture of the host giving the Nerd a prostate exam.
- Boom, Headshot: There's a scientific look into how the Courier survived their headshot.
- Butt Monkey: Ronnie, of the Digressing and Sidequesting, is frequently mocked in Game Theory videos and end slates.
- Cannot Tell a Joke: Happens in the "Surviving the Assasin's Creed Leap of Faith" Episode after disproving its chance of survival.
MatPat: Leap of faith? Hah! They wish they had the chance! More like tumble of... fatigue. I don't know, I can't come up with any good punchlines this week.
- Dead All Along: The center of the Link is Dead episode.
- Rosalina Unmasked suggests this of Princess Peach as well.
- Drunk on Milk: Well, more like "addicted to milk", in the Candy Crush Saga episode he claims to have an addiction to Coca-Cola.
- Early Installment Weirdness: MatPat says outright that the show was inspired by Extra Credits, and before he found his own voice, artifacts of that style can be seen in the presentation.
- Fake Boobs: I kid you not, there is an entire episode about which video game characters have fake breasts and which ones have natural breasts.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: MatPat actually apologizes for saying the word "poop" in one episode.
- Hostile Show Takeover: PeanutButterGamer interrupts episode about Majora's Mask. MatPat blames YouTube glitch.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: If you saw the thumbnail for the second part of the Rosalina Unmasked theory before watching the first, then Princess Peach being Dead All Along won't come as much of a surprise to you.
- Messianic Archetype: Discussed in Chrono Trigger episode, where MatPat claims that the whole game is actually a retelling of the Bible.
- Mood Whiplash: the Five Nights at Freddy's episode.
- Path of Inspiration : One episode was dedicated to examining the religon themed antagonists from the Final Fantasy games.
- Reality Ensues: The focus of some episodes is to determine if some concepts, like a flying city, diamond armor, or the Morph Ball are actually feasible.
- The Reveal: Rosalina isn't Peach and Mario's daughter, but Peach and Luigi's.
- Running Gag: MatPat is really fond of them.
- Ever since the episode where it was the main topic, MatPat has frequently used his claim that "Wario is 10 feet tall" to highlight inaccuracies in his videos, and also for general Self-Deprecation.
- He frequently expresses his goal of beating PewDiePie in subscribers.
- Rule of Sexy: Mentions the controversy about Smite and it's original character model for Kali (and other characters) being overly sexualised to draw the attention of males.
- Justified in that most mythological art of female goddesses are practically half-naked. Kali's already been showing her boobs since BC times, so Smite isn't really giving us anything we couldn't have seen after a quick search on the internet.
- Self-Deprecation: This gem from "Problems with Princess Peach" episode:
MatPat: Hello Internet, welcome to Game Theory, hailed by critics as "Fast edits with mildly impressive Photoshopping".
- Ronnie while talking during Digressing and Sidequesting has a Greek Chorus calling out most of the flaws in what he says.
- Shout-Out: In the "What gender is the Pyro?" video, MatPat, after "ending" the video about halfway through, says that his end-cards are long, but he's no Yuriofwind.
- Shown Their Work: MatPat puts a lot of research into his episodes.
- Signing Off Catchphrase: "It's just a theory: ''A Game Theory! Thanks for watching."
"That is the world of Watch_Dogs. That is our world. And that isn't a theory: it's a fact."
- Take That: The AVGN episode has one towards The Irate Gamer.
- This Is Gonna Suck: From the beginning of "Is Link dead in Majora's Mask" episode:
MatPat: Wheel of Gaming, turn, turn, turn, tell me the fanbase I should burn...
MatPat: Oh geez...
- Visual Pun: Multiple ones per episode.
But hey, it's just a theory, a Game Theory! Thanks for watching.