We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Webcomic: Allen The Alien
Allen The Alien
is a strip by ComicFury
(for the most part, respectively the writer and artist). In it, a man named Allen is taken in an Alien Abduction
. Meanwhile, his wife Bonnie is trying to write "the greatest novel ever"...
The comic goes through two successions, the "main" strip, which is slightly more plot based, and the B Side Comic Poorly Drawn Allen
, which is slightly more comedic.
Tropes in this webcomic include:
- Alcohol-Induced Idiocy: Allen's is what sets the plot in motion.
- Alien Abduction: The beginning of the plot.
- Aliens Are Bastards/Humans Are Bastards: RR-TWTTW says that neither are true (it's just he has anger issues and that everyone's just lazy).
- Aliens Speaking English: Subverted. They actually speak Czech.
- Aliens Steal Cattle: Discussed and averted. "[T]hat's only in your stupid earth movies."
- All There in the Manual: The character page reveals some things that aren't mentioned in the actually story (either of them).
- Alphabetical Theme Naming: The character's names (including the aliens' "human" names) are in alphabetical order (not necessarily in chronological introduction order, though). Allen, Bonnie, Chad, David, Elanis.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking:
- Bonnie says that when she finishes her book, she'll get the "Nobel Peace Prize For The Best Book In The World", she'll be a "world idol", and she'll be talked about on a "um... daytime progrum?"
- A superhero says, "I'll rape your babies, and murder you, and spoil The Mousetrap." Technically it's this trope. We think they're all equal.
- Art Evolution: Zig-zagged. The artwork can be in varying degrees of quality. Though there has been something of a downward trend, because they artist is busy with outside conflicts and doesn't really have time to focus on the strip. However, it's starting to improve, cut-and-pasted strips and Poorly Drawn Allen aside.
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs: Bonnie says she's unironic, vain, unironivain, vainunironic.
- Bring My Brown Pants: Bonnie in one strip when she notices an alien ship.
- B Side Comics: Poorly Drawn Alien, which is very much Stylistic Suck.
- Chew Bubblegum: Parodied.
- Clarke's Law for Girls' Toys: Disscused; Bonnie points out this trope, then 565-14 remarks, "So magic was invented by a woman?"
- Comically Missing the Point: 565-14 remarks, "So magic was invented by a woman?", when Bonnie refernces Clarke's Law for Girls Toys.
- Cut and Paste Comic: Not normally, but one of the main strips did rip the art from an earlier strip. This did not go without lampshading.
- Cute Alien Girl: 565-14, but she is too young to be a Green-Skinned Space Babe.
- Department of Redundancy Department: There is a sign saying "ER Room".
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: The aliens mistake Allen for a girl; RR-TWTTW somehow think he resembles his daughter.
- Dude, Not Ironic: Bonnie says that she is so "ironic". Somebody offscreen points out that that's not what irony is. She says instead that she's "unironic, vain, unironivain, vainunironic".
- Fanservice: Allen is often shirtless/nude (no frontals though).
- Gamer Chick: Averted by Bonnie. Her character profile says she likes video games, but it also says she dislikes this character type.
- Goofy Print Underwear: The heart-covered boxers in this case.
- Guy In A Box: Allen becomes this.
- Humanoid Aliens: They look like humans with antennae.
- Idiosyncratic Chapter Naming: It's always an allusion to a lyric in a song. Not the case with the strip titles, though.
- I Resemble That Remark: RR-TWTTW comments that humans and aliens are just "not wanting to do stuff", commenting that he's too lazy to think of the right word.
- It Runs on Nonsensoleum: Apparently, the English the aliens speak is translated Czech. It's entirely played for laughs.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Bonnie and Allen, according to the characters sheet, anyway.
- Medium Awareness: When Chad gives 565-14 back to RR-TWTTW, he comments that "the writer couldn't think up of a good subplot for her." [sic]
- Meaningful Echo: The Father's Day strip.
- Non-Indicative Name: Allen is actually a human.
- Older Than They Look: Allen is about 51 and Bonnie is about 47 (as the characters page says). They don't look it
- Potty Emergency: Subverted. Allen comments that he needs to use the restroom, but he finds one really quickly.
- Progressively Prettier: Inverted with Allen, who started off really attractive. Sadly, it wouldn't last.
- Self-Deprecation: In a caption, we get this gem:
- Shirtless Scene: The very first panel.
- The character page reveals that Allen's full name is "Allen Walker Jericho", and Bonnie's is "Bonnie Swanson Jericho".
- Allen's phone alarm plays "Every Breath You Take".
- The strip names are often this to songs.
- Allen mangles the infamous Chew Bubblegum speech.
- "The Scarlet Ibis" is directly referenced.
- Bonnie is seen holding a Haruhi Suzumiya book.
- Futurama is referenced in one strip. Specifically, "blackjack and hookers" are mentioned to be part of Bonnie's book.
- When Bonnie wants to try Allen's gun, she comments "GTA won't suffice."
- Start My Own: Bonnie references the trope namer (Futurama) when her book choices is commented on by 565-14. This is why she's trying to write her own book.
- Stick Figure Comic: Poorly Drawn Allen.
- Stunned Silence: Allen is at a loss for words after RR-TWTTW comments that the aliens actually speak translated Czech.
- Stylistic Suck: The B Side Comic Poorly Drawn Allen.
- Super Dickery: Parodied. On the cover of a comic book, a superhero says "I'll rape your babies, and murder you, and spoil The Mousetrap." In tiny font, *He's really doing this to help him.
- The Treachery of Images: In the Father's Day strip, a younger Allen says to his father he made him a cake. It's a drawing. (He likes it, though). Cut to the same with Chad and older Allen.
- Thumbtack on the Chair: Defied; Bonnie thinks about doing this to RR-TWTTW, but decides "it'd be too messy".
- The Unpronouncable: How would you pronounce "RR-TWTTW" or "565-14" note They just get called David and Jill (but according to the character sheet, the latter prefers to be called "Elanis"), respectively.
- Trivial Title: Disscused; Elanis complains about these types of titles.