Series: Under the Umbrella Tree
- "In your imagination, you'll find an invitation...."
This series contained examples of:
- Alliterative Name: especially Gloria (see Overly Long Name below)
- Animal Stereotypes: Inverted with Iggy. Despite his slightly creepy appearance (think something that Jerry Garcia might dream about after eating too much pepperoni pizza), he was the most lovable and relatable of the roommates.
- Free-Range Children: Furthermore, they did live by themselves until Holly came (as explained in one flashback episode).
- Lions and Tigers and Humans... Oh, My!: Despite essentially becoming Holly's "kids" (once she moves in), Gloria, Iggy and Jacob have lives of their own. Not only did they occasionally receive visits from their animal relatives, but the Very Special Episode described below established that there were other animal residents in the neighborhood.
- Long-Lost Uncle Aesop: There was the time that Gloria's wealthy "Aunt Gloxinia" died and Gloria inherited the services of her butler. This butler was a Well-Intentioned Extremist who constantly shadowed her and forbade her to do many things (such as eat ice cream, for example) because "Your Aunt Gloxinia never [did X]." This eventually drove Gloria to scream in frustration: "My Aunt Gloxinia isn't me!" The problem was eventually resolved when the butler quit his job, admitting that even he had become sick of all the social pretension.
- Monkey Ball: Although usually The Comically Serious, Holly could be counted on to get herself humiliated from time to time for a cheap laugh. A notable example was an episode when she dressed in a gorilla suit and went around the neighborhood performing singing telegrams in order to make extra money — but got mistaken for an actual gorilla, captured by zookeepers, and was taken to a local zoo where she was locked in a cage for several hours! And in an episode where one of Iggy's relatives visits from the Southwest, Holly undergoes a Humiliation Conga that includes her sitting on a cactus and burning her mouth on some spicy chili.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Iggy's favorite actress was a pert-lipped, pompous British reptile named "Elizardbeth Taylor".
- Overly Long Name: Gloria's full name is Gloria Gladys Grace Gardenia Gale Gopher.
- Ping-Pong Naïveté: Gloria, Iggy, and Jacob swung from being sophisticated pseudo-adults to hapless waifs whenever the plot demanded it.
- Team Mom: Holly. Gloria was likely this before Holly moved in.
- Totem Pole Trench: In an episode, the three main puppets attempted to do this with Gloria on top.
- A Very Special Episode: During an episode that took place in December, Holly and the gang were visited by a neighbor who outed himself as Jewish by saying he was getting ready for Hanukkah. This inspired the roommates to plan a huge Hanukkah bash, despite the slim likelihood of that many Jewish people (and animals!) residing in their neighborhood.
- Word Salad Title: The titular "umbrella tree" is a tropical plant that Gloria actually lives "under", but was rarely referenced.