Wrestling: Ted DiBiase, Jr
Theodore Marvin "Ted" DiBiase, Jr. (born November 8, 1982) is an American professional wrestler, having formerly worked in WWE. He is a former two time WWE World Tag Team Champion with his former tag team partner, Cody Rhodes. He is also an occasional actor in film.After being trained by Chris Youngblood and undergoing further training at Harley Race's Wrestling Academy, DiBiase made his professional wrestling debut on July 8, 2006. He won the Fusion Pro Tag Team Championship with his brother Mike DiBiase, in February 2007, and also toured Japan briefly with Pro Wrestling Noah. He signed a developmental contract with WWE in July 2007, and was assigned to their developmental facility, Florida Championship Wrestling (FCW). He joined the Next Generation Hart Foundation faction for a short time, before winning the FCW Southern Heavyweight Championship in December 2007. Due to injury, he relinquished the championship in January 2008.He made his WWE television debut on May 26, 2008, and in his first match as a member of the Raw roster, he won the World Tag Team Championship with Cody Rhodes. They dropped the championship in August, before winning it again a week later. Rhodes and DiBiase were joined by Manu shortly afterwards, forming a faction of multi-generation wrestlers, although shortly afterwards DiBiase was taken off television to film The Marine 2. Upon his return, he formed The Legacy faction alongside Rhodes and Randy Orton. Following The Legacy's dissolution, DiBiase moved into singles competition, and was drafted to the Smack Down brand in April 2011.Aside from professional wrestling, DiBiase is also an actor, making his film debut in The Marine 2, a direct-to-DVD movie that was released on December 29, 2009.On August 26, 2013 Ted announced on his YouTube page that he is leaving the WWE.
Tropes associated with Ted DiBiase, Jr. include:
- Arch-Enemy: While in Legacy, anyone Randy Orton feuded with by default. In singles; Goldust, Cody Rhodes, Hunico, Jinder Mahal
- Battle Butler: Virgil, DiBiase, Sr.'s bodyguard, eventually fired by Jr.
- Demoted to Extra: Has rarely appeared on TV in recent months.
- The Dog Bites Back: After he had enough of Cody's BS.
- Finishing Move: Dream Street, a cobra clutch side slam.
- Heel-Face Turn
- Henpecked Boyfriend: To Maryse at one point.
- I Come From Money Song
- It Runs in the Family: Both with his father and grandfather.
- The Jannetty: DiBiase was originally intended to be the Breakout Character of Legacy, but Cody Rhodes ending being it in the long run. Ted wasn't able to get over with his dad's gimmick or with Maryse, and eventually ended up jobbing to Daniel Bryan all the time because the rest of the midcard on RAW was being elevated to main event status. Cody, meanwhile, developed his "Dashing" gimmick. Then Rey Mysterio broke his nose, making him "Un-Dashing"; that gimmick ended up making him one of the top heels of the company.
- Legacy Character:
- Almost impossible not to be. It's even lampshaded in his entrance music. (Pun not intended, BTW.)
- Subverted. Daddy's hand-me-downs got tiring fast, trading in the family servant for a gold-digging girlfriend and outright giving dad back the Million Dollar title. This culminated into him finally becoming a more philanthropic sort of rich guy after turning face.
- Non-Idle Rich: Doesn't want his father's hand-me-down (Million Dollar Championship) and would rather go after his own opportunities.
- Power Stable: Was part of Legacy with Cody Rhodes and Randy Orton.
- Put on a Bus: Due to the broken ankle, which had him out of action since March of 2012 before he returned in October, before an injury to his hand in December put him out action again. He then left the company in August of 2013.
- Redemption Promotion: Played pretty straight with his Heel-Face Turn.
- Rich Bastard: As a heel.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: As a heel.
- Sheltered Aristocrat
- Simple Yet Awesome: His Dream Street finisher is an awesome visual for a finishing move, especially if sold well.
- Smug Snake: As a heel
- Straight Man: Plays this often, in particular when compared to the hamminess of his dad, the evil of Randy Orton and Cody Rhodes.
- Underwear of Power
- Wrestling Family: He's a third-generation guy with his dad, Ted Sr., and his grandfather, "Iron" Mike DiBiase. His little brother had a brief stint in FCW as well, but had to retire due to injury.