open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Little Lulu:
- In Episode 6, Lulu is looking through a pair of binoculars while she and the others are looking for fires to fight (long story). When she removes them, she ends up with black rings around her eyes, as the others start yukking it up about it.
- In Episode 12, Lulu attempts to do this to the mean butler, but unfortunately for her, he is wise to the trick, so he sticks the binoculars on Lulu's face, causing this to happen to her a second time.
- Used in The Far Side with professional astronomers pulling this prank on each other at work.
Films — Live-Action
- Mahoney pulls it on Captain Harris in Police Academy. Not on a eyepiece, though, but on a megaphone, thus leaving a dark mark around the captain's mouth.
- Arthur: Arthur does this to Binky in "Arthur's April Fools". He was afraid most of the book that Binky would pull a prank on him, and ended up turning the tables at the end. He told Binky to go home and look through the paper tube at the mirror to decode a written message—that said 'April fool's'.
- In the Harry Potter series, Fred and George invent a joke telescope that gives someone a black eye when they attempt to use it, and the only way to clear it is with their antidote. Hermione grabs it absentmindedly once and it still punches her, even though she wasn't looking through it.
- CSI NY: Lindsay gets one of these from her husband, in a prank meant for Adam, the lab tech. She wears glasses the rest of the episode to hide it and spends most of it trying to determine the prankster. She tells Danny she'll find a way to get him back for it.
- MASH episode "The Joker Is Wild". During a practical joke contest, Colonel Potter gets "Ring Around the Eyes" when he looks through a pair of binoculars.
- Roseanne: Darlene did this to catch DJ spying on the neighbor, Molly. It doesn't go as planned though when DJ comes downstairs with no marks on his eye. Then David comes downstairs... note
- One of the Hilarious Outtakes from Toy Story 2 has this happen to Buzz after he looks through Lenny, the toy binoculars.
- In the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic episode "Griffon the Brush Off", Pinkie Pie does this to Rainbow Dash using a telescope that the latter was looking in to see the results of their squirting turtle prank.
- Ed, Edd n Eddy: Ed is using an opened-up can as a binocular. When he puts it away, a ring where the can once was is on Ed's eye.
- This happens to Spock in the Star Trek: The Animated Series episode "The Practical Joker". After the Enterprise passes through a mysterious energy field, the ship's computer starts pulling practical jokes on the crew. One example is coating the rim of a viewing device with a black pigment. When Spock looks into it, it leaves rings around his eyes.
- In an April Fools' Day/Clip Show episode of The Simpsons, the employees of the Frying Dutchman Restaurant do this to their boss, Captain MacAlister, as he's looking through a telescope. "From this day, I be requiring hairnets."
- Done a few times in The Smurfs, in "April Smurf's Day" and "Jokey's Joke Book".
- Dennis the Menace and Gnasher: In "You and Whose Army", Curly hands Dennis a telescope. Dennis asks Curly if he has put boot polish round the eyepiece. Curly says no and raises the telescope to his own eye to demonstrate, only to find that Dennis has put boot polish on the eyepiece.