Wrestling: Giant Haystacks
Martin Ruane (1946-1998) was a British Professional Wrestler and actor best known as Giant Haystacks or Loch Ness. He debuted in 1967 as Luke McMasters and was also billed as Haystacks Calhoun, taken from the American wrestler with the same name. This was changed to Giant Haystacks. He competed primarily as a Monster Heel, for obvious reasons. He was a huge star and a major ratings draw on ITV. He also competed as Loch Ness for Stampede and had a brief, aborted run in WCW in February-March 1996. He died of cancer in 1998. He was a 1x British Heavyweight Champion and a 1x Stampede International Tag Team Champion with the Dynamite Kid.As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki.
- Arch-Enemy: Kendo Nagasaki, Roy and Tony St. Clair, Big Daddy (Shirley Crabtree)
- Bash Brothers: with Big Daddy, until the latter's face turn, Dynamite Kid, Ed Wiskoski, Malcolm "King Kong" Kirk
- Beard of Evil
- Belly Flop Crushing: Trope namer by way of his method for finishing matches
- Big Guy, Little Guy: With the Dynamite Kid
- British Teeth: During his WCW run, commentator Dusty Rhodes said "he's got those summernote teeth."
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Was in line for a push but had to return home to England due to health issues. He ultimately died of cancer in 1998.
- David Vs Goliath: Inverted with his wins over Marcus Bagwell, Alex Wright and Scotty Riggs. Played relatively straight when Lex Luger defeated him by countout, in that Luger was only the David by default, since he was never thought of as a "little guy". Subverted when the Giant defeated him in his last appearance, at WCW UnCensored 96, since that was Goliath Vs. Goliath.
- Evil vs. Evil: His feud with Kendo Nagasaki (the British version.)
- Fat Bastard
- Finishing Move: Elbow Drop
- The Giant: 6'11, and over 600+ lbs.
- Mighty Glacier: Huge, not very mobile. Of course, a lot of times he didn't need to move very fast, since he tended to just flatten his opponents.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Loch Ness
- Power Stable:
- (in Stampede): Foley's Armynote
- (in WCW): The Dungeon of Doom.
- Ring Oldies: Was already 49 when he arrived in WCW.
- Shout-Out: Received one in the Manic Street Preachers' song "Me and Steven Hawking":"A hundred thousand watch Giant Haystacks in a Bombay fight"
- Squash Match: Often.
- Stock Ness Monster: As Loch Ness
- Wrestling Monster