"Half an hour later in Newfoundland"
— Every radio program's preview has this.
"CBC; Canada lives here."The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (known in French as (la Société) Radio-Canada or SRC), is the government owned national network in Canada. It was originally a national network of radio stations founded in 1936. It was founded as the successor of the Canadian Radio Broadcasting Commission founded in 1932 which was, in turn, the federally-mandated replacement for the Canadian National Railways radio network, established in 1923. Indirectly, this makes the CBC the second-oldest broadcast network in the world, after the BBC. The first CBC television broadcasts began in September, 1952.English-language CBC radio is split into two channels. CBC Radio One provides a mix of local and national programming, mostly news and public affairs, but with some music and comedy programming as well. CBC Radio 2 is mostly classical music and opera, though it has been adding more popular music lately, and consists mostly of national programming. Neither network runs advertisements except during federal elections when it's legally required to run candidate ads. However, budget considerations have prompted the CBC to get permission for advertising on Radio 2 on a tentative basis in the fall of 2013.French-language SRC radio also has two channels. Première Chaîne is the French equivalent of CBC Radio One, and has a similar broadcasting focus. Espace musique is the French equivalent of CBC Radio 2, and until recently, had a similar format to its English counterpart, with the name La chaîne culturelle. However, in 2004, most of the high-brow cultural programs were moved to Première Chaîne, while the now-rebranded Espace musique started focusing on classical, jazz, folk, and world music. This rebranding was controversial, but proved popular.There is also RCI, Radio Canada International, which is the CBC's international arm.Some national programs from CBC Radio One are:
- As it Happens: Evening news magazine where the hosts call the subjects for interviews. (also syndicated to NPR stations, mainly in the Upper Midwest)
- C'est La Vie: A show focusing on Canada French speaking culture.
- Cross Country Checkup: A national call-in show focusing on politics.
- The Current: Morning current affairs magazine.
- Day 6: A more light hearted news program.
- The Debaters: A game show where pairs of comedians debate subjects with the aim of both being as persuasive and funny as possible.
- Definitely Not the Opera: A light arts and human interest show that runs at the same time as CBC Radio 2's weekly Opera broadcast.
- The House: National political affairs.
- Ideas: Intellectual documentaries and lectures.
- Quirks and Quarks: National science program.
- Q: An interview-based arts show (and popular podcast).
- Spark: A weekly show focusing on technology and its relationship with culture
- The Sunday Edition: The Sunday morning current affairs and culture show.
- The Vinyl Cafe: Comedy and variety show, basically a Canadian equivalent of A Prairie Home Companion, down to the touring live shows and its folksy storyteller host, Stuart McLean.
- This Is That: A satire show that is a Stealth Parody of CBC Radio's news interview shows.
- Vinyl Tap: Classic Rock show hosted by Canadian rock legend, Randy Bachman (of the Guess Who and Bachman Turner Overdrive.)
- The World at Six/The World This Weekend: The main evening news show.
- Afghanada:Essentially Canada's Tour of Duty about Canada soldiers serving in Afghanistan.
- Monsoon House: A series starring Russell Peters about the misadventures of an Indo-Canadian family and their small book publishing business.
- Backbencher: The misadventures of a rookie backbencher Member of Parliament serving in Canada's federal parliament in Ottawa.
- Trust Inc.: The trials of a Toronto based public relations firm.
- Canadia: 2056: A satire on the War on Terror and Canada's role therein, set on the starship Canadia, the only Canadian contribution to an American interstellar invasion fleet. The ship specialize in toilet repair.
Show that have aired on CBC
- Being Erica
- Degrassi Junior High
- Degrassi High
- Hockey Night in Canada
- Little Mosque on the Prairie
- Made In Canada
- Murdoch Mysteries (from season 6 onward)
- Nineteen Two (French version. English version was not taken up for airing.)
- Republic Of Doyle
- The Red Green Show
- Royal Canadian Air Farce
- Schitts Creek
- This Hour Has 22 Minutes
- X Company