Series / Tots TV
is a puppet show for children by Ragdoll Productions
(creators of Teletubbies
and Rosie and Jim
) for Central Independent Television
, which was broadcast between 1992 and 1997.
The show is about three elf-like creatures called Tots, who live in a big secret house in the middle of nowhere. The protagonists are:
- Tilly speaks Gratuitous French (Gratuitous Spanish in America), but understands English very well. She has a magic bag with her, which she likes to call a sac magique / bolsa mágica. She is good at playing the piccolo.
- Tom is the cleverest of the tots, and the oldest. He wears glasses and has blue hair... similiar to Truman from Dino Babies.
- Tiny is the youngest and has a Mickey Mouse-style voice, but with a heavy Essex accent.
Furryboo the rat lives with the tots, too, but that's a secret! The trio have a pet donkey which they nuture, who is named, well, Donkey
The show was first broadcast on CITV
, but was also shown on PBS Kids
- Alphabetical Theme Naming
- Bilingual Dialogue: Tilly speaks French (or Spanish depending on which version you're watching).
- Catch-Phrase: Tilly: "Sac Magicque, Sac Magicque." / "Bolsa Mágica, Bolsa Mágica."
- Everything Sounds Sexier in French: And HOW!
- Expository Theme Tune: "I'm a tot, Je suis une tot / Soy una tot. Tilly, Tom, and Tiny, we speak together every day, un, deux, trois / uno, dos, tres. BOO!"
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Every episode has a noun as its title.
- Meaningful Name: Tiny has a Mickey Mouse voice.
- The Movie: Big Treasure Adventure
- Shout-Out: As with Rosie and Jim, this show contains loads of sightings to find! Try watching the Playground episode! Good luck, you'll need it!
- Superhero Episode: Super Tiny. Yes, even for a show from the creators of Teletubbies.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: This show is very similar to The Super Mario Bros. Super Show in terms of segmentation.
- Token Minority: Tom is African-American.
- Trickster Archetype: For a francophone character, Tilly actually loves causing trouble. Take the time she used a donkey mask on the others in one episode.
- Three-for-One Show
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Tom, obviously.