Let's say Bob is really cranky for some reason or another. Maybe someone's ruining his life and eating all his steak
and it's really getting to him. If he just grumbled and steamed about it, we would be able to just conclude that Bob is in a bad mood. However, Bob has just done something nasty to someone else. Maybe he's yelled at his best friend Alice, or else he's smacked Charlie in the face. In extreme cases, he killed Kenny
. Whatever Bob has done, his bad mood was a factor in it and he uses it as an excuse for his actions.
Also often connected with a Bad Boss
or Troubled Abuser
, whose first instinct towards a bad mood is usually to lash it out on someone below them. Almost always linked to either Disproportionate Retribution
or Misplaced Retribution
- The series of misunderstandings issued towards Dave in Anger Management are revealed to have all been an act, except for the Air Marshall that tazered him on the airplane, who was just in a bad mood from his seating choice.
- Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes sometimes uses this attitude.
: Boy, I'm in a bad mood today! Everyone had better steer clear of me! I hate everybody!
As far as I'm concerned, everyone on the planet can just drop dead. People are scum. (Beat) WELL-L-L-L? Doesn't anyone want to cheer me up?
- Played with in a WWE arc, where Vince Mac Mahon becomes obsessively critical of Smackdown manager Theodore Long. Later on he claims he wanted to apologize since this was largely due to becoming frustrated by his own professional problems...until he decided he hated Long anyway so continued getting on his back.
- Used in excess with heel characters. Whenever they are having a losing streak, a plan has failed, or they're just feeling a little under the weather, expect them to administer a nasty verbal or physical onslaught on some other wrestler, starting a long time feud. It isn't rare for some heels to suddenly insist on completely destroying the lives of another simply because they were at the same place that their snit fit was provoked and thus vaguely connected to their misery. After all Evil Is Petty.
- One gets the impression from the message programed into the robotic dummy of President Vinzer Deling in Final Fantasy VIII that the real Deling makes use of this a lot, given how convincing the dummy is.
Deling Dummy: I'm in a bad mood right now! If there is nothing in particular, I order you to leave immediately!
- Larxene in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories to Naminé when she begs her to leave off attacking Sora and company.
I should tell you that I'm in an EXTREMELY foul mood. Thanks to you, all our plans are ruined!
- The LeBrons episode "Misunderstood" has Kid in this mood because nobody understands him at all after he lost his basketball game. His attitude is especially directed at his friends Condor, Erik and Li. Word of God says this is based on LeBron James' attitude after he missed his game.
- Something Positive: At one point Mike's girlfriend treats him him like dirt during a period of wild Mood Swings (semi-justified in that she's pregnant, but other characters call her out on it).