"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum."
This oft-parodied line originated in the 1988 film They Live!
(The line was actually ad-libbed by hero and pro-wrestler "Rowdy" Roddy Piper
The "kick ass and chew bubblegum"
quote is referenced quite often for laughs (word for word except for the one part where it's mangled, the reversal is common as many people find it flows more naturally); it's assumed all viewers should know it by name. This is some of the most obvious Lampshade Hanging
you will likely find anywhere.
Although it was originally used as a Pre Asskicking One Liner
, They Live!
was a deconstruction of the 80's in general and 80's action heroes in particular, so even there it likely wasn't meant to be entirely serious. In later references it generally indicates an Incoming Ham
. Related to this is I Hit You, You Hit The Ground
. Not related to an inability to walk and chew gum at the same time
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- One volume of Samurai Deeper Kyo has the three male protagonists saying "We're here to kick ass and chew mochi balls... and we're all out of mochi." Seeing as gum hadn't been introduced to Japan yet, the chewy, doughy stuff makes an acceptable substitute.
- Kuwabara pulls this once in the dub of YuYu Hakusho, in the dark Tournament Arc. Shizuru is not impressed.
- Why Koga feels he should have been at the final fight in InuYasha... until his friends tell him otherwise.
- From Marvel Zombies 3:
Aaron Stack: I have been programmed to eviscerate your repulsive squishy organic bits and chew gum. And I hate gum.
- Twisted Toyfare Theatre from Toy Fair magazine had one of the Smurfs say "I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblesmurf! And I'm all out of bubblesmurf!"
- The mag also inverted this once - showing a War Machine figure saying "I'm here to fire missiles and chew bubblegum. And I have plenty of missiles."
- In Horndog:
Andrea Mouse: I'm here to kill lemmings and chew bubblegum... and I'm all out of gum.
- Clint in Dazed and Confused:
- Clint: I only came here to do two things, kick some ass and drink some beer. [glances over his shoulder] Looks like we're almost outta beer.
- Used as a Stealth Pun in GI Joe The Rise Of Cobra: at one point, it's established that Duke really likes Dubble Bubble. Right before the Paris chase, he gives his last piece to Breaker.
- Invoked during Roddy Piper's appearance at a wrestling match featured in the Juggalo documentary A Family Underground.
- Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy has this great quote by Veronica Corningstone (Christina Applegate).
Corningstone: Because I am good at three things: Fighting, screwing, and reading the news. I've already done one of those today, so what's the other one gonna be? Huh?
- In Proven Guilty, book 8 of The Dresden Files, we find this gem:
I kicked the door open, staff held ready to fight, and shouted, "And I'm all outta bubble gum!"
Live Action TV
- Although it's never explicitly referenced, an episode of Stargate SG-1 included a one-episode character shooting the hell out of a zombie while blowing bubbles with his gum.
- Invoked by Adam while Jamie is busy setting up their latest rig:
Adam: Mr Hyneman says it's time to bash some heads in, and chew some gum. And he's fresh out of gum.
- In 'The Final Countdown' episode of The IT Crowd:
Moss: I came here to drink milk... and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk.
- Mystery Science Theater 3000:
- Parodied with Kevin Murphy as Santa Claus, pronouncing, "I'm here to kick ass and eat candy canes, and I'm all out of candy canes!" before fighting with Pitch.
- The episode The Outlaw (of Gor) made fun of this. Before the fight, the hero is chewing on something, and Crow quips "I've come here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of ass!"
- And again during Godzilla vs. Megalon, with Crow substituting "sushi" for bubblegum.
- One of the team captains in Robot Wars says this line once during their introduction.
- In Doctor Who, Rory has the similar "I'm here to kiss my wife or kick your ass. And I don't see my wife."
- How I Met Your Mother: When Ted comes to help Lily and Marshall pack.
Ted: I'm here to chew bubblegum and pack boxes, and I'm all out of bubble... [gags] Oh, my God, I swallowed it!
- "The Meddler" by the Subway Thugs, a street punk band, has the line during the intro.
- Sarah Bishop in Dino Attack RPG humorously referenced the original line with a BZP-friendly version: "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick buttocks, and I'm all out of bubblegum!"
- In the Scion sourcebook Hero, players are advised to make Physical Attributes their character's primary category "if you're building a Scion who kicks ass and chews gum, but happens to be all out of gum."
- This simple tabletop system literally contains rules for being All Outta Bubblegum.
- In Bob and George, Dr. Light mangles the line due to being really drunk in this comic.
- In Mac Hall, they were all out of ass.
- No Need for Bushido uses the line "Yori's ready to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and he's fresh out of bubblegum!" as a subtitle on its banner at TopWebComics.com.
