Web Animation / People Watching
People Watching is a Web Series created by Winston Rowntree creator of the webcomic Subnormality
, published on Cracked
Youtube Channel. People Watching deals with the lives of various 20 and 30-something city folk dealing with the everyday struggles, problems and neuroses that go along with, well, life.
This series provides examples of:
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Safra personifies her depression, it takes the form of a bespectacled, mustachioed man with arm tattoos wearing a short sleeved shirt in jeans who constantly makes remarks on how broken she is and how she will never be truly happy.
- Attractiveness Isolation: Candy is so attractive that clients for her job as an exotic dancer gives her a lot of free stuff and her image is used as a poster in her workplace, but she comes of as intimidating to guys especially combined with her high IQ, because of this she has no real/close friends to the point that nobody visited her in the hospital during her 4 month stay.
- Better as Friends: Martha and Ted discuss this trope in episode 5 in terms to their platonic relationship.
- Brutal Honesty: Jeremy and Candy opted to be brutally honest about themselves during Speed Dating and the people that they talked to started doing the same thing.
- Canada, Eh?: The series takes place in a Canadian city, most characters use the "Eh" Interjection and Candy the stripper mentions making the guy on a $5 Bill look like Spock, an act called "Spocking" which is a common thing in Canada.
- Confessional: A Non-Religious Confessional in episode 2
- Ted mentions being in a relationship with Christianne at the end of episode 5, the only girl who reacted positively when Ted mentions he likes the beach and pegging in speed dating.
- Candy mentions her accident in the Secret Losers Anonymous Meeting.
- After their shared hatred of the movie and discussion on why talking should be allowed in theaters in Episode 9, Jackson, Ted & Martha became friends. We can see Jackson being invited for a movie night in Ted's Apartment as well as Jackson cheering Ted on in one of his rants in a comedy club in episode 10.
- Cool Teacher: Mr. Dolan, Ted's Grade 7 Teacher inspired him to be an Artist/Comedy Writer, Ted writes a very beautiful letter to him at episode 8, grateful to the role in his development despite him not being a success.
- Meaningful Background Event: In episode 5 when Ted & Martha were in College eating in a Diner we see Jeremy before his transition and when they return years later, Jeremy's transition has been completed.
- Near-Death Experience: Candy is hit with a Car in episode 4, the trauma causes her to rationalize the concept of death.
- Nostalgia Ain't Like It Used to Be: Ted delivers a rant about Nostalgia and being grateful about their lives in the present, we are treated to a showcasing of some of the other characters lives, their challenges as well as their triumphs, while time-travelling future people are watching each of them and agreeing to his rant.
- The Reveal:
- At the end of episode 1, it looks like Candy and Jeremy are talking to each other only for it to reveal that they are talking to different people on different days.
- At the end of episode 3 after a successful date with Jeremy, Safra talks to him in her apartment only for his comments to become suddenly negative and dismissive. It turns out she is talking to Depression Guy. Her date with Jeremy was over a week ago and she hadn't talked to him since.
- At episode 6. Flossie seems busy with her phone during her break at her live concert rudely ignoring her fans. It is revealed that she isn't really doing anything but switching screens on her phone during all of her minimal interactions during her shows
- Smarter Than You Look: Candy is a stripper with a 180 IQ
- Speed Dating: The main characters and some background characters try speed dating on episode 1
- Starving Artist:
- Ted is revealed to be this in episode 7, Ted is a successful artist with thousands of fans, but makes only $12,000 a year.
- Flossie's internal monologue in episode 10 mentions that she is poor.
- Transsexual: Jeremy is a Transsexual waiter, foreshadowed in the earlier episodes but revealed in episode 10.
- Tropaholics Anonymous: Safra, Candy, Jackson, Ted and Flossie discuss why they are losers despite not looking it.
- Used to Be More Social: Safra mentions that she used to have a lot of school friends but after graduation she lost out of touch with all of her friends and never recovered socially.