I Hit You, You Hit the Ground
"There'll be only two blows struck: I'll hit him, and he'll hit the earth."Stock phrase originating... we're not really sure. The internet doesn't seem to know either. Our best guess is Little Nemo (see page quote). It's been showing up fairly frequently in the last ten years, making it stock dialogue. The implied threat is obvious: Screw with me, I'll punch your lights out. Obviously, it doesn't have to be the ground, just whatever surface is under your feet. A subtrope of Badass Boast, and related somewhat to Chew Bubblegum. Not to be confused with Meteor Move. For when this actually occurs, see One-Hit KO.
open/close all folders
- In The Breakfast Club, Andrew Clark (Emilio Estevez) says to John Bender (Judd Nelson), "Two hits: Me hitting you, you hitting the floor." Awesomely followed up with him proving it - though the wrestling version, not the boxing version.
- In Inglourious Basterds, Sgt. Donny Donowitz says this to a Nazi soldier when leading him to be interrogated by Lt. Aldo Raine.
- The Devils Rejects, Captain Spaulding to Otis Driftwood during a tense moment; "Two hits; I hit you, your dick hits the dirt!"
- Subverted in the first live action Scooby-Doo movie, When Shaggy and Scooby are about to fight each other over Scooby accusing Shaggy's love interest of being one of the monsters Shaggy says;
"There will be two hits, I'll hit you, and then I'll hit you again."
- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World has a little bit of a variant. "The first click is me hanging up the phone. The second is me pulling the trigger."
- Invoked in X-Wing: Wraith Squadron by Piggy stating that he has "struck several fellow officers in well moderated challenge matches. I have never had to strike one more than once. No one I have ever struck has been able to speak coherently within half an hour of my striking him."
Live Action TV
- A play on this phrase occurs in Workaholics, where Blake says "There'll be two hits. Me hitting you, and Kid Rock's "Bawitaba" playing in the background."
- Variation from Titus; Ken Titus says to his girlfriend's gay ex-husband, "There's gonna be three hits; me hitting you, you hitting the floor, then you hitting on the ambulance driver."
- In "The Fight" episode of The Office (US), Steve Carell's character gets the line just a bit wrong: "Two punches: Me punching you, you hitting the floor."
- In Mike And Molly, apparently Molly starts a bar brawl at one point. She remarks that it wasn't much of a brawl; she hit the offender once, and the offender hit the floor.
- Subverted in Community, when Hickey threatens, "If I come over there, there are gonna be two sounds: me hitting you...twice."
- Variation in a Will Smith song: "Three hits, I hit you, you hit the floor; this track is the third hit, that's for sure!"
- Sick Puppies' song "You're Going Down": "When my fist hits your face; and your face hits the floor"
- Mindless Self Indulgence's song "Lights Out" is about a guy who enjoys the mindless ultraviolence that can come with this trope: "Punch your lights out, hit the pavement, that's what I call entertainment!"
- Guns N' Roses, "It's So Easy": "See me hit you, you fall down!"
- And inverted in Metallica's "The Day That Never Comes"
You pull away, he hits the fleshYou hit the ground
- Titus Andronicus' song "Arms Against Atrophy":
It was just the two hitsI remember nothing moreOnly Alex hitting the switchand me hitting the floor
- Kind of a variation from Old Man Murray: "You be Sonny Bono, and I'll be a tree. You hit me and die."
- On one of the "Mr. T facts" pages, there was this gem: "If you try to fight Mr. T, it will end in two hits. Him hitting you, and you hitting the surface of the sun"
- Persona 4 Endurance Run: Episode 93. "This will be over in two hits, Yosuke. Me hitting the X button and you hitting the floor."
- During one music video review on Beavis And Butthead, Butt-head does this to Beavis when he keeps telling him to shut up. But, being Butt-head, he doesn't quite get how you're supposed to do it.
Beavis, there's going to be two hits. My fist hitting your face, and, uhh... my fist hitting your face again.
- In the episode of The Ren & Stimpy Show "Sven Hoek", a tranquilly furious Ren says to Stimpy and Sven that "I'm gonna hit ya...and you're gonna faaaaaaall."
- In The Smurfs episode "Gargamel's Giant", badass wannabe Tuffy tells the Smurfs about the fight he and Hefty got into with Azrael, and Hefty interrupts the story and says there were only two hits: Azrael hit Tuffy, and Tuffy hit the ground. After that, everybody leaves.
- From the Film Within A Show "Banjo" on Bob's Burgers, "There's gonna be two shots: Me shooting you, and then me taking this shot of whiskey." *BANG*
- Subverted in the Adventure Time episode, "The Party's Over, Isla de Senorita".
Party God: There's going to be two hits, bro. Me hitting you and the second instance of me hitting you.