open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- Maya Matsumoto from WORKING!! has a deep obsession to be a normal person. She often claims she is the only normal worker of the restaurant and her workmates are a bunch of freaks.
- Darren Jones from Doom Patrol is a man completely obsessed with eliminating all strangeness and peculiarity in the world and considers himself the poster for normalcy. Jones did not realize that he was among the bizarre himself, possessing strange tools and abilities one of these were the Delirium Box. To accomplish his ends, he formed the fake Men from N.O.W.H.E.R.E. as his personal agents of death. Their first act was an attempt to kill Danny the Street, but they were defeated with help from the Doom Patrol defeating both him and the fake Men from N.O.W.H.E.R.E. Danny took revenge by dressing Jones in drag right before his boss would see him.
Film - Live-Action
- In Christmas with the Kranks, when Luther and Nora Krank decide to skip celebrating Christmas in favor of going on a cruise. The entire neighborhood stalks, harasses and pickets the two over it, judging them every chance they get and even posting it in the local newspaper, especially over the neighborhood's custom Frosty the Snowman figure. It is not until the Kranks decide to put their decorations up to celebrate their daughter returning from the Peace Corps that the neighbors start acting civil towards them.
- In Hot Fuzz anything and everything (and everyone) that is a threat to Stanford's normalcy and its chance of winning the annual "Village Of The Year" award (graffiti, street performing, living on a camper, atrocious spelling (and crappy reporting), annoying laughter (and equally crappy acting) and a very loud sense of architectural fashion to provide some examples) is swiftly and unequivocally killed by the Neighborhood Watch.
- The Dursleys from Harry Potter strive to be normal and to fit in with their community. Because of this, they hate and abuse their nephew Harry Potter for his magical heritage. The Dursleys are partly a case of Sour Grapes: Petunia's resentment comes from never getting over that she didn't get to go to Hogwarts like her sister, while Vernon had issues with the fact that the Potters were independently wealthy (and James inadvertently rubbing it in his face).
- Darrin from Bewitched insists that Samantha hide her magic powers, not because of any moral objections to witchcraft or any fear of her being persecuted, but solely because he is obsessed with being "normal".
- In the song "Subdivisions" by Rush, you got "In the high school halls, In the shopping malls, Conform or be cast out."
- Norman and Normina Normanmeyer from the 1992 The Addams Family cartoon strive to be as normal as possible. Because of this, they despise their abnormal neighbors the Addams for this very reason. They expect the same from their more open-minded son, N.J. Ironically, some would say that the Normanmeyers are the most abnormal characters on their show due to their obsession with underwear, Norman being the CEO of a large underwear manufacturing corporation.