I Hit You, You Hit The Ground
A crude diagram
Stock phrase originating... we're not really sure. The internet doesn't seem to know either. Our best guess is Little Nemo
(see page quote). It's been showing up fairly frequently in the last ten years, making it stock dialogue. The implied threat is obvious: Screw with me, I'll punch your lights out. Obviously, it doesn't have to be the ground, just whatever surface is under your feet. A subtrope of Badass Boast
, and related somewhat to Chew Bubblegum
. Not to be confused with Meteor Move
open/close all folders
- Invoked in X-Wing: Wraith Squadron by Piggy stating that he has "struck several fellow officers in well moderated challenge matches. I have never had to strike one more than once. No one I have ever struck has been able to speak coherently within half an hour of my striking him."
Live Action TV
- Variation from Titus; Ken Titus says to his girlfriend's gay ex-husband, "There's gonna be three hits; me hitting you, you hitting the floor, then you hitting on the ambulance driver."
- In "The Fight" episode of The Office (US), Steve Carell's character gets the line just a bit wrong: "Two punches: Me punching you, you hitting the floor."
- In Mike And Molly, apparently Molly starts a bar brawl at one point. She remarks that it wasn't much of a brawl; she hit the offender once, and the offender hit the floor.
- Subverted in Community, when Hickey threatens, "If I come over there, there are gonna be two sounds: me hitting you...twice."
- The stage-name of the late Bam Bam Bigelow was derived from this.
- A variation of this comes from Harley Race: "If I hit him with my left [hand] and he doesn't go down, I will walk around him to see what's holding him up."
- Punch-Out!!: "I have a three-step program for you. I punch you, you fall down, I win!"
- In Fallout 3, one of companion Jericho's battlecries is "Two hits, kid! Two hits!" (Oddly enough, his default weapon fires three-round bursts.)
- During one music video review on Beavis And Butthead, Butt-head does this to Beavis when he keeps telling him to shut up. But, being Butt-head, he doesn't quite get how you're supposed to do it.
Beavis, there's going to be two hits. My fist hitting your face, and, uhh... my fist hitting your face again.
- In the episode of The Ren & Stimpy Show "Sven Hoek", a tranquilly furious Ren says to Stimpy and Sven that "I'm gonna hit ya...and you're gonna faaaaaaall."
- In The Smurfs episode "Gargamel's Giant", badass wannabe Tuffy tells the Smurfs about the fight he and Hefty got into with Azrael, and Hefty interrupts the story and says there were only two hits: Azrael hit Tuffy, and Tuffy hit the ground. After that, everybody leaves.
- From the Film Within A Show "Banjo" on Bob's Burgers, "There's gonna be two shots: Me shooting you, and then me taking this shot of whiskey." *BANG*
- Kind of a variation from Old Man Murray: "You be Sonny Bono, and I'll be a tree. You hit me and die."
- On one of the "Mr. T facts" pages, there was this gem: "If you try to fight Mr. T, it will end in two hits. Him hitting you, and you hitting the surface of the sun"
- Persona 4 Endurance Run: Episode 93. "This will be over in two hits, Yosuke. Me hitting the X button and you hitting the floor."