A racist Stock Phrase
used by non-Asians to be racist against the Chinese, and, due to Identical-Looking Asians
, other Asians as well.
- Dumb and Dumberer uses this, when Harry and Lloyd try to communicate with a Chinese exchange student. They then nickname her Ching Chong.
- The Wild World of Batwoman used a spirit that alternated between this and talking very, very slowly during the seance.
- Cheech & Chong's Next Movie shows Cheech's cousin, Red, asking Chong how Chinese parents name their children. The "punch line" involves the sound silverware makes when it hits the ground. (Ching chang chong, bing bang bong.) Bonus discomfort points when you remember Chong's father in real life was Chinese.
Recorded and Stand-Up Comedy
- The Missy Elliott song "Work It" contains the line "black white puerto rican chinese boys, wang-thang thang-a thang-a thang-y thang".
- Rucka Rucka Ali actually made a song titled "Ching Chang Chong" mocking various Asian stereotypes.
- Louis C.K. uses it for Self-Deprecation; he describes wondering what a Chinese woman is thinking, "and my dumb brain is telling me she's just thinking: 'Ching chung cheeng, chung cheeng chaing.' That's how dumb I am, that I think Chinese gibberish that I made up is in her actually Chinese mind."
- In A Very Potter Musical, Harry uses this in the song "Ginny's song reprise (cho chang)", to the white, southern Cho.
- Grampa Simpson does this in The Simpsons, in the episode "Children of a Lesser Clod", when an Asian orderly (who is speaking perfect English) shows up to return him to the retirement home.
Chinese Man: Come on Mr. Simpson, you need to be back at the Retirement Home.
Grampa: Thank you Ping-Pong.
Chinese Man: My name is Craig.
Grampa: Suuure it is.
- South Park: when Butters and Cartman try to act Chinese when infiltrating a PF Changs.
- In 2003, then-Los Angeles Laker Shaquille O'Neal had to apologize for a "joke" he made during an interview about Houston Rocket Yao Ming ("Tell Yao Ming, 'ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-soh'").
- Likewise, Rosie O'Donnell got in a lot of trouble in 2006 when she made racially insensitive remarks about the Chinese which included this phrase, as seen here.
- The Viral Video "UCLA Asians in the Library." Describing the rude behavior of the horde of Asians in the aforementioned library, who will answer their phones and say "Ohhh! Ching chong ling long ting tong? Ohhh!" just as one is about to have an epiphany while doing Poli-Sci homework.
- Rush Limbaugh on Hu Jintao.
- Just when you thought this was on its way to being a Discredited Trope, we have this April 2013 case.
- Asians living in the USA get this nearly every day.