is a children's show about the adventures of Theodore Tugboat and his friends George, Emily, Foduck, and Hank. The Harbourmaster (played by Denny Doherty of The Mamas And The Papas
) introduces the stories.
It was produced by Robert Cardona, co-producer of TUGS
, making this a Spiritual Successor
of said show. Both are centered on the harbour activities of a fleet of tugboats who wear hats. Unlike TUGS, which was set in The Roaring Twenties
and were essentially models mounted on trolleys pulled by fishing line, the setting of Theodore
is much more modern and the characters are radio-controlled.
This show provides examples of:
- Achilles in His Tent: Two occasions. Once with Hank and once with Guysborough the Garbage Barge.
- An Aesop
- Canada, Eh?: The show takes place in Halifax, Nova Scotia, with many characters named after places around Halifax Harbour, Nova Scotia, the Maritimes, and Atlantic Canada.
- The Captain
- Cool Big Sis: Emily.
- Cool Boat
- Fearless Fool: Carla the Cabin Cruiser.
- Five-Man Band
- The Ghost: The Harbormaster's friend Rodney, who often has something to do with whatever is going on but never really shows up, along with any other humans in the show.
- Hate Plague: Guysborough's first appearance had this effect.
- Heavy Sleeper: Northumberland the Submarine.
- Jerk Ass: Guysborough the Garbage Barge.
- Jerkass Fašade: Theodore in episode Bumper Buddies.
- Jerk Jock: One shot character Oliver The Vast.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: George.
- Kid-Appeal Character: Hank.
- Large Ham: Owan the Oil Rig.
- Nice Hat: The entire tugboat fleet are identified by them.
- PokÚmon Speak: Donald Dock. All he can say is "Uh-huh". The junk dock Jasper can only say "nope". Apparently it's common for docks to only be able to say one word.
- Rookie Red Ranger: Theodore.
- Shout-Out: In the episode "Bedford's Big Move", the Harbourmaster receives cookies from his mother that are shaped like Sunshine from TUGS. Some of the character names coincide with other characters' names in TUGS, such as Lilly Lighthouse (Lillie Lightship).
- Super Speed: Hank, you're the fastest Tug in the big harbour!
- The Magnificent: Emily the Vigorous, George the Valiant, and Foduck The Vigilant.
- Theme Music Power-Up: An instrumental of the main theme starts blaring as Theodore is doing something heroic/cool.
- Theme Tune Roll Call
- Tsundere: Emily is a good example of a Type-B Tsundere.
- Twin Switch: Phillip and Philmore the ferry twins do it often as a joke.
- Welcome Episode