TV Tropes Needs Your Help
View Kickstarter Project
Big things are happening on TV Tropes! New admins, new designs, fewer ads, mobile versions, beta testing opportunities, thematic discovery engine, fun trope tools and toys, and much more - Learn how to help here
and discuss here
Webcomic: Allen The Alien
Allen The Alien
is a strip by ComicFury
(for the most part, respectively the writer and artist). In it, a man named Allen is taken in an Alien Abduction
. Meanwhile, his wife Bonnie is trying to write "the greatest novel ever"...
The comic goes through two successions, the "main" strip, which is slightly more plot based, and the B Side Comic Poorly Drawn Allen
, which is slightly more comedic.
Tropes in this webcomic include:
- Alcohol-Induced Idiocy: Allen's is what sets the plot in motion.
- Alien Abduction: The beginning of the plot.
- Aliens Are Bastards/Humans Are Bastards: RR-TWTTW says that neither are true (it's just he has anger issues and that everyone's just lazy).
- Aliens Speaking English: Subverted. They actually speak Czech.
- Aliens Steal Cattle: Discussed and averted. "[T]hat's only in your stupid earth movies."
- All There in the Manual: The character page reveals some things that aren't mentioned in the actually story (either of them).
- Alphabetical Theme Naming: The character's names (including the aliens' "human" names) are in alphabetical order (not necessarily in chronological introduction order, though). Allen, Bonnie, Chad, David, Elanis.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking:
- Bonnie says that when she finishes her book, she'll get the "Nobel Peace Prize For The Best Book In The World", she'll be a "world idol", and she'll be talked about on a "um... daytime progrum?"
- A superhero says, "I'll rape your babies, and murder you, and spoil The Mousetrap." Technically it's this trope. We think they're all equal.
- Art Evolution: Zig-zagged. The artwork can be in varying degrees of quality. Though there has been something of a downward trend, because they artist is busy with outside conflicts and doesn't really have time to focus on the strip. However, it's starting to improve, cut-and-pasted strips and Poorly Drawn Allen aside.
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs: Bonnie says she's unironic, vain, unironivain, vainunironic.
- Bring My Brown Pants: Bonnie in one strip when she notices an alien ship.
- B-Side Comics: Poorly Drawn Alien, which is very much Stylistic Suck.
- Chew Bubblegum: Parodied.
- Clarke's Law for Girls' Toys: Disscused; Bonnie points out this trope, then 565-14 remarks, "So magic was invented by a woman?"
- Comically Missing the Point: 565-14 remarks, "So magic was invented by a woman?", when Bonnie refernces Clarke's Law for Girls Toys.
- Cut and Paste Comic: Not normally, but one of the main strips did rip the art from an earlier strip. This did not go without lampshading.
- Cute Alien Girl: 565-14, but she is too young to be a Green-Skinned Space Babe.
- Department of Redundancy Department: There is a sign saying "ER Room".
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: The aliens mistake Allen for a girl; RR-TWTTW somehow think he resembles his daughter.
- Dude, Not Ironic: Bonnie says that she is so "ironic". Somebody offscreen points out that that's not what irony is. She says instead that she's "unironic, vain, unironivain, vainunironic".
- Fanservice: Allen is often shirtless/nude (no frontals though).
- Gamer Chick: Averted by Bonnie. Her character profile says she likes video games, but it also says she dislikes this character type.
- Goofy Print Underwear: The heart-covered boxers in this case.
- Guy In A Box: Allen becomes this.
- Humanoid Aliens: They look like humans with antennae.
- Idiosyncratic Chapter Naming: It's always an allusion to a lyric in a song. Not the case with the strip titles, though.
- I Resemble That Remark: RR-TWTTW comments that humans and aliens are just "not wanting to do stuff", commenting that he's too lazy to think of the right word.
- It Runs on Nonsensoleum: Apparently, the English the aliens speak is translated Czech. It's entirely played for laughs.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Bonnie and Allen, according to the characters sheet, anyway.
- Medium Awareness: When Chad gives 565-14 back to RR-TWTTW, he comments that "the writer couldn't think up of a good subplot for her." [sic]
- Meaningful Echo: The Father's Day strip.
- Non Indicative Name: Allen is actually a human.
- Older Than They Look: Allen is about 51 and Bonnie is about 47 (as the characters page says). They don't look it
- Potty Emergency: Subverted. Allen comments that he needs to use the restroom, but he finds one really quickly.
- Progressively Prettier: Inverted with Allen, who started off really attractive. Sadly, it wouldn't last.
- Self-Deprecation: In a caption, we get this gem:
- Shirtless Scene: The very first panel.
- The character page reveals that Allen's full name is "Allen Walker Jericho", and Bonnie's is "Bonnie Swanson Jericho".
- Allen's phone alarm plays "Every Breath You Take".
- The strip names are often this to songs.
- Allen mangles the infamous Chew Bubblegum speech.
- "The Scarlet Ibis" is directly referenced.
- Bonnie is seen holding a Haruhi Suzumiya book.
- Futurama is referenced in one strip. Specifically, "blackjack and hookers" are mentioned to be part of Bonnie's book.
- When Bonnie wants to try Allen's gun, she comments "GTA won't suffice."
- Start My Own: Bonnie references the trope namer (Futurama) when her book choices is commented on by 565-14. This is why she's trying to write her own book.
- Stick Figure Comic: Poorly Drawn Allen.
- Stunned Silence: Allen is at a loss for words after RR-TWTTW comments that the aliens actually speak translated Czech.
- Stylistic Suck: The B Side Comic Poorly Drawn Allen.
- Super Dickery: Parodied. On the cover of a comic book, a superhero says "I'll rape your babies, and murder you, and spoil The Mousetrap." In tiny font, *He's really doing this to help him.
- The Treachery of Images: In the Father's Day strip, a younger Allen says to his father he made him a cake. It's a drawing. (He likes it, though). Cut to the same with Chad and older Allen.
- Thumbtack on the Chair: Defied; Bonnie thinks about doing this to RR-TWTTW, but decides "it'd be too messy".
- The Unpronouncable: How would you pronounce "RR-TWTTW" or "565-14" note They just get called David and Jill (but according to the character sheet, the latter prefers to be called "Elanis"), respectively.
- Trivial Title: Disscused; Elanis complains about these types of titles.