- Parodied in The Non-Adventures of Wonderella, when the eponymous character gets pissed off at a sentient Target store:
Wonderella: I'm here to buy bubblegum and eat cookies... and you're all out of bubblegum.
- Felicity Flint of John Troutman's various comics once gets distracted in the middle of it:
I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of— OOH, Bubble Tape
- The Forums for the webcomic Dresden Codak had a forum regular sprout "It's time for badass Kimiko to kick ass and manipulate the structure of synthetic polymers, and she's all out of synthetic polymers."
- Parodied in Dragon Tails here.
Goldy: That's it, I'm stealing a one liner. Time to kick ass and chew bubble gum and I'm all out of gum.
Lemuel: Actually, I've got another pack of gum in my bag.
Goldy: Uh... ta.
- Also played with, because the gum is why he then kicks ass. The gum is actually a high power explosive, one of the few inventions created by the resident incompetent Mad Scientist (Bluey) that works as it's intended to.
- Also parodied in this Ansem Retort comic. Justified in that it's perfectly in-character for Sora.
- The MS Paint Adventures series Problem Sleuth pairs a variant with Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness when, in a donation-sponsored bonus comic, Pickle Inspector attempts to save the day with a desk fort.
- Today Nothing Happened had a semi-filler strip doing the usual subversion (only with dishes).
- In Pegwarmers, Deadpool parodied it here.
- The usual joke gets a little technical in this statement by CEO Duke Nukem, as reported by Penny Arcade.
- If you scroll enough to the top-left in this XKCD, you find someone saying "I came here to chew bubblegum... and I'm all out of bubblegum."
- Parodied in Allen The Alien; Allen mangles it when he is drunk.
- Educomix uses it in true Dada Comics style in this strip.
Juice: We're here to chew gum and destroy Ecotologist equipment. And we're not really here to chew gum, we're only here to destroy Ecotologist equipment.
- Tooth Paste For Dinner provides the most meta possible version of this: Thing Doers.
- Angry Joe parodied this in his review of Duke Nukem Forever
Joe: I'm here to Kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I have... plenty of gum"
- There used to be a website hosting things like Spider-Man: Shush, and Avengers: Misassembled spoofing Marvel and DC crossover stories, using action figures.
Ultron: "I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. ... And even though I still have plenty of gum, I'ma still gonna kick all yo asses."
- Duke Nukem: Forever (no, not that one, the one by Andrew Kepple) parodies it beautifully:
Elderly Duke Nukem: "I'm here to kick ass and chew gum—-[dentures fall out]—-and I'm all out of teeth."
Elderly Doctor Proton: "Plenty of gums, though."
- In early February 2011, when ICANN assigned the last I Pv 4 /8s, the line mutated for a time into "I'm here to kick ass and assign I Pv 4 addresses... and I'm all out of I Pv 4 addresses!"
- Spoofed in a Gag Sub version of Red Dawn 1984.
Col. Strelnikov: "I'm here to kick bubblegum and chew ass, and guess what? I'm all out of bubblegum."
(General Jackinoff nods for reasons you really don't want to know)
- Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series has Kaiba declare "I'm here to kick ass and play card games, and I'm all out of cards." This is later parodied by Yami in "The Other Abridged Movie" with "I'm here to kick ass and play card games, and I'm all out of ass."
- In one episode, Bakura says, "I've come to kick ass and drink cups of tea, and I'm all out of tea!"
- A pre-Team Four Star Dragon Ball Abridged take on the "Dead Zone" movie had a botched take on it:
Piccolo: Alright. I'm here to kick bubblegum and chew ass, and I'm all out of ass... wait...
- In .hack Trilogy Abridged, during Haseo's fight with Tri-Edge, at 6:17-6:25, Tri-Edge says "I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum, AGAIN!! I need to shop for more!"
- Gan Xingba, the creator of Avatar: The Abridged Series produced this gem:"I'm hear to eat fire flakes and kick ass, and I'm all out of fire flakes."
- This trope is used by SF Debris in his review of the Star Trek: Enterprise episode "Regeneration", riffing on the concept of heavily armed scientific expeditions.
"I'm here to measure soil toxicity and kick ass, and I'm all out of samples! *makes machine gun noises*"
- Humorously inverted in this◊ Professor Layton meme.
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Abridged Series by Pony Not Ready:
Kyoko: I'm here to kick ass and eat food. And I'm all out of food.
- Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America head honcho, became an Internet dear when in 2004 he uttered this gem during Nintendo's E3 conference: "My name is reggie, I'm about kicking ass, I'm about taking names, and we're about making games". Of course, the imageboards had a field trip with that... and Reggie saw it was good PR as he's been a source of one-liners since then. His body is ready.