Web Animation / Madoka Abridged
Just like countless other anime series since LittleKuriboh
's Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series
, Puella Magi Madoka Magica
has had its fair share of Abridged Series
. This one, by PonyNotReady, is but one of the longest running, at eight episodes and counting. Her channel has since been suspended. The first six episodes are reposted by Elwingil; the first episode is here
, Episode 7 is here
(password is PonyNotReady), and Episode 8 is here.
This work provides examples of:
- Abridged Series: Exactly What It Says on the Tin
- Accidental Misnaming:
Kyoko: What's up Homura-dawg?
Homura: That horribly obnoxious nickname is reserved for one person and one person only. Please keep it that way.
- Affectionate Parody
- The Alcoholic: Madoka's mother.
- Ass Shove: When someone becomes a magical girl, their soul gem comes out their ass.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: True to Madoka fashion, though Sayaka's reasons for forming the contract just turned a lot dumber.
- Took a turn for the worst when she became a witch...
Sayaka: (Episode 8): ...All I've ever wanted was to be a mermaid, okay, and like, wear a knight's helmet...
Kyouko: Um...are you high?
- Berserk Button: Kyouko hates littering.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall/ No Fourth Wall: Hilariously done.
- Breast Expansion: Mami's wish, despite obviously being in a life-threatening situation. Madoka had no complaints over it though.
Mami: No way! I wished for massive boobs, how else do you think I got these?
- Creepy Monotone: Homura, even to the extent of her emotional scenes.
Homura(Episode 8, to Madoka in a monotone): I'm sorry. My voice isn't matching my emotions. I'm really sad. Please stop sacrificing yourself.
- Cristina Valenzuela: Her face's photoshopped into Homura's face during some sections in Episode 7 and she also provides random voices for Homura in that episode. Hell, she even commented on it.
- Chew Bubblegum: Kyoko's first appearance
Kyoko: I'm here to kick ass and eat food. And I'm all out of food.
Kyubey: Wait, you're out of food?
Kyoko: Of course I'm not out of food. Who do you think I am?
- Curse Cut Short: When Mami first appears
Mami: Allow me to show how badass I am by like shooting these demonic cotton balls with mustaches.
Madoka: Holy shi—CUE Mami fight scene.
- Bilingual Bonus: 'Death to Gaijin', taught by Madoka's teacher
- Deadpan Snarker: Kyuubey's subtitles even have a tag for sarcasm.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Kyubey, which, combined with his Pokémon Speak, makes it hilarious.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Avoided most of Mami's headchomping with MORNING RESCUE!!
- Hurricane of Puns:
- Mami enjoys making them most ironic puns.
(Episode 1, talking to Homura): Hey, Homura! Long time
no see! Geddit? I'm so witty
(Episode 3, talking to Homura): No need to lose your head
over something like this.
- Kyouko practically lives off food idioms.
- I Want My Mommy!: Played as a pun. After Madoka starts crying at the breakfast table her mom naturally questions.
Madoka: I want my Mami!
Junko: But I thought I was your mommy...
- Mondegreen: In Episode 3, when Mami asks Madoka to sing her theme song, this happens.
- Moment Killer: Kyubey attempts to propose to Madoka in Episode 8, but Homura puts a stop to that.
- Noodle Incident: In episode 1, Homura was mentioned to have gotten out of prison. What she did to get into prison is never mentioned.
- Only Known by Her Nickname: Homura-dawg
- Only Sane Man: Homura and Kyuubey.
- Pokémon Speak: Kyubey does this, though it has remarkably become more emotive than the original.
- Power Perversion Potential
- Rihanna: Her songs are a common feature in the series.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Everyone except Hitomi.
- Soul Jar: Soul gems are this.
- The Stoner: Sayaka. She became a witch from drug overdose...
- Stunned Silence: Madoka for several seconds in Episode 6, after tossing Sayaka's Soul Gem off the bridge, and Kyubey says she's dead.
Madoka: I'm sure she'll be fine.
Kyubey: She's DEAD.
(Close-up of Madoka's shocked expression)
- Surrounded by Idiots: Kyuubey, who's annoyed by Mami's stupidy and Kyoko's food bit, and downright creeped out by Sayaka. And he thought that the girls would figure out that something called "Soul Gem" might have a connection with their souls. They didn't. Counts as a Lampshade Hanging to the original series.
- This is for Emphasis, Bitch!: Sayaka usually refers to Homura as a "B-Word" not actually calling her bitch, just B-Word.
Homura: I just saved your lives and this is all you have to say?
Sayaka: Yeah just leave you B-Word!
Homura: (pause) Bye.
: Yeah that's what I thought just turn around and leave B-Wor END
- Telepathy: Kyubey can speak into your brain.
- Too Kinky to Torture: Episode 7, when Kyubey was inducing Sayaka's Soul Gem with pain for insulting it. Her reaction was... not what it expected.
Sayaka: That would have been so much hotter if you were a girl.
(Looking at Sayaka enjoying the pain, subtitled
): What the *** is wrong with you!?
- Transparent Closet: Sayaka, Sayaka...
Hitomi (watching Madoka and Sayaka converse telepathically): Eeew, you guys are acting gay; I'm leaving. (*runs*)
Madoka: Great, now she thinks I'm gay, too.
- Madoka is also a borderline example. During episode 4, she spends a whole conversation with Homura praising Mami's boobs, while Homura was actually talking about her fighting style.
- Ungrateful Bitch: Even after Homura saves Madoka and Sayaka, she still calls her a B-word.
- Waxing Lyrical:
- Valley Girl: Mami - even while speaking Gratuitous Japanese.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: Mami apparently keeps a rifle in her cleavage.
- Vocal Dissonance: Sayaka sounds like a old man. Or at least a very husky voiced middle-aged woman.