Derek Thompson is The Tooth Fairy
, a hard-charging minor league hockey player whose nickname comes from his habit of separating opposing players from their teeth. When Derek discourages a youngster's hopes, he's sentenced to one week's hard labor as a real tooth fairy, complete with the requisite tutu, wings and magic wand. At first, Derek "can't handle the tooth", bumbling and stumbling as he tries to furtively wing his way through strangers' homes…doing what tooth fairies do. But as Derek slowly adapts to his new position, he begins to rediscover his own forgotten dreams.
This movie provides examples of:
- Action Hero Babysitter: Derek Thompson
- Actor Allusion: Billy Crystal gets some snacks for the Fairy Queen, saying, "I got you a few of your favourite things."
- Adorkable: Tracy...it's Stephen Merchant, after all.
- Break the Haughty: This is the premise of the movie.
- Celestial Bureaucracy: Fairies have dusty offices, too.
- Curse Cut Short: After waiting all night for a kid to fall asleep, Derek is informed that his assignment is canceled. He responds with "Bull", but the scene then cuts to Carly honking her horn.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: While returning home from his first assignment, Derek's still under the effects of the Shrinking Paste. Carly wants him to join her on the couch, but he, having already lied to her about not feeling well, says "I'll call you when I'm bigger....uh, I mean better". Cue confused look on Carly's face.
- Hurricane of Puns: And how. Most notably, right before Derek's first assignment.
- Kick the Dog: Several. It even has a subversion that turns into a Pet the Dog.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: One of the tooth fairy tools mentioned below does this. Derek uses this to try out one explanation after another to his girlfriend.
- They also perform this on Derek at the end. Which makes you wonder what was the point of teaching him to be a better person, since he no longer remembers anything that prompted this change?
- Masquerade: The tooth fairies do whatever they can to hide traces of their existence. However, apparently the tooth fairies need people to believe in them if they want to keep on existing, so it makes one wonder why they don't reveal themselves to the world.
- Mundane Utility: Derek starts misusing his tooth fairy tools in due time.
- Slo-Mo Big Air: during Derek's first assignment, mentioned above. Those fingerboards are remarkably slick.
- The Stinger: Billy Crystal and the Fairy Queen get to watch Derek's latest game.
- It is also implied that they are a married couple which was hinted earlier.
- Training Montage: Probably the one good thing about this movie, this is done as an amazing threefer, with Derek training Carly's son in electric blues guitar, interspersed with Derek training Tracy in tooth fairy field work, to Derek himself training to be a hockey forward again.