Series: To the Manor Born
, early Eighties Brit Com
. Upper-Class Twit
Audrey fforbes-Hamilton is forced to sell Grantleigh Manor, the Big Fancy House
which has been in her family for countless generations. To her horror, the historic estate is bought by Richard DeVere, a nouveau riche
supermarket magnate. To make sure he doesn't make a mess of things, she moves into a lodge in the front yard.
As the series went on, Audrey became a Defrosting Ice Queen
and developed a Slap-Slap-Kiss
relationship with Richard. They had a Last Minute Hookup
in the Grand Finale
Came twenty-first in Britain's Best Sitcom
- Alpha Bitch: Audrey was one before her drop in status. She's still pretty "alpha" during the series through sheer force of personality.
- Big Fancy House: Grantleigh Manor.
- Christmas Episode
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Audrey.
- Fallen Princess: Audrey.
- Ice-Cream Koan: Mrs Poo's 'old Czechoslovakian' sayings.
- Most are of the less obscure variety.
- Impoverished Patrician: Audrey.
- Kissing Cousins: Audrey's late husband, who died pre-series, was also her cousin.
- Last Minute Hookup
- National Health Service: In one episode, Audrey throws her back out and is obliged to endure the indignity of making use of the National Health.
- Not Even Bothering with the Accent: Though this is a Justified Trope, as Richard is Eastern European and his real name is Bedrich Polouvicki. He came to Britain as a child in 1939.
- Pre-Approved Sermon
- Pride Before a Fall: Happens to Audrey in the first episode, of course, but also to Richard. He comes in boasting that he'll turn Grantleigh into a profitable modernized farm in no time and quickly realizes that he knows nothing about farming or country life.
- Pun-Based Title: On Shakespeare's "to the manner born."
- Road Sign Reversal
- The Tramp: Mr Smith.
- The West Country: The series was filmed in Somerset and also takes place there (in the fictional town of Marlbury, somewhere near Taunton).
- The Unpronounceable: According to Audrey "Polouvicka" is this, thus the nickname "Mrs Poo".
- Upper-Class Twit: Audrey.
- The Vicar: The Rector, who is a perfect example.
- Video Inside, Film Outside
- Well Intentioned Replacement: The honey.
- In one episode, Richard bought Audrey a new Austin Metro to replace her expensive-to-run 1930s Rolls-Royce when she considered selling the Rolls; she was offended by his thinking she needed charity and couldn't bring herself to sell the old car to a collector since he planned to rebody it.
- Widow Woman: Audrey, which she happens to be quietly delighted about